Lachute, KNS, SwapShop...which to choose?

od_man99

I was driving to work the other day. I drive this:

dscn1507d.jpg

Around exit 55 on the 20 West the car started knocking hard and now I can hear a knock in all gears at all Rpms. I was debating selling the little thing, but the body is so clean. Here is the history of my gc8

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2183814

During the past few months, I've been looking at swapping an Ej205 (WRX 2003+) or an newer wrx engine. This will remain my daily drive so I'm not looking for a track beast or something like that at the moment. Just a fun car to drive and more importantly a reliable one.

Anyhow, I created this thread to get an Idea of your experiences at Lachute/KNS or SwapShop. I've never dealt with any of the later.

I've got 5-7k for Swap/Motor/Transmission/Wiring etc... I've looked around and it seems that's the going price.

Tell me, which one would you go to and why.

Thanks MR.

KNS has Mario as a mechanic who used to be a mechanic at Subaru. I would call or go see them to see if they can do it.

Replying to subscribe --

though any reason you didn't include twofast.ca ?
And why possibly not asking in the Subaru subforum or say on montreal-subaru-club.com ?

^I know a garage in drummondville also. Serge Turcott. He did my S/C kit my eclipse.

He offered me a WRX motor from a 2005 impreza with 78k on it with a 2002 transmission (wrx) and all that is needed for the swap for 4900. The swap would cost me 7k with all the liquids. Sounds like a fair price. I'm just wondering if I should go to someone who has done this a bunch of times.

Mario himself used SwapShop to swap his GC... that tells you the quality of their work

I'd also give Stephane @ Two Fast in Blainville a call. They know Subaru's inside out and used to build rally cars as well.

Are they aware they used the wrong 'too' in their name? Cuz that would bug the shit outta me :|

SwapShop for any subaru swap = peace of mind.

Me, if you don't want a race car and don't have huge projects I'd go for a JDM V4, V5 or V6 engine (EJ207)/5 speed STi tranny. Very simple and nice power.

If budget allows, I think it would be good to add STi Brembo brakes for the added power.
** You'll be able to fit STi 4 pots in the front but the rear will need a subframe swap if you really want the brembos too.

Good luck mayne.

PS: last time I went to twofast performance, I asked for a turbo timer and the guy at the desk didn't know what the fuck I was talking about, I left the place almost running.

The Ej205 I found has 80k, tranny, dash all the wires and everything needed for swap for 4200.

I saw one Ej207 and an Ej257, both were well about 7k for motor and tranny.

Note the GC8 weighs in at around 1100kg, at 220 awhp It'll be quick as fuck,. With a VF03 turbo upgrade, stage one and a bunch of bolt ons I'll be good no?

If I was you I would not swap it here is why:

You spent around 4k on the body, the car was, I guess, around 4k and now the engine will be 7k, for a total of 15k

With 15k you could get a 2005-2006 WRX or an sti GM6 or GC8 swapped from the states.

If I was you I would not swap it here is why:

You spent around 4k on the body, the car was, I guess, around 4k and now the engine will be 7k, for a total of 15k

With 15k you could get a 2005-2006 WRX or an sti GM6 or GC8 swapped from the states.

He's already spent 8k by your logic... Why stop there?

Ever think that he didn't have the 15k to shell out all at once?

I would swap it.

Back