Honking at a green light.

lorida

TLDR: Do you honk when a light turns green (after a reasonable delay)?

Long story: I was behind a car at a traffic light. Traffic was intense, as it always is on lower Atwater ave. The light turns green, 3-4 seconds go by. The driver in front of me was clearly looking at his lap and not paying attention (cellphone?), so I gave the lightest possible tap of my horn to alert the driver it was time to goooooo.

HE RAGED. He gives me the finger, we start driving. I don't care, it's a beautiful day, I'm calm. Granted we just left a light, I'm 5-10ft behind. He then slams his brakes once. I couldn't react fast enough and tapped his bumper. Then he fully locks up his brakes and that's when there was a solid connect. Luckily, no damage.

A 65 year old man then get's out of his car yelling and screaming at his wife "CALL THE POLICE, CALL THE POLICE". Then he starts yelling at me. I was omega calm and talked him out of his rage.

To me I did him a favour by letting him know the light was green. Clearly, he doesn't think so.

Thinking back, I should've let the police come. With the witness at the intersection, I'm fairly confident he would've gotten the ticket. But, I had better things to do.

So, honk or no? In NY everyone honks. Even the person at the front of the intersection honks. But they do it after .0000001 seconds, which isn't reasonable.

La lumière tombe verte et tu n'avances pas , en plus la personne text ou regarde son cell, c'est clair je klaxonne !

Aucun prob avec ça....... anyway jlaurais caller la police et réclamer à mes assurances... C'Est clair qu'il a fait un brake check et il est responsable... Ca lui aurait donné une lecon!!

I don't honk, just give an evil stare. ( not like it would do much good ) You have good reason to honk, idiot should pay attention to driving instead of phone.

I wore out my honk on the cavalier because I was using it so much. Sorry for your experience with a guy who hasn't gotten much from his wife and hates the world.

Mettons qu'après 3 bonnes secondes, je klaxonne. Malheureusement tu a raison, 80% du temps quand la personne avance pas a la lumière, c'est a cause qu'il/elle est sur son cell.

Desfois j'me dit qu'il peut bien avoir du traffic, la lumière tombe verte et chaque voiture prend toujours 2-3 secondes a réagir... effet accordéon.

Y'a rien de plus normal que de klaxonner un automobiliste qui n'avance pas a une lumière verte. Moi je calcul 2 secondes je klaxonne. Pas un klaxon de malade mental, juste un p'tit coup.

J'ai déja suivi une connasse qui a chaque lumière, retombait la face dans son cellulaire. J'ai fait DeLorimier derrière elle au complet et j'ai du la klaxonner a chaque lumière. La dernière fois j'ai garder le klaxon d'une rue a l'autre. J'pense qu'elle a jamais été consciente que j'étais la.

Mettons qu'après 3 bonnes secondes, je klaxonne. Malheureusement tu a raison, 80% du temps quand la personne avance pas a la lumière, c'est a cause qu'il/elle est sur son cell.

Desfois j'me dit qu'il peut bien avoir du traffic, la lumière tombe verte et chaque voiture prend toujours 2-3 secondes a réagir... effet accordéon.
Same for me. 3 solide seconds and i honk if it's to go straight and 2 seconds if it's to turn because those damn protected left turn lights are already short as is. Don't need to shorten it up more. What I really hate is if it's been 6+ seconds and noone else but me is honking and I'm the car 5 vehicles away from the light. People just enjoy wasting their time, getting stuck on red again and waiting at the lights I guess.... I don't know what it is... they don't want to look like the impatient confrontational type or they want to be sheep in a line of sheep.

After a few seconds it's reasonable I think. We all get slightly distracted at lights, changing radio station, adjusting climate control.

Same for me. 3 solide seconds and i honk if it's to go straight and 2 seconds if it's to turn because those damn protected left turn lights are already short as is. Don't need to shorten it up more. What I really hate is if it's been 6+ seconds and noone else but me is honking and I'm the car 5 vehicles away from the light. People just enjoy wasting their time, getting stuck on red again and waiting at the lights I guess.... I don't know what it is... they don't want to look like the impatient confrontational type or they want to be sheep in a line of sheep.

Me

Se faire klaxonner c'Est pas supposé etre insultant. Dans ben des pays, le monde klaxonne pour avertir les chauffeur quand il sont dans leur angle mort, quant il vont dépasser, etc.

He brake checked you causing an accident and he was the one who wanted to call police?

When you have enough of these incidents you learn it's best just to leave other drivers be. In the end it's just never worth it. I mean maybe the guy has a chainsaw lol.

Depends on the light but yeah, honking to wake up a sleeping driver sitting at a green light is perfectly acceptable.

Some lights warrant it more than others, the light to turn left onto my street is 4 seconds long so if I sit behind a car and the light turns green and I see the driver has been distracted by pretty colors and lights (cell phone) i will honk at him almost immediately because otherwise I will lose that light.

Seriously 4 seconds on a left turn arrow that should just be a green light. No reason for a protected leftie there, perfect visibility, no blockages, 99% of the time you're stopped there with a perfectly clear KM of street ahead...

2-3 seconds before I honk. My motorcycle helps me to stay calm since I can just pass by, no fucks given. A honk is there for a reason, it should not be used all the time but not demonized either, I honk to warn others usually, not because I'm mad (except when people change lane without checking)

This is Montreal. If after 1 second of the light being green, you haven't started moving, you're getting honked at. If you're the first car at the intersection, you should be looking at the lights and oncoming traffic as if you were staged for a drag race. You don't need to take off like a mad-man, but you best be ready to go when it turns green.

Tu aurais du faire venir la police. A moins d'être trop pressé je l aurais fait. People need to feel the consequences of their stupidity. Probablement que tu aurais jamais vraiment vu le resultat en direct mais tu peux etre sur qu'il s'en serait souvenu de sa montée de lait et les consequences qui sont venus avec.

What a fucking moron.

Dashcam, police would have ticketed him instantly.

And yes, I honk, i dont lay on it, just a quick .5 second beep.

I honk at everybody sleeping at the light, including police van this week. I also honk people leaving the line on idle and take two blocks to accelerate to 30 on a main street with nobody front of them, wtf is wrong with those people!?

Back