kit car on the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camry90

i am curious to know, let's say i have a home made kit car that is not road legal in canada... will i be able to go lapping in different events? i'm not talking about Ariel Atom or Caterham.. i'm talking about something home made but SAFE:dunno::dunno:

Yup. I guess every club will judge upon presentation of pictures and details. Between us, while most kit cars are probably fun to drive, I am 100% sure I wouldn't want to have an accident in most of them. Therefore, protection will be the main point of interest in this kit car. Such is the case for convertibles.

i wish i have a kit car in the making. i am asking because it seems like a fun project to do and shouldn't be so expensive...
for a quick example, http://www.grabercars.com you can buy a plan from them for 100USD and round tubing for 550usd... you might need a MR2 AW11 as donor car but i have that already. so it seems interesting. look at Ariel Atom... pass crash test???

I dunno I guess I'm not the right guys to answer this one :bigup:

Seriously if your going to build something from scratch and it wont be road legal, might as well make it into a pure race car, then you need to build it to the rule book and GSR safety spec... if you do that then it's just a question of having a seat for the instructor. My car as a full rollcage, 2 identical seat with 5 point belts and 4.6L AAAF fire supression system.

But if you think these things are cheap, your wrong, don't let the 100$ plans fool you... these things cost a bundle to make, once you figure in the tooling. I know I must have bought more than 10K$ in tools since I started 4 year ago...

and don't rely on the tubing as an indicator of cost. Steel is cheap... The bodywork on that Bala is 5K$, Decent coil overs will cost you close to 2K$, quality rod ends will cost you more than 1K$.... it adds up very quickly...

But to answer your question yes you could run at lapping event with a home made car as long as it fits the guideline of a car. i.e. no open wheel and respect the safety rules of the club... Also the ASN Affiliated clubs will allow you if you respect the modified category requirement in the Time Attack-SoloSprint rules.

and yes they are great project for the real race car fan...even if they take on average about 4-5 year to build.
Cheers,

Fred

Last edited:
you know there a lot more interesting cars to build than that Graber car.

There a lot of potential with the Subaru 4cylinder with their 5 speed tranny converted to RWD transaxle for a really nice mid engine car.

And yes theres no feeling like it to start from this
IMG_1529.jpg

to this:
DSC_0605.jpg

you know there a lot more interesting cars to build than that Graber car.

There a lot of potential with the Subaru 4cylinder with their 5 speed tranny converted to RWD transaxle for a really nice mid engine car.

And yes theres no feeling like it to start from this
IMG_1529.jpg

to this:
DSC_0605.jpg

your car is THE one that i want to build. i said Graber as an example, i personnaly don't like it.... or something similar to Ariel Atom

Yhea Se7ens are cool...

Althought the chassis is a based on the Locost which was based on the solid axle Westfields. Our two cars can't really be called locost. Components on these are new and of race caliber.

Yup they are a little bit cheaper, Bodywork is 500$ in fiberglass and 300$ worth of aluminium... and yes 200$ worth of rivets:D

There are tons of plans available online, from the lowly locost to the real thing i.e. Lotus Se7en serie 2.

here is car #2 almost done...
DSCF5198.jpg

Cheers,

Fred

Last edited:
And another one! ;)

Frontshot-resize.jpg

those car are looooooads of fun on the track! Can't wait for my next track day!

How can we build a street legal platable kit car like a super 7 ?

I dunno.... I'm looking to registered a scratch built car, not a kit...:bigup:

I can’t confirm how to do it exactly as it wasn’t the goal with the 2 Locosts(HiCosts).

It’s my goal to have some road registered scratch built Lotus Se7en replicas, not locost, but genuine Lotus Se7en cars, with chassis built from former Se7en restorers Pat Prince chassis blueprints for the Lotus 7 Series 2. Utilising genuine Lotus/caterham parts. Here’s my plan…

I know that I need to follow all the guidelines from this doc. http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publications/dossiers_speciaux/veh_modif_artisan.pdf

I know that I’ll need to have an engineers report for the SAAQ as well as doing a mechanical inspection at one of the SAAQ recognized centers. I may even have a weld inspection done on the chassis and suspension pieces.

I’m preparing a document with all drawings, bills and pictures for the engineer and the SAAQ.

Can it be done…? Of course Shiva’s car is registered (it’s a kit) Nice car by the way *tu* and I know of one scratch built car that was registered a few years back and I’m using his knowledge to prepare for mine. I’ll keep you guys posted, but it ain’t going to happen for another 3-4 years as these things take time to build.

Cheers,

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back