Winter Beater or cheap Lease?

EK-Ninja

Winter time is at our door!

Got 3k-4k for a "winter beater" and was debating if it wouldn't be better to get a lease since it would pay up almost a year right there. Doing 100km per day to go to work and it's only to get to a metro station.

depends what kind of reliability you wan't.

A lease is normally much more reliable than a beater and you don't really have to fix anything.

A beater can be more profitable in some cases, but it's really hit or miss. I've had beaters that costs me 1500$ over 3 years and others that costs 2-3000$ over a year...

If you opt fo the beater, ensure that you split your budget 60-40. 60% for the car and keep 40% aside for repairs. Even if you don't end up needing them, it's better to be safe than sorry.

You can also look at lease-busters to pick up an end of lease deal. Sometimes they even offer cash incentives to get rid of it quicker.

yeah I picked up a chevy cruze lease transfer with 11 months left 2 years ago. 195$/months. Wasn't really fun, but it was reliable and comfy.

If you’re looking for a lease, like Joey said take a look at Leasebuster, sometimes people want to get rid of their car with around 6 months left to their lease and they give away an incentive to bring down the payments to a crazy low price. My girlfriend took a lease with 13 months left for a 2016 Rio at 202$/month including the incentive, winter tires and an abusive damages coverage. I could not figure something better than that... and there was 30,000 kms left to the lease also

Do you have a plan B? Can you afford to miss 1-2 days of work during the winter? If so, a beater might be a good option.

Otherwise, get a lease transfer.

Back