Reasons NOT to get a BMW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonerex

Hi,

Because knowlegde is power, and you own and know about BMWs,

can you tell me what you dislike about them ? What should stop me or slow me from buying a BMW ? What is important to know BEFORE buying a BMW ? The Cons ?

What should I really know (pros but specially Cons) before getting a nice BMW/Merc ?

For example, the maintenance/parts price ? Gaz economy ? Electronic complexity for maintenant... What else ?

I'm looking for STYLE and GAZ economy (if possible) for 6000$.

I have always wanted a BMW or Mercedes. Always loved the cars. I'm a student graduating in 1 year. I'm looking into buying a BMW and having cash left for repair fund.

As always, thank you for all comments,
zonerex

E30 are blessed with good chassis but a very bad choice of engine.
E36 are blessed with a good choice of engine but come with a chassis that is too heavy and that filters the road too much.

Based on german standards, they are pretty reliable. same thing for the engineering, pretty good for german design. Its below average if you compare it to the japaneese standard, especially in the early 90s. Those year belonged to the jap.

those are the bad reason... from my view

E30 are blessed with good chassis but a very bad choice of engine.
E36 are blessed with a good choice of engine but come with a chassis that is too heavy and that filters the road too much.

Based on german standards, they are pretty reliable. same thing for the engineering, pretty good for german design. Its below average if you compare it to the japaneese standard, especially in the early 90s. Those year belonged to the jap.

those are the bad reason... from my view

what are u talking about? i find the engineering that went into the bmw's are better than the japs of the 90's. the e36 is well made, with some problems like all cars, nothing major and its been quite reliable for me till this point. (knock on wood)

if want good milage go for the 318, you find one in your price range. as far as performance your obviously going to have to compensate for it. the e36 is heavy yes but its really smooth ans sporty ride like most beemers. if u want power gor for the 325. but again ur gonna compensate for one or the other. like u zonerex i am a student also and have a year left to go and ive had my 325 for 3 years now, yes ive put money into it, but repair wise i think ive put approx 1500$ over 3 years which is pretty good and that includes the normal brake job which costs around 700$, 500$ if u can do the work urself. the parts are pretty much same price as volks parts i find. (used to have a passat). hope this helps.

what are u talking about? i find the engineering that went into the bmw's are better than the japs of the 90's. the e36 is well made, with some problems like all cars, nothing major and its been quite reliable for me till this point. (knock on wood)

dont compare bimmer's whit civic

Hey,

I currently own a 2005 jdm impreza sti with a couple of mods (345 crank hp)
and i was looking into bmw's,
i really really like the 2001+ M3's
how is it on gas and repair parts, is everything i have to change over $1000
what are known issues, like engine wise suspension etc etc
any help would be awesome

Bon ben je te rendrai pas service mec...

Après 2 STI, un WRX, un RS, deux legacy, je viens de signé pour une 335XI 2007:dunno:

Double turbo, classe, pleins de potentiel...*tu*

Hey,

I currently own a 2005 jdm impreza sti with a couple of mods (345 crank hp)
and i was looking into bmw's,
i really really like the 2001+ M3's
how is it on gas and repair parts, is everything i have to change over $1000
what are known issues, like engine wise suspension etc etc
any help would be awesome

i dont think you'll have to change much on a 2001+ M3 but an oil change is prob about 90 bucks. and if u want a new exhaust that will go over a G. u dont really need to modify the M3. it goes quite well stock.

between an E30 or an E36 , which should I choose if

- if its not about the look but rather the maintenance cost $

Après 2 STI, un WRX, un RS, deux legacy, je viens de signé pour une 335XI 2007:dunno:

hahaha c a cause de toi et de gtfourex sur MSC que je veux changer, vous m'avez derriger vers le cote obscure :bigup:

213: ya i probably won't modify much: wheels, exhaust/intake small stuff i just wanted to know what repairs cost as opposed to my sti, i imagine it would only be a little more expensive, but thanks for the heads up

between an E30 or an E36 , which should I choose if - if its not about the look but rather the maintenance cost $
Any BMW over 100K miles will need a complete suspension overhaul. That means new control arms/balljoints, tie rods, control arm bushings, rear subframe bushings, and rear shock mounts at minimum. Most will also need new shocks. You'll also need to budget for a brake overhaul (rebuild calipers and add new flex lines, fluid, pads, and rotors) and a flush of all the major fluids (radiator, tranny, rear diff, and power steering). The cost of all these items is roughly the same for the E30 or E36.

There will be more engine maintenance for a 6-cylinder E30. Those SOHC engines need frequent timing belt changes, valve timing adjustments, and spark plug changes. Most will also need a new cap & rotor and ignition wires at this point.

E36 engines are more robust.

Emre

Super!!! Excellent choix!!! J'ai bien hate de lire ton appréciation du X-Drive versus le AWD de Subaru, je crois que tu seras bien placé pour en parler.

J'ai longuement pensé à la 335 et fait le roadtest (335i) , mais je n'ai pas eu le feeling voulu, la puissance est difficile à sentir, MAIS comme tu le dis, PLEIN de potentiel, les chiffres obtenus avec le chipping est autour de 355hp - 360lbs sur les boards...

:bigup:

WHEN does a BMW engine DIES ?

When does a normally maintenaned BMW engine gives up ?

It is known that the thing that fails in BMW, is rarely the body but the engine.

If I buy a 5000$ BMW, what should be the most KM the engine has for me to be able to drive still another 100 000 KM.

I am talking about engines found on BMW series-3 & series-5 from 1988 to 1995.

thank you as always

When does a normally maintenaned BMW engine gives up ?
That all depends on how the engine was maintained. With frequent oil changes and normal use, a typical BMW engine can easily go 200-250K miles. There are many that have made it to 300K and beyond with nothing more than routine maintenance.

It is known that the thing that fails in BMW, is rarely the body but the engine.
Not true at all. In Quebec, most BMW's die due to body/chassis corrosion. Most of the time, the engines are still running strong.

If I buy a 5000$ BMW, what should be the most KM the engine has for me to be able to drive still another 100 000 KM.
For a well-maintained car, I would expect the engine, tranny, and diff to last 250K miles without trouble. The wear items on BMW's are all the things I listed in my previous post. The engine is not the problem.

Emre

the secret to the bmw engine lasting so long is the inline 6. V engines have counter acting forces on the the crank which tend to wear the bearings sooner hense why at about 160000+ kms u have to rebuild the whole engine and because of the un even wearing in the cylinders. where as inlines last longer becasue there is no opposing forces and they are very well balanced, now inline 4s last about 250k+ kms because of this but they go because they are high reving and u always have to strain them to get going anywhere. the inline 6 will last longer because it has 6 cylinders working less harder than 4 cylinders and in most cases rev lower than 4s. if an inline 6 has been well maintained it should last approx 300K+ kms.

the secret to the bmw engine lasting so long is the inline 6. V engines have counter acting forces on the the crank which tend to wear the bearings sooner hense why at about 160000+ kms u have to rebuild the whole engine and because of the un even wearing in the cylinders. where as inlines last longer becasue there is no opposing forces and they are very well balanced, now inline 4s last about 250k+ kms because of this but they go because they are high reving and u always have to strain them to get going anywhere. the inline 6 will last longer because it has 6 cylinders working less harder than 4 cylinders and in most cases rev lower than 4s. if an inline 6 has been well maintained it should last approx 300K+ kms.

It reminds me of guys saying that FORD V8 blocks are less reliable when compared to GM V8 blocks because it has a different angle in the "V".

moi c la premiere bm que j'me sus acheter et j'ai pas été decu a date appart losti de rouille sale :p

attend toi a refaire un peu de body, peut etre les rocker et le plancher.

changer le starter ou une clutch c'est une job assez roff aussi, sinon couteuse au garage

les piece en generale on l'air dans les meme echelle de prix que les japonaise (dans le jobber) sinon a scrap c'est des criss de profiteur a cause que ta une ''bm''

j'parle du modele e36, le reste j'y connais 0.

coté économie d'essence, j'ai le moteur 2,5 6cyl et ca tank moins que mes 2 honda (integra 92 prelude 91) peut etre a cause que ca la un bon low torque.

coté électronique, les plug sont des osti de cancer...la moitier sont jammer, deja tout cassé, ou pas defesable..entk, vraiment ces plugs la c du caca en canne. y'en a 2-3 que j'ai été oubligé de carrement couper les fils...pis meme apres avoir defait tout ca, avec des grosse pince jai pas reussit a les ouvrir en 2, au lieu de ca le plastique y casse en morceau...l'enfer :p

One reason to NOT buy a Bmw : can't afford maintenance & parts

simple as that

other reason, some models with weak cooling systems
(diying clutch fan on E36 M3, plastic waters pumps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back