News: VW Golf R400 (Golf R on steroids) - update VW will build it

allroad

Sadly it is a concept however this would be the first Super Golf. Will VW commercialize it, most probably not because it would trash Audi. Lighter and more powerful than the Golf R, what is there not to like here.

volkswagen-golf-r-400-concept-2014-beijing-auto-show_100464795_l.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r-400-concept-2014-beijing-auto-show_100464798_l.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r-400-concept-2014-beijing-auto-show_100464797_l.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r-400-concept-2014-beijing-auto-show_100464801_l.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r-400-concept-2014-beijing-auto-show_100464802_l.jpg

The concept, which was revealed today on the eve of the 2014 Beijing Auto Show, is called the Golf R 400 (400 refers to its metric horsepower measurement, ps) and performance is impressive for a compact hatch: VW quotes a 0-62 mph time of 3.9 seconds, and a super-sedan baiting top speed of 174 mph. Peak torque, meanwhile, is a tick under 332 pound-feet.

In order to reach this kind of performance, the regular Golf R’s turbocharged and direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder received significant tuning, and the 4MOTION all-wheel drive with an electro-mechanical Haldex multi-plate clutch helps transfer the shove to the wheels. In normal driving, power goes to the front wheels to help boost efficiency, but the rear axle can be variably engaged in fractions of a second as soon as this becomes necessary. This is done by means of the aforementioned Haldex coupling that is activated by an oil pump.

The transmission is VW’s six-speed DSG dual-clutch. A number of electronic driving aids are also featured, including electronic differentials that are integrated with the electronic stability control system. And there is VW’s XDS+ system on both the front and rear axles, which brakes the wheels at the inside of a bend during fast cornering, and which optimizes steering response to also serve as a transverse differential lock.

Volkswagen says the Golf R 400 weighs just 3,130 lbs (over 100 lbs less than the current Golf R) thanks to a stripped-out cabin and carbon fiber panels. The latter manifest themselves visually with wider wheel arches--a nod to the 1988 Rallye Golf G60--and deep front and rear bumpers. Aerodynamic aids consist of the new front splitter, side sills, dual rear spoilers and a rear diffuser.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...00-concept-revealed-at-2014-beijing-auto-show

In other VW news, it looks like the Golf GTD will not come to N.A. due to pricing.

Volkswagen Americas CEO Michael Horn said the chances of the GTD coming to the U.S. are diminishing. The VW executive said the diesel hot hatch would be too expensive to sell on this side of the Atlantic.

That's because the GTD's 2.0-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder engine can't be built at the VW engine plant in Silao, Mexico, so it would have to be imported from Germany. This would significantly affect the car's cost.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091561_vw-golf-gtd-u-s-sales-in-jeopardy-report

Last edited:
shut up and take my money ...

Mais la R est déjà overprice, je veux pas imaginer celle la.

The ultimate Toy car ! but most probably it's going to be tagged close to 70k canadian and no ones going to buy it ...

shut up and take my money ...

Mais la R est déjà overprice, je veux pas imaginer celle la.

I agree, I found the MKVI R to be overpriced but the MKVII is more special. For this R400 I would give $50-$55K if it were a limited model. Mind you, with the MKVII R and some tweaks you will have a fun small car.

I agree, I found the MKVI R to be overpriced but the MKVII is more special. For this R400 I would give $50-$55K if it were a limited model. Mind you, with the MKVII R and some tweaks you will have a fun small car.

50-55k lolll ive already went to vw arbour when my rabbit was almost up the end of my lease , so i was looking at that blue R32 mk5 they imported from new-jersey about 5,000km on it ( cannot get a new one ) so this car is used , imported and when i asked her the price tax in everything .. guess how much lollll

i shit you not ... 56k dude .. for a used r32 i laught so hard and told her never mind ...

50-55k lolll ive already went to vw arbour when my rabbit was almost up the end of my lease , so i was looking at that blue R32 mk5 they imported from new-jersey about 5,000km on it ( cannot get a new one ) so this car is used , imported and when i asked her the price tax in everything .. guess how much lollll

i shit you not ... 56k dude .. for a used r32 i laught so hard and told her never mind ...

That is retarded. No justification to price it at $56K unless they find a sucker. 2 years ago when I bought my wife the GTI, VW Des Sources had a blue Golf R at the list price of $40K. I could not justify the premium over the GTI.

GTI's are decently priced, two doors starts at 27 larges. Give it a few options and it's almost the same price as a Dart. I don't know which one I'd chose!

Oh yeah, and the new Golf R's performances could've been better for it's step asking price.

J'aimerai vraiment que tu m'explique en quoi la GTI est overprice...

gti a 28k.

Focus ST 29995$
Veloster Turbo 27264$
Mazdaspeed 3 29995$
Civic Si 26245$

?

... the ST at that price is a 5 doors fully equip car ...

go build yourself a 5 doors GTI with the same amount of options of the ST and you got yourself a nice 40k small FWD car ( yes with taxes )

go build yourself a 5 doors GTI with the same amount of options of the ST and you got yourself a nice 40k small FWD car ( yes with taxes )

Ok, je te donne 4 auto de prix comparable a la GTI, et tout ce que tu a trouvé c'est UN argument peu valable sur la ST.

Va voir la liste d'équipement de la gti.. ta pas besoin de mettre aucune options et tu a déjà un char sur la coche... wtf..

Encore des beaux préjugés que la GTI est overprice...

c'est la différence de prix entre la 2 portes et la 4 portes qui est overprice, pourquoi autant de différence entre les 2 ? Il a 5$ de diff pour une Honda entre 2 et 4 portes. Je crois que c'est peut être ca son point de vue. Moi le premier j'aimerai bien un GTI 4 portes, mais avec les tx et tout, on est à 40 000$ ( avec GPS car honda l'a d'inclu )

So, based on Ford.ca , I got a 5 door Focus ST w/ leather, 6 speed, sunroof, weather package and some tech options ( no Ford-Sync & no Sirius plan - 2450 option total ) without the rear useless dvd infotainement system for 39 223$ total including taxes.
Based on vw.ca , I got a 5 door GTI, leather, 6 speed, sunroof, tech and weather package with the 18 wheels ( 1790$ options ). comes to a total of 41 597$.

I'd say these two are pretty competitve, amirite

@lastlong : je me suis trompé, c'est 28 414$... c'est encore pire, faut vraiment être cave pour acheter ça a ce prix.

@joe tanto : je suis daccord que le prix entre la 2 portes et la 4 portes est important, mais c'est juste 2k de plus que la ST ou la Speed... pas dequoi d'assez important pour aller voir ailleur à mon avis.

Back