CTV News - driving stick no longer popular

This report seems skewed to me. Most people I know that drive manual transmission learned to drive stick "after" they have passed the driving school or license exam by using auto. That's how I did it - take the school and exam with automatic then learn driving with a manual from friends or family that already know how. It seems easier that way anyways, learning first how to drive without worrying about stalling or burning clutches etc. They seem to think that the only place to learn a manual transmission vehicle is at the driving school and that's where I think they are misinformed and not reporting the actual ratio between auto and manual transmission drivers. So according to them, I would have been counted as a driver who prefers/actually drives auto, when in fact, I have never owned any car or truck that has automatic. All my cars now are manual and I also taught my wife how to drive manual.
Anyways, I just think this report is a big fail.

pourquoi exactement?

Avec un manuel:
Tu peux doser la puissance bien plus facilement en modulant l'embrayage.
Tu peux faire balancer le véhicule pour te sortir d'un banc de neige
Tas pas de "stall point" sur le torque converter qui donne une puissance non linéaire.

En gros, c'est dans les situations où ça prend de la finesse que l'auto manuelle va être avantagée. Bien sûr, il faut que la personne derrière le volant sache ce qu'elle fait. C'est justement ceux qui savent ce qu'ils font qui vont sacrer sur les "aides" à la conduite.

Avec un manuel:
Tu peux doser la puissance bien plus facilement en modulant l'embrayage.
Tu peux faire balancer le véhicule pour te sortir d'un banc de neige
Tas pas de "stall point" sur le torque converter qui donne une puissance non linéaire.

En gros, c'est dans les situations où ça prend de la finesse que l'auto manuelle va être avantagée. Bien sûr, il faut que la personne derrière le volant sache ce qu'elle fait. C'est justement ceux qui savent ce qu'ils font qui vont sacrer sur les "aides" à la conduite.

boff.. tu pousse un peu l'argument.
d'accord avec les aides electroniques.
mais je conduis souvent un auto automatique et manuelle back to back pendant l'hivers avec aucun assistance et je sens aucun difference en term de conduit et difficulte entre les deux.

"2 feet 3 pedals, i dont know how i could have handled that" bitch youre supposed to use 1 foot when there are only 2 pedals (no its not a racecar) .... you want the car to brake for you now?

Toujours conduit des voitures manuels. Mais avec le traffique a marde de MTL + Rive Nord, Automatique pour moi c'est un choix sans questionnement.. du clutch/declutch pendant 1h.. 1h30 .. No fn way. Nyways, sur le G37 la transmission automatique fesais une excellente job. Pis maintenant la S4 la DSG Dual clutch 7 speed. Geez. Why not. Pis si j'ai envie d'avoir un petit feeling, mode sport, pis on joue avec les palettes sur le volant. Nyways, im 42.. what do i know. Mais apres 19-20 ans a clutch vs les derniers 4 ans... im happy with my choice.

I want my next cars to be without a transmission if I can help it. They have simply gotten overly complex like everything that pertains to modern combustion engines actually.

For a sport car, manual is more fun, end of the line. It doesn't matter that the new automatic are more efficient, dsg is faster ect ect, its just not as fun as a fully manual car.

That being said, I can understand many reasons why one would choose automatic for a practical car BUT this doesn't help people stay alert at the wheel.

Toujours conduit des voitures manuels. Mais avec le traffique a marde de MTL + Rive Nord, Automatique pour moi c'est un choix sans questionnement.. du clutch/declutch pendant 1h.. 1h30 .. No fn way. Nyways, sur le G37 la transmission automatique fesais une excellente job. Pis maintenant la S4 la DSG Dual clutch 7 speed. Geez. Why not. Pis si j'ai envie d'avoir un petit feeling, mode sport, pis on joue avec les palettes sur le volant. Nyways, im 42.. what do i know. Mais apres 19-20 ans a clutch vs les derniers 4 ans... im happy with my choice.

Mon père qui est un peu plus vieux que toi ma dit la même chose. Ça fait presque 40 ans que je clutch/declutch, ma impreza je la veut automatique lol.

Enviado desde una patata con Tapatalk

imho, manual is for people who appreciate pure driving pleasure (true car guys, gear heads), auto is more for... i gotta get from point A to point B.....

I love manual but the traffic in this city and the fact that I work on the road ... oufff no thank you

that's why I got rid of my Cooper S .. couldn't take the traffic anymore .... loved the car and the fuel consumption was amazing for the kick you would get out of that car...

As much as I love my stick car... I'm pretty confident my next whip will be doppelkupplung equiped, unless the proposed manual transmission is out of this world.

the arguement of manual is more fun etc than automatic is bullshit, it was true a couple of years ago..but today with the new DSG setups, it's a different world.

I know someone... hint hint, that will be racing with a DSG in SPC next year... and trust me, someone is working fuckin hard to be able to remap and play with the DSG ECU...

Just go look at what they are doing with the SEAT leon DSG setup races in europe. go on youtube and look at the vids and come back here and tell me that it looks boring to drive...

With what people are saying here today, F1 would still be driving stick! I would rather have buttons on my steering wheel thank you very much. Fast shifting, less rev drop,automatic Rev match... etc..overall faster lap times...I win, you lose. k bye

the arguement of manual is more fun etc than automatic is bullshit, it was true a couple of years ago..but today with the new DSG setups, it's a different world.

I know someone... hint hint, that will be racing with a DSG in SPC next year... and trust me, someone is working fuckin hard to be able to remap and play with the DSG ECU...

Just go look at what they are doing with the SEAT leon DSG setup races in europe. go on youtube and look at the vids and come back here and tell me that it looks boring to drive...

With what people are saying here today, F1 would still be driving stick! I would rather have buttons on my steering wheel thank you very much. Fast shifting, less rev drop,automatic Rev match... etc..overall faster lap times...I win, you lose. k bye

Lol..

C'est vrai que c'est ultra pratique sauver .02 secondes à cause du 'fast shift, no rev drop, AUTOMATIQUE rev match'' dans une voiture de rue.

On a pas la même définition du mot plaisir toi et moi.

Bien entendu que c'est plus rapide une voiture DSG que manuelle sur une piste de course. L'argument ici est le plaisir de conduire et non l'efficacité en tant que tel...

Lol..

C'est vrai que c'est ultra pratique sauver .02 secondes à cause du 'fast shift, no rev drop, AUTOMATIQUE rev match'' dans une voiture de rue.

On a pas la même définition du mot plaisir toi et moi.

Bien entendu que c'est plus rapide une voiture DSG que manuelle sur une piste de course. L'argument ici est le plaisir de conduire et non l'efficacité en tant que tel...

Explique moi pourquoi c'est plus plaisant.. clutché?? c'est quoi sa te fait pour t'apporter du "plaisir" appuyer sur la clutch et shifter??? c'est quoi la difference entre le faire avec le pieds/bras, vs doigts sur le volant?

en passant, quand ont parle voiture de rue, oui c'est le fun de le mettre en mode "sport" et avoir le ctrl, et quand tu est dnas le traffique etc... mode auto... Je trouve sa ben pratique moi.

Explique moi pourquoi c'est plus plaisant.. clutché?? c'est quoi sa te fait pour t'apporter du "plaisir" appuyer sur la clutch et shifter??? c'est quoi la difference entre le faire avec le pieds/bras, vs doigts sur le volant?

en passant, quand ont parle voiture de rue, oui c'est le fun de le mettre en mode "sport" et avoir le ctrl, et quand tu est dnas le traffique etc... mode auto... Je trouve sa ben pratique moi.

Le feeling mécanique d'une clutch peut pas être imité par une palette au volant. Je déteste conduire automatique dans le traffic, en laissant aller la voiture au ''idle'' ça avance toujours trop vite, toujours obligé de freiner sans arrêt. Crois moi, je connais ça le traffic, je me tappe le trajet rive-nord / rive-sud aller-retour à chaque jour et je préfère de loin le contrôle qu'une clutch m'offre. Souvent, j'ai juste à me laisser aller en 2ième vitesse en laissant un espace entre moi et la voiture qui me précède et j'ai aucuns problèmes.

La majorité du monde qui ont des autos DSG aiment ben ça les palettes les premières semaines à cause de la nouveauté que ça apporte mais c'est pas long que ça fini par mettre ça en mode ''drive'' et rouler en tout temps comme si c'était une voiture automatique.

Souvent, j'ai juste à me laisser aller en 2ième vitesse en laissant un espace entre moi et la voiture qui me précède et j'ai aucuns problèmes.

I leave it in drive, leave more space in front and use less brake and gas than you in second gear.

More efficient
More enjoyable
Less stressful

That's actually pretty gay to be honest, in my opinion part of being a racing driver should be mastering the art of driving a manual transmission, it becomes part of the game so to speak. It takes much more skill and concentration to race a fully manual car than just keeping both hands on the wheel and left-foot brake all the time. I guarantee you you can take the majority of F1 drivers today and put them in the old F1 cars from the 80's and earlier and they would struggle. Surely they wouldn't be as good as the drivers from back then.

Anyway, knowing how to drive manual should be something everyone knows. Just this summer I was at a cottage with friends and only 2 cars went up, both were manual (mine and an Accent), and both me and the owner of the other car were in no state to drive one night and the guys wanted to get beer at the dep, and none of them were able to get the Accent going so they had to stay at the cottage like a bunch of idiots. ONE OF THEM DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAVE 3 PEDALS! How can you be a 20 something year old male and not even know that?! Out of 10 guys, only 2 knew how to drive it, the rest were just dumb lol what if there was an emergency and they needed to drive somewhere, they'd be stuck like retards

And I also know people who only have their cars for A to B driving and don't have a care about cars and STILL prefer manual, and after asking they all say because of the control it has and makes them more attentive.

Back