Help me choose a gift for my GF (1st car)

VolksWannabe

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about what to get for my girlfriend (24), her birthday is coming soon (october) and she has her learners liscence. She can't practice much and she's thinking about getting a car.

I drive standard and she won't drive standard, it would have to be automatic (girl oriented, so no crazy HP needed) a solid car, durable, not too much maintenance and I think I would go in the 4 to 5k budget.

I'd like to know what you guys think... I did look at consumer reports and they do recommend a series of car, since i've been there for a while I would like to know what you guys think.

Thanks !!

Tell me you've been with this girl forever and you're engaged because why the hell would you want to buy your girlfriend a 5k car? I guess you keep it in your name and sell it after the possible break up...but still.

I'm not wishing you anything bad or anything, I just never understood huge gifts like that. lol

Thanks for the suggestions,

I've been living at her house for 2 years now, paying nothing but food. I guess I owe her a car ;)

I've been looking around and found Infiniti G20 in that range (2000-2002) what do you guys think ?

Thanks for the suggestions,

I've been living at her house for 2 years now, paying nothing but food. I guess I owe her a car ;)

I've been looking around and found Infiniti G20 in that range (2000-2002) what do you guys think ?

Fixing it will be expensive.

Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla / Matrix / Yaris
Pontiac Vibe
Acura 1.7
Mazda Protege
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Sentra
Subaru Impreza
Ford Focus

Etc.

Finalement pour ce montant, tu devrais prendre une petite voiture la plus récente possible

An Infinity G20 is nice. What you have to calculate is:

IS the extra maintenance cost worth the extra luxury/features/comfort/performance compared to a regular car?

If the answer is Yes, go for it. If the answer is NO, than get something less expensive to maintain.

As long as you are aware and happy with that, buying an older luxury car is great.

Other suggestions:
If you want the newest possible car you would probably get good deals in the Optras, Cobalt/G5....not sure what 5k will get you though....probably a 2005.

A Focus hatch SES with winter pack is also a very good overall car. Has TC and heated seats/mirrors which will be nice in winter, easy to drive and park and low maintenance costs.

Back