Airbus A380 hits another plane at JFK

Those guys with red sticks only help the plane at the gates. On the taxiway, pilots have to communicate with the "ground control" and follow their orders (although the pic has the last word wether or not to follow these orders, he can decide not to follow them if he feels that these order may alter the security of the "flight").

From what I can see (which is not much), the pilot of the crj stopped too soon after crossing the taxiway the airbus was on. He should have made sure that the plane was at least 200 ft from the taxiway ( I know this rule applies to runways but I'm not sure about taxiways).

thanks for clearing this up.

I feel bad for the guy who has to rebook 500 PAX

So either the AF pilots were off runway center line or the Comair CRJ was parked in the wrong area(much more likely). Rumor has it that one month worth of repairs on the A380.. Comair CRJ might be a write off.

From what I can see (which is not much), the pilot of the crj stopped too soon after crossing the taxiway the airbus was on. He should have made sure that the plane was at least 200 ft from the taxiway ( I know this rule applies to runways but I'm not sure about taxiways).

thats correct, but keep in mind the 200ft rule was written before airbus created a new category of aircraft with a 260ft wing span (B777 = 199ft)

XCUSE ME! I wanna past!

fuck%20the%20topic.jpg

Taken from the Bombardier Intranet website, here at work...

AIR FRANCE A380 GROUNDED AFTER TAXIING COLLISION WITH CRJ
(Air Transport Intelligence news, 4/12/2011, David Kaminski-Morrow)

Air France has grounded an Airbus A380 at New York JFK after it collided with a Comair Bombardier CRJ700 while taxiing for departure to Paris Charles de Gaulle.

The French flag-carrier says the collision damaged the A380's left wing, while the CRJ has similarly been taken out of service with damage to its empennage.

Air France flight AF007 was transporting 495 passengers, 22 cabin crew and three pilots when the incident occurred at night on 11 April.

A spokesman for Air France says the A380 "clipped the tail fin" of the Comair jet - which had arrived from Boston as flight DL6293 - while the CRJ was parked.

"It only caused material damage," he says, but confirms both aircraft have been grounded. He adds that Air France has been placing affected passengers on alternative flights.

JFK ground control communication records show that, at about 20:05, the A380 was given instruction for runway 22R, and was cleared to turn left on taxiway A and hold short of taxiway E.

After another aircraft called to request clearance to taxiway KD, the A380 was told to give way to opposite direction traffic, which the crew acknowledged.

But less than a minute later the pilots of the CRJ700 crew, using the callsign Comair 553, told JFK controllers: "Send a truck, they just hit us at [taxiway] Mike."

Another aircraft, initially instructed to follow the A380 to KD, was then told by controllers: "Don't make the left on Alpha. Air France, they think they might have hit somebody.

"Emergency crews were summoned to the intersection of taxiways A and M on the southwestern side of the airport.

Controllers informed emergency services of the incident and added that the CRJ crew was evacuating passengers. The A380 crew was also asked to shut down the engines of the aircraft, at the request of the emergency response teams.

Here's what's not clear: The CRJ has the beacon on. Was the plane "nosed in" meaning halfway into the gate to allow others to pass behind? I would think so because you can see a white spot at the bottom right getting out of the car walking towards the CRJ.

Back