** Official 2020-2021 Montréal Canadiens Thread **

L’arbitrage NYI vs TB c’était de la grosse marde sale. Yon donner un but à Palat alors que TB avait 7 hommes sur la patinoire, pénalité de cross checking de Point sur Varlamov. Vraiment pourri l’arbitrage. La NHL doivent corriger ça au PC sa scrap toute le spectacle.

L’arbitrage NYI vs TB c’était de la grosse marde sale. Yon donner un but à Palat alors que TB avait 7 hommes sur la patinoire, pénalité de cross checking de Point sur Varlamov. Vraiment pourri l’arbitrage. La NHL doivent corriger ça au PC sa scrap toute le spectacle.

Deux des 7 joueurs sont sur la LTIR alors ça compte pas comme trop d'hommes sur la patinoire.

Kucherov a autant de points en 13 matchs de série que Drouin en 44 matchs de saison régulière.

C'est peut-être ça qu'on devrait faire avec lui et le laisser en LTIR jusqu'aux séries de l'an prochain? C'est pas comme-ci on va le manquer sur la glace de toute façon.

À part LG et 350z25, il n'y a pas de boomers ici (1946 à 1964).

Je suis Gen X mon chou. J'ai grandi dans les années 80 quand on avait encore le douâaa de faire des choses.

Meanwhile at the NHL dept of officiating:

201446776_513173816769720_334732053941066265_n.jpg

Jay Baruchel, the Canadian actor, was calling from somewhere deep in the Canadian wilderness, and he was talking about hockey. Specifically, he was near Kingston, Ont., and much more specifically, he was discussing the fate of his beloved Montreal Canadiens.

“This is what sucks the hardest: Until this morning, it was just like, ‘Everything is gravy, we have no expectations of winning — whatever happens, rock and roll, baby,’” he said with a laugh. “Now, all of the sudden, like fucking clockwork, it’s like, ‘No, now my life depends on this.’”

The Vegas Golden Knights eliminated the Colorado Avalanche the night before, setting up a surprising Stanley Cup semifinal series with Montreal. The Canadiens emerged as playoff champions of the NHL’s North Division with a comeback win over Toronto, and a grinding, lunchpail sweep of Winnipeg.

Montreal has gone from playoff longshot to within eight wins of a Stanley Cup title, and much of it is thanks to goaltender Carey Price, who leads all playoff goalies this season with a .935 save percentage and is third with a 1.97 goals-against average entering the semifinal round.

“I’m going to be sick to my stomach through every single game,” said Baruchel.

He has confidence in the players, he said, and the system in which they play. He also has confidence in their goaltender. Baruchel co-starred in a commercial with Price, and they have known each other socially through the years.

“I only ever see him in super-weird, specific places like awards shows,” he said. “There’s a bunch of nice guys in hockey, but Carey is a super, super easygoing dude.”

Ahead of the Stanley Cup semifinal, The Athletic called 11 former teammates (along with mentors and co-stars) to ask about a goalie who rarely seems rattled by the bright lights and big stages. (Years in parentheses show the time period the player was teammates with Price.)

USATSI_16118685-2048x1416.jpg

Carey Price
Price held the Maple Leafs, the North Division’s top-scoring team, to six goals over the final three games of their first-round series as Montreal rallied from 3-1 down for a surprising win. (John E. Sokolowski / USA Today)

Mike Weaver, defenceman, Montreal Canadiens (2013-15): I’d never met a normal goalie until I met Carey Price.

Shaun Vey, forward, Tri-City Americans (2004-07): He’s pretty calm. I think that might be one of his biggest strengths, and why he’s lasted in Montreal as long as he has.

Weaver: Anybody who stands in front of 100 mile-per-hour shots consistently is a little off. Goalies typically keep to themselves. They’re just a little different. But I’m telling you: Carey Price is just as normal as they come.

Olaf Kolzig, former NHL goaltender: It’s his demeanour. He’s the perfect person to play that position in Montreal. The pressure just kind of rolls off his back.

Alex Aldred, forward, Tri-City (2005-07): He was the cornerstone of the team.

Kolzig: He always wanted to get in a scrap in practice with me. And I don’t know if he was just trying to see where he was at. But he was fun that way.

Vey: He hated getting scored on in practice. Visibly angry.

Brett Festerling, defenceman, Tri-City (2002-05): You can tell it irks him. He hated — hated — getting beat.

Vey: You could just see the look in his eye. He’d swat the puck away, and then he’d make sure he got you the next time. I don’t remember him being a swear-er. I just remember, when you did beat him, you could just sense the disgust in him, in his eyes. He’d swat the puck away. And the next time, he’d make sure he’d bear right down and didn’t let you score.

Aldred: He was too good for junior, to be honest, and just kind of proved it the more he’s been playing — through Hamilton and through Montreal.

Zack Stortini, forward, Hamilton Bulldogs (2006-07): I remember him playing his first game, and it was like, “Wow, this guy is unbelievable.”

Corey Locke, forward, Hamilton (2006-08): I remember him coming in for the last weekend of the season. We had three games in three days. We clinched a playoff spot, but we were fighting with Rochester for home ice. He played on the Friday night against Grand Rapids at home. I recall this five-on-three power-play that Grand Rapids had. They were just zipping it around, going cross-box, seam and all this stuff. He made three or four unbelievable saves. I was just like, “Wow, that’s pretty impressive.”

Yann Danis, goaltender, Hamilton (2006-08): That was my third year there. I had played just over half the games. I was hoping to get the chance to play in the playoffs. Actually, I was told that I was going to play in the playoffs. And then things changed. If I’m honest, I wasn’t too thrilled with how things went down at the time.

Locke: I just remember being like, “How did this kid lose in Tri-City in the playoffs?”

Danis: He was respectful. I think he felt a little bad, obviously. But I didn’t blame him for anything. Obviously that wasn’t his fault. He came in, and he was asked to play. He did, and he played well.

NHL all-time playoff GAA leaders
1 Turk Broda 1937-1952 1.97 6386:03
2 Dominik Hasek 1991-2008 2.02 7316:53
3 Martin Brodeur 1992-2012 2.02 12717:01
4 Chris Osgood 1994-2009 2.09 7650:58
5 Jacques Plante 1953-1973 2.12 6645:43
6 Braden Holtby 2012-2020 2.13 6012:47
7 Ed Belfour 1990-2004 2.17 9943:24
8 Tuukka Rask 2010-2021 2.22 6540:42
9 Jonathan Quick 2010-2018 2.23 5250:11
10 Patrick Roy 1986-2003 2.30 15205:18
11 Henrik Lundqvist 2006-2020 2.30 7935:25
12 Carey Price 2008-2021 2.36 4850:18
Min. 4500 TOI

Ajay Baines, forward, Hamilton (2006-08): He comes in, and he’s staying at the hotel. I lived with Ryan O’Byrne, Matt D’Agostini and Kyle Chipchura. I was the old guy with the three young guys. We lived in an apartment, and we’d always have dinner together. We told Carey after practice, “We’ll pick you up at the hotel: Come have dinner with us tonight and hang out.”

Duncan Milroy, forward, Hamilton (2006-08): He didn’t come across as an arrogant, cocky young kid, where “this is just a pit stop for me.” He came in with the intention of, “I’m going to be a part of this team, and I’m going to get along.”

Baines: Carey’s over. We’re just hanging out. Chipper had a PlayStation. They’re playing FIFA soccer. I had a buddy, Steve Gainey. His dad, Bob, was general manager in Montreal. Steve was assistant coach of the (Kamloops) Blazers that year in the WHL. He called and said, “I’ve got to tell you an interesting story. In 1985, Montreal called up a 19-year-old goalie to their farm team. They threw him in the net for the playoffs, and they went and won the Calder Cup and the goalie got MVP.” I said, “Let me guess: Patrick Roy?” I pulled the phone down from my face. Carey and Chipchura were playing PlayStation. I go, “Carey, you hear that? In 1985, the Habs called up a 19-year-old goalie to their farm team and he went in the net and won the Cup and MVP of the playoffs.” No word of a lie, he was so calm and cool. He kept pressing the buttons, looked at me and goes: “That’s it? That’s all I got to do? OK.” And then, two months later, he’s MVP and we won the Calder Cup.

Stortini: There was a time I took a penalty. They scored on it. I felt awful. He just gave me a little pat: “Don’t worry about it.” It just shows his incredible leadership at that age.

Festerling: He’s just a good, salt-of-the-earth, small-town boy. He reminds me of home, his personality. Super-quiet. Big family guy. Still loves the farm and the country.

Aldred: I think he’s got a close circle of friends that he probably opens up a little bit to. If you’re in the dressing room, he’s not really saying too much. He’s not a rah-rah guy. You know he’s definitely a team guy, and if things aren’t going our way, he would definitely voice his opinion. It wasn’t all the time. When he’s talking, everybody listens.

Vey: Carey doesn’t talk a lot about himself. That’s my experience with him. So when we get together, we don’t talk about hockey. If I’m really interested in something, I’ll ask him something. It’s his personality. He doesn’t like to talk about himself. He would rather talk about family and other passions, and put hockey aside and leave that at the rink.

Kolzig: He’s even more calm now than back in junior. That obviously comes with maturity. I mean, he was a calm guy at 17. But to play all those years in such a pressure-packed city. … I remember the time they traded (Jaroslav) Halak (in the 2010 offseason). It was a preseason game, and they didn’t play really well. This was after Halak did what he did to Washington in the playoffs. And I remember the quote: Carey goes, “Relax, it’s just preseason.” I don’t think people really took it that well. But if you know Carey, it’s exactly what he means. It’s like, “Hey, I’ll be there when the pressure’s really on.”

Weaver: When I was there, (Michel) Therrien was coach. It was a simple drill. The puck would get dumped in by the forward. The defenceman would turn around and go behind the net. The goalie would set it up, and they would leave it and go in front of the net. I would pick it up and pass it to the forward who came down low. That forward would just skate down the ice and, at the red line, dump it in, and it would start at that end. We’re in playoffs. It’s supposed to be a calm drill. A warm-up drill. Carey started throwing it into my feet, from not even three feet away. He thought it was funny … it turned into tradition. Every time we did that drill, all the coaches started laughing.

Baruchel: When you throw a non-actor onto set, and you put them in front of cameras and crew and lights, I don’t care how many stadiums they’ve played in, it is more focused and intimate. It’s a hurdle that I still have to trick myself into getting past, and I’ve been doing this since 1995. For a lot of people who have never really done it, it can reasonably and understandably freak them the fuck out. And to ask them to then not look like they’re stressed, and not stare into the camera, but also ask them to come up with shit to say? That’s insane. I mention all of this because we sit down and shoot with Carey, and he rolls in, ice-water in his veins and is quite self-deprecating.

Baines: He’s goofy. He’s got a great sense of humour. He’s not afraid to laugh and smile at any time.

Baruchel: I’m a bit of an asshole with ad-libbing. I always do it. Whether or not they use it, it’s up to them. I’m sure it’s to the chagrin of a lot of the people who have hired me. But it’s there. It’s always there. I just can’t help it. And so I always start fucking about. And goddammit, man, he was up for it.

Aldred: Can we be surprised by anything that Carey Price does now? If he were to get a shutout it, it’s like, “Yeah, that’s Carey Price.”

Milroy: Out of all the people you’re talking to, I’d be shocked if you told me somebody said anything bad about him.

Danis: A lot of people were talking in recent years that maybe his play wasn’t up to the same level. In Montreal, they’re quick to turn around. Now? You see the Carey Price who is in the zone. And when he’s that way, there’s no doubt he’s still the best goalie in the league. I don’t think anybody comes close to that level. He can literally win games for you.

Milroy: It’s fun to see. If anything, it can be a little annoying because everybody knows I played with Carey Price, so I get text messages, and I get phone calls. At work, people keep asking me about Carey. It’s like they think I’ve got him on speed dial and I can talk to him.

Kolzig: I texted him after the Toronto series, after Game 7. I said, “What a game, what a hell of a series.” He texted me back: “It’s funny, this hockey thing.” It wasn’t anything like, “Aw yeah, thanks man. It’s just unbelievable.” It’s just ho-hum, onto the next series. It’s great to watch.

Danis: I have my oldest kid, who’s a big fan. We’re watching the games together. He’s got his Carey Price jersey. He’s a big Carey Price fan.

Back