Golf / Jetta TDI Question

CoolIT

As a road tech, I need a fuel efficient car and here I am considering getting my first VW TDI...

I have a few concerns however...
www.carsurvey.org
I check there and read customer reviews before buying any car and it has served me quite well.. obviously I use common sense to filter stupidity.

But it looks as if there is an alarming amount of people who have had bad luck with their Jetta or Golf between years 2000 and 2006.
Will my windows fall off the track ? will my electronics fail ? will the car implode ?

I found a lot of TDI's in my price range (3000 to 7000$)
Almost all of them have 150000km to 240000km
Is it true that those engines run easy 350000km ? Obviously I want a car that comes with service history.

I am looking for input from TDI owners and a few tips.
Also if anyone knows a good Diesel mechanic for an inspection it would be great

Thanks

You can run way more than 350 000 kms with those engines... Golf TDI will be my next car, looking to get a fuel efficient car as well because I do too much mileage in a year. Haven't heard any badlucks on those cars though...

You can run way more than 350 000 kms with those engines... Golf TDI will be my next car, looking to get a fuel efficient car as well because I do too much mileage in a year. Haven't heard any badlucks on those cars though...

tu vit sous une roche lol ....

had a Jetta 2001 ....

1. Get over 2003 PLEASE
2. This car was a CANCER
3. I would buy a over 2006 ANYday
4. I miss my Jetta

Usual MK4 stories...
Go for a MKV instead, what you'll end up paying more on the purchase price you'll save it in headaches especially since you're looking at high mileage car. They weren't VW's best years.

You can always look up on www.vwvortex.com or in the VW section, the subject has been discussed alot.

PS : Unitronic. :D

As a road tech, I need a fuel efficient car and here I am considering getting my first VW TDI...

I have a few concerns however...
www.carsurvey.org
I check there and read customer reviews before buying any car and it has served me quite well.. obviously I use common sense to filter stupidity.

But it looks as if there is an alarming amount of people who have had bad luck with their Jetta or Golf between years 2000 and 2006.
Will my windows fall off the track ? will my electronics fail ? will the car implode ?

I found a lot of TDI's in my price range (3000 to 7000$)
Almost all of them have 150000km to 240000km
Is it true that those engines run easy 350000km ? Obviously I want a car that comes with service history.

I am looking for input from TDI owners and a few tips.
Also if anyone knows a good Diesel mechanic for an inspection it would be great

Thanks

Hi there!

First of all, your windows will likely eventually fall in the door if you are not careful in winter times. The dealership have a "cure" for this problem once it happends, it should not happend again.

Sensors go mad once in a while, it's a german car.

With a good maintenance, you can do well over 350 000km and still have a very good fuel efficiency.

The car will not implode, but dont let it go. When you feel that something is wrong, dont wait because "the car still works", it'll get you back later if you do this.

Like it's been said, you should get a 2003 and up.

For a good inspection, it's really not the best time of the year because garages a filled with tire changes, but give a call to DMF diesel on the south shore, best TDI mechanic you can find in the province.

If you have any more concerns dont be afraid to ask :)

I would get a tdi too if I wasn't driving in town most of the time.

i have a 2002 with 452,000km.

total repairs since new are around $4000. that includes oil changes, brakes, etc.

That's almost impossible, only tires and oil would cost me more than that over 400 000km...

Unless you always put cheap used tires and make your oil change every 15-20k with the cheapest oil.

That's right, how would manage to spend 4000$ for 9 years & 452K km, including maintenance and repairs??!! At 20$ the oil change (and for TDIs is probably more than that even if you do it yourself), it's 900 oil changes which means 1800$.

tires were free (dad worked for Michelin, now works for Yokohama), i work part time at a garage, and get oil and filters at cost.

you only need to change the oil every 15,000km on them.

it's all highway. brakes were only done once. original shocks. other than oil changes and the occasional fuel filter, it's been great.

900 oil changes? more like 30.

the clutch was the only thing that had to be done, but with 3 kids learning to drive on it, it wasn't to bad when it let go at 390,000

with all the BBQ dubs, I'd suggest keeping it well maintained. I knew a guy (middle aged) with a 2000 tdi, and another (old fucker) with a 2008 tdi. both trouble free, but both extremely well maintained....

with all the BBQ dubs, I'd suggest keeping it well maintained. I knew a guy (middle aged) with a 2000 tdi, and another (old fucker) with a 2008 tdi. both trouble free, but both extremely well maintained....

mk4 dont catch fire, it's a mk3 thing, because of the heater switch corrosion

Mine is a 2001 and no problems so far! had the alternator pulley break out of the blue, big woop, cost 20$... other than that, usual parts I guess, still have the original disks and pads! they aren't pretty, but they still work great! the original suspension is tired, as are top plates, but the car has almost 200000km, what car wouldn't? and let's face it, it's pretty cheap to replace! hand brake is pretty tired too.

in 4 years of having it, the car cost me about 1000 to maintain, including oil changes, timing belt job, etc and job was done by DMF! which like someone lese here previously said, the guy is just simply the best! he changes my timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and a couple of others misc stuff in an hour flat! amazing!!! cost me 80$! he charges a lot per hour, but does it in way less time than anyone else! just an all-around great guy! I STRONGLY recommand him to anyone! he just won't take anymore jobs since he is COMPLETELY BOOKED!

anywhoo, don't see why you wouldn't buy a 2001 and up tdi, haven't had any trouble with mine! and know lots of people who haven't either!

BTW, mine is chipped by DMF and I get even more MPG than before! did 1200km of highway in the states to go get my honda watercraft! so yeah, 1200km pulling a trailer and a 600+lbs toy in the back ;)

usually get 1000km of city / highway driving ;)

That's right, how would manage to spend 4000$ for 9 years & 452K km, including maintenance and repairs??!! At 20$ the oil change (and for TDIs is probably more than that even if you do it yourself), it's 900 oil changes which means 1800$.

1. 450,000 Kms / 5000 kms between oil change = 90, not 900...:run:

2. 900 oil change @ 20$ ea. = 18,000$, not 1,800$...:run::run:

But in the end yeah, at this mileage, he should have spent 1800$ in oil change at every 5000 kms or 600$ at every 15,000...

TDI is also in my 1st choice as a next car....

I have a 2006 mkv with 190,000kms, bought it with 160,000 kms about over a year ago,

Over all its a great car, for $50 of diesel at 1.30, I get 1000kms of driving.

The only gripe I would have is I notice is the car would not always start...but it was the diesel gas that was picky, I noticed gassing up at Esso, and ultramar are a no no, the car works but i notice starting it would hesitate unless I floor the gas pedal, (battery was good, fuel + oil +air filter changed, oil changed with castoral syntec..)

The only times where this was a headache was in the winter, but I realized its the diesel gas,

The best gas for the MKV i've noticed are Shell and petrocanada.

She drives great, lotsa torque, and turbo when you need it, and the looks are great for a 4 dr family car

I have a 2006 mkv with 190,000kms, bought it with 160,000 kms about over a year ago,

Over all its a great car, for $50 of diesel at 1.30, I get 1000kms of driving.

The only gripe I would have is I notice is the car would not always start...but it was the diesel gas that was picky, I noticed gassing up at Esso, and ultramar are a no no, the car works but i notice starting it would hesitate unless I floor the gas pedal, (battery was good, fuel + oil +air filter changed, oil changed with castoral syntec..)

The only times where this was a headache was in the winter, but I realized its the diesel gas,

The best gas for the MKV i've noticed are Shell and petrocanada.

She drives great, lotsa torque, and turbo when you need it, and the looks are great for a 4 dr family car

how much do they go for these day the mk5 jetta with km in between 100000 to 150000km?
and are these engines as noisy as the older ones?

Oh ya as for electrical glitches, (the car hasnt burnt down yet lol) but the only thing I noticed was once in a while I would pull the driver side window to move up and it would go down, to fix this I just reset the key and it worked fine...also I noticed if I turn the car off with the turn signal activated it leaves on the light even though the car is off, to fix this just put the turn signal into neutral.

I bought mine for 10K with the 160,000kms 1 year ago...but from what i see with gas prices going up, people are asking for a bit more now because its great on gas without buying a boring expensive hybrid.

Btw the engine is louder than normal gas engine, thats why they have sound deadening in the engine bay even under the car, but when your in the car driving you barely notice it, instead when I have the window down I car hear the turbo with every shift :)

Only time it may be annoying is at the Mcdo drive through lol

From what I understand the 2011 model TDI's are even quieter

BTW 1.30 for Shell diesel gas is at the flying J gas in Vaudreuil, Never had issues with this gas..

The other great thing about the TDI besides the $ saved on gas is the maintenance, oil filter (OEM VW=$11) and Castoral Syntec sythetic oil big jug ($25 on sale) is to be changed every 15,000kms, instead of the regular 5000km interval like normal cars.

Back