Legality of driving with Alternate license if Quebec one is Suspended?

goden99

I have a friend which lost his license for driving for 3 Months, now he has another license from Europe. Now legally he can use that license here in Canada for 6 Months but his Quebec License is suspended.

Now can he legally drive with the European License here while his Quebec License is suspended? Ofcourse he will Travel to Europe and back before his does this, to show a stamp on his passport that he did travel and it has been less than 6months that he is in Quebec.

What do you guys think? Personally I think as long as he is not driving his own car, the police should not link him to his Quebec License as he has a legal license in Europe.

Is he a Quebec resident ? If he is, he's not allowed to drive.

If he doesn't use his car and produces an European license when stopped, (slim) chances are he'll get by, but chances are they'll run his name/DOB and find out he has a suspended QC license and then bye bye car and hello ticket.

When you start getting into technicalities..... All bets are off. It's up to the cop. Not up to the guy with the multiple drivers licenses...

i once got an 832$ ticket for multiple licenses of the same class...I had moved and gave the cop the wrong one, fuckin retarded

So he's been here 6 months and he already got his license suspended?

I don't know how I managed to never lose my license during the 18 years I've been driving.

I guess I must be the luckiest man alive!

up to the OP to tell what he did. he told me in private. I wouldnt call this "not that bad" because it doesnt excuse what he did, but it's far from GEV.

What?!?!?!
That doesn't make sense, I can legally have a Quebec and Florida License.

No you can not...

94. Nul ne peut être titulaire de plus d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur, de plus d'un permis probatoire ou de plus d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur et d'un permis probatoire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur et d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis probatoire et d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Sauf dans les cas et aux conditions prévues par règlement:

1° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire délivré par la Société ne peut être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada;

2° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être titulaire de plus d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative au Canada;

3° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire délivré par la Société ne peut être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis;

4° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis;

5° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative aux États-Unis.

No you can not...

94. Nul ne peut être titulaire de plus d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur, de plus d'un permis probatoire ou de plus d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur et d'un permis probatoire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis d'apprenti-conducteur et d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

Nul ne peut être à la fois titulaire d'un permis probatoire et d'un permis de conduire de la même classe délivrés par la Société.

1° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire délivré par la Société ne peut être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada;

2° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être titulaire de plus d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative au Canada;

3° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire délivré par la Société ne peut être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis;

4° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative au Canada ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis;

5° le titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autorité administrative aux États-Unis ne peut, lorsqu'il conduit un véhicule routier au Québec, être également titulaire d'un permis de conduire valide délivré par une autre autorité administrative aux États-Unis.

Yes you can, you can't show the Florida license, THAT is illegal

That is probably the only defence, lol if you have one from the usa....it not there fucking buisness...it's the usa buiness
if you don't use it over here and don't show it when asked...(that is where the op may want to differ)

fuck they even say if an other province allow it your not allowed to drive when you come to quebec .... very good

No you can not...

If you actually read what u copy pasted youll notice that you CAN have more than 1 licence

Yea, I'll have to check with a lawyer but it looks like I can get a US and Canadian License.

It would just be stupid for me to drive my own car with Quebec License Place and show my Florida drivers license...lol
BUT
If I was driving someone else's car. I don't see any issue showing my Florida Drivers License.

Hmmmm, I've asked a few police officers on the road and they told me I'm not allowed to have TWO drivers license from North America BUT I can have a valid one from anywhere else around the world.
The two I asked couldn't answer me if I'm allowed to drive in Quebec with an international one. Only thing they told me is, if it's your car with Quebec plates they better see a Quebec drivers license or they will investigate. Which would be a nice big fine.

Hmmmm, I've asked a few police officers on the road and they told me I'm not allowed to have TWO drivers license from North America BUT I can have a valid one from anywhere else around the world.
The two I asked couldn't answer me if I'm allowed to drive in Quebec with an international one. Only thing they told me is, if it's your car with Quebec plates they better see a Quebec drivers license or they will investigate. Which would be a nice big fine.

The two cops you spoke to where idiots then.

You CAN drive with an international, as long as you have SAAQ approval. Or that your license is valid internationally (like the Qc one isn't unless it's translated if I'm not mistaken).

And you can also have two NA licenses, lets say I go to university in California and want to drive there with MY cali plated car, well the cops there will wonder what the fuck is going on and why I have a QC license... So I'll get a Cali license. but when I come back here, I won't show my cali license, I'll show my QC license. And its also none of there god damn business if I have a cali license lol...

If you actually read what u copy pasted youll notice that you CAN have more than 1 licence

Seriously? Would you be so kind and point out to me, and by the same the nice SQ officer that issued me a ticket and le Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales that insisted that I pay the 876$ ticket, where is it written?

See, when you move out of the province, the DMV at whatever state you're moving to asks you to surrender your out of state drivers license. You also need to prove that your living at said state in order to get a driver license from there in addition to have a SSN.

In Quebec, you're allowed up to 6 consecutive months with your out of province drivers license, after that you must, get a Quebec one as your now considered a Quebec resident unless you're a student, trainees...

Last edited:

You CAN drive with an international, as long as you have SAAQ approval. Or that your license is valid internationally (like the Qc one isn't unless it's translated if I'm not mistaken).

And you can also have two NA licenses, lets say I go to university in California and want to drive there with MY cali plated car, well the cops there will wonder what the fuck is going on and why I have a QC license... So I'll get a Cali license. but when I come back here, I won't show my cali license, I'll show my QC license. And its also none of there god damn business if I have a cali license lol...

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about, and quite frankly, your the one looking like an idiot.

a) An International Driving Permit (IDP) is essentialy a translation of your driving permit into a dozen languages, which makes it very useful when you travel abroad. In Quebec, it is not issued by the SAAQ, rather the CAA.
b) you're confusing registering a car (plate) and drivers license (permit). Your QC license plated car is welcome to drive the beautiful roads in California as many, including myself, already did previously.

Have a pleasant day

@OP, I don't believe that article 94 applies here; the way I see it, he could easily drive here with his European permit. But if he gets into some heat, and cops start digging, they could quite easily find out that is current Quebec driver license is suspended and that he's a Quebec resident, not, for argument sake, French. I suspect the cops would issue him a driving under suspended license ticket. He must than go to court and prove the judge that no... I was living in France, hence my French permit.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about, and quite frankly, your the one looking like an idiot.

a) An International Driving Permit (IDP) is essentialy a translation of your driving permit into a dozen languages, which makes it very useful when you travel abroad. In Quebec, it is not issued by the SAAQ, rather the CAA.
b) you're confusing registering a car (plate) and drivers license (permit). Your QC license plated car is welcome to drive the beautiful roads in California as many, including myself, already did previously.

Have a pleasant day

@OP, I don't believe that article 94 applies here; the way I see it, he could easily drive here with his European permit. But if he gets into some heat, and cops start digging, they could quite easily find out that is current Quebec driver license is suspended and that he's a Quebec resident, not, for argument sake, French. I suspect the cops would issue him a driving under suspended license ticket. He must than go to court and prove the judge that no... I was living in France, hence my French permit.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Not all licenses are valid world wide... I don't know exactly which ones are and are not. I know some licenses, even translated, are not valid in Qc.

I also do know that the CAA issues the translation. But CAA translation or not, if the SAAQ doesn't allow that license to be used, you'd be fucked.

And I also meant that if you where pulled over driving a car with a plate issued from a different DMV authority than the license you will hand over to the cop, then the cop will obviously wonder what is going on, specially if registration and license name match.

I think we are saying the same thing...

Is he a Quebec resident ? If he is, he's not allowed to drive.

If he doesn't use his car and produces an European license when stopped, (slim) chances are he'll get by, but chances are they'll run his name/DOB and find out he has a suspended QC license and then bye bye car and hello ticket.
correct, being a Qc resident would mean that his driving privilege is suspended in QC and not just the Qc license itself. He would get a ticket and the car would get towed

No you cant have two NA licenses... article 94 applies here.
Taken from the DMV website: If you are a visitor and over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.
If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents
There is not reason for you to have a Cali license since your Qc one will be valid to drive your car in California

Last edited:
Back