BMW F30 335i Xdrive (PWG) Pure stage 2 + tune requirements

///M3

Perhaps some of you are interested, I have Pure turbo stage 2 + installation kit + high flow inlet 2inch + diverter valve to be installed.
I'll install everything in 2 weeks. This is the list of mods I currently have.

Mods:
JB4 Tune (running map 5 for now)
M performance exhaust
CTS turbo catless downpipe
CTSturbo Intercooler
VRSF Charge pipe
BMS intake

To be installed:
Pure turbo stage 2 (pneumatic) +
Installation kit +
high flow inlet 2inch +
diverter valve +

I'm looking to get around 450WHP without effecting the reliability of the car + I dont drag, i just like to have that extra power.

Since, this is my first experience with a turbo upgrade, I want to make sure that everything will run smoothly without any hiccups in the process.

Is there anything I should know about before starting the installation?

Will I be safe if I don't upgrade the fuel system (for now).
Can I keep the jb4 + ps2? I know some tunners threw away jb4 and went with BM3 or MHD tune.

In addition, I'm not planning on getting a meth kit for now. I want to make sure that the car is healthy and runs smoothly.

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. I will be posting some pictures once the installation is completed with dyno results.

Well first of all fuel is the key , if you stay on gas pump the car will run fine but you won't benefit of all the power this turbo can do , putting a n20 tmap will get your boost target higher on the jb4 , with that type of turbo suggest running a back end flash (mhd + jb4)

Well first of all fuel is the key , if you stay on gas pump the car will run fine but you won't benefit of all the power this turbo can do , putting a n20 tmap will get your boost target higher on the jb4 , with that type of turbo suggest running a back end flash (mhd + jb4)

I know that i wont unlock the full potential unless i get a water meth kit, but is 94octane good enough to get me to 450whp? Sorry about my ignorance, but isnt mhd an ecu flash? why would i need to combine it with the jb4?

I think it should or you can still do sometime mix 94 with alcohol,

For the backend flash I'm just gonna copy a text for you too read

What benefits does a back end flash map add to the JB4?

Adding in the back end flash map allows JB4 adjustment over a wider range of engine parameters than are available on the factory flash. Including direct adjustment of timing and fueling tables, VANOS adjustment, fuel scalar adjustment for heavier E85 mixtures than possible JB4 only, speed limiter delete, optional exhaust burble, higher calculated torque reported to the automatic transmission, and a host of other parameters than are only possible via flashing the DME.

What are the benefits of running a JB4 with a flash rather than flash only for tuning?

While it's possible to tune an F series without a JB4 doing so comes with many disadvantages.

1) With JB4s unique features and logic paths, combined with the flexibility of adjusting DME tables directly via the back end flash map, you get better quality, safety, and more powerful tuning. The JB4 includes more robust safety systems than are possible via flash only. Starting with fundamental safety systems like reverting to a safety map if boost exceeds your safety setting, if the air/fuel ratio in either bank turns dangerously lean, or if fuel pressure drops below a safe level. While you might think the DME alone can handle these basic safety systems surprisingly it's not the case. The DME will happily let you run along at full power and a 18:1 AFR, with boost pegged, and the only fuel pressure safety provided is when fuel pressure drops down so low fuel injection itself has to be suspended.

2) More mapping options including absolute boost target maps. The JB4 boost control system is programmed to offer both absolute and additive maps. Absolute meaning you'll always target a specific boost level. Unlike the DME which naturally implements a LOAD control system where boost levels go down when it's cold and go up when its warm. The opposite of what you generally want for turbocharged performance. In addition the JB4 is quick and easily adaptable to a wide range of setups eliminating the need for expensive custom boost tuning and the risks that come with repeated logs on systems that are not yet setup. It's not uncommon for engine damage to occur while a new setup is initially being dialed in. The JB4 automatically tunes wastegate dutycycle, fuel trims, and other important tuning criteria full time in the background greatly simplifying the tuning process. In addition the JB4 auto-tuning map can self tune for various ethanol mixtures without the need of an expensive and difficult to install flex fuel sensor. Pedal to boost mapping, spool aggression, boost by gear, and other critical factors can be easily adjusted to suit the needs for the particular track or racing situation.

3) On the fly changes. Whether it's changing the boost/power level, boost by gear setting (including being able to disable it on the fly for burn outs or if traction turns out to be better than expected), pedal input, exhaust flap position, or what gauges are shown in dash, the JB4 allows a wide range of user adjustment real time from the drivers seat without having to use a 3rd party device or risk programming the DME between runs. You're able to make the changes while out on the track where you need to make them.

4) The JB4 allows for much better real time feedback to the driver. User adjustable in dash gauges allow you to keep a constant eye on boost, timing, knock, meth flow, and/or AFR, all selectable and changeable on the fly from the drivers seat. A user adjustable shift light can be triggered making rowing through the gears easier. JB4 Mobile allows wireless bluetooth logging via your Android or Apple phone without a cable locked in your OBDII port. In addition you can select map0 on the fly to allow OBDII port logging and diagnostics when needed for vehicle service. The JB4 default logging set includes all relevant data required for tuning including boost, timing cylinders 1-6, AFR and fuel trims in both banks, high and low fuel pressure, load, calculated torque, trans temperature, and many other parameters. The JB4 provides a simple to use but incredibly robust data logging system eliminating the need to select what parameters to record before each run and providing instant on the fly charting without the need of 3rd party internet programs. We routinely add parameters to the JB4 logging set based on customer feedback and evolving tuning requirements.

5) Integrated JB4 features such as anti-lag, port injection control, flex fuel sensor, and progressive water/meth (WMI) control eliminate the need for independent add on boxes that are more difficult to install and technically unable to communicate with each other. Integration allows these extra features to share information for a smooth and cohesive tuning solution. When the DME requests a torque drop due to traction or stability control the JB4, WMI, and PI systems all respond accordingly. WMI integration is able to hold boost levels low UNTIL fluid is flowing adequately to prevent spool up and transitional knock, adjust your boost target if the fluid being injected turns out not to be as potent as was expected or required to prevent knock, and in the event of a fail-safe depending on the severity of the situation either lower your boost target partially OR instantly dump boost out the diverter/close the throttle/cut timing. These are just some of the many examples of why having add on boxes an features all integrated through a single system is advantageous.

6) Does not require a MAP sensor change for higher boost levels. On S55 models the JB4 can control up to 36psi with both factory sensors, and on N55 models can control up to 21psi with both factory sensors, and 36psi by replacing the TMAP sensor only with a 3.5bar. In addition to saving money on a 3.5bar MAP sensor on the S55 in particular it reduces headaches having to switch the hard to reach MAP sensor back to stock when flashing to stock.

7) Free maps for life. The JB4 is widely used and widely supported including free unlocked back end flash maps and custom mapping support from BMS via the n54tech support forum. BMS sponsors and attends several 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile races per year continuously improving the JB4 base maps and features based on real world experience and feedback. These updates are provided free of charge to JB4 customers via n54tech firmware posts.

8) The JB4 hardware is robust, reliable, highly developed, and upgradable, with many thousands of systems in use since 2008 when it was first released. The key to the JB4’s success is that it DOES NOT replace the factory engine computer or DME. The JB4 simply adds on to functionality already provided by the DME. As a result the DME remains in full control of your engine at all times with the JB4 dynamically making small but impactful adjustments to add in extra safety systems and features and dramatically improve performance. And unlike disposable flash maps the JB4 is a physical system you can remove and resell down the road.

Last edited:
I almost bought one but decided to got ps1 instead.... I regretted and not at the same time give a bit more power for my daily drive but I tough half a turbo would be easier job to do instead of a full turbo and It was a shitty job to do lol It was almost the same job and time of a full turbo , if I knew this before install it , I would take a ps2

I almost bought one but decided to got ps1 instead.... I regretted and not at the same time give a bit more power for my daily drive but I tough half a turbo would be easier job to do instead of a full turbo and It was a shitty job to do lol It was almost the same job and time of a full turbo , if I knew this before install it , I would take a ps2

I was debating between Dinan big turbo or PS1 . Did my homework and went with PS2. Go big or go home lol .

Who did the job on your car? Vag motosport agreed to do the full job on mine.

:yikes:
Boss*tu*

did you dyno your car? what other mods do you have?

no i didn't go to dyno yet , I should go to see how many whp it make.

I got a couple of bolt on :JB4+mhd , charge pipe , downpipe , bms intake

maybe next mods intercooler and high flow inlet

no i didn't go to dyno yet , I should go to see how many whp it make.

I got a couple of bolt on :JB4+mhd , charge pipe , downpipe , bms intake

maybe next mods intercooler and high flow inlet

I'm concidering MHD backend flash + the JB4 I already have.

How do you like MHD so far as oppose of having only jb4?

I'm thinking about buying OTS stage 2 + and PS2 OTS map

In the beginning I was only running the jb4 , I tough the car was pulling fine but after doing a few logs and send it to Terry at burgertuning made some change and test after that I put a n20 tmap to get a higher boost target , the car was running good but I felt that it was not at is full potential so I ask terry was about the backend flash , so I did the backend flash and seriously the car was change better throttle response ,less lag etc.

So you should stick with your jb4 and do a backend flash.

The MHD you only need to pay the liscence for the flash ,you can buy there map too but terry made some maps that are free that you can use , that's what I did

In the beginning I was only running the jb4 , I tough the car was pulling fine but after doing a few logs and send it to Terry at burgertuning made some change and test after that I put a n20 tmap to get a higher boost target , the car was running good but I felt that it was not at is full potential so I ask terry was about the backend flash , so I did the backend flash and seriously the car was change better throttle response ,less lag etc.

So you should stick with your jb4 and do a backend flash.

The MHD you only need to pay the liscence for the flash ,you can buy there map too but terry made some maps that are free that you can use , that's what I did

Some performance shop promote eurocharge claiming more power over MHD. I don't know how reliable that information is.

Did you have to upgrade your Lpfp?

I don't know about eurocharge but flashing with mhd with the maps of Terry , you can still play with the jb4 with the duty bias boost etc. And do some logs and look at it to make the car right.At the end is still your fuel that will make the power.

I did not upgrade my lpfp , I'm not running pure e85 , I run mix fuel instead when I want to have fun a bit with the car.

Some people with ps2 like you upgrade the hpfp for more power but no need in your case if you only want 450whp.

I don't know about eurocharge but flashing with mhd with the maps of Terry , you can still play with the jb4 with the duty bias boost etc. And do some logs and look at it to make the car right.At the end is still your fuel that will make the power.

I did not upgrade my lpfp , I'm not running pure e85 , I run mix fuel instead when I want to have fun a bit with the car.

Some people with ps2 like you upgrade the hpfp for more power but no need in your case if you only want 450whp.

So I just got the PS2 kit. Anyone knows a good performance shop that have already installed Pure turbos on BMW N55? And for those who have done it. How many hours of installation should it take?

They are.. I think vag have done 1 or 2 cars with the same turbo upgrade. They are excellent but i was curious to know if any shops have done multiple PS2 upgrades and tunes.

Back