Suspended licence question

JasonYo

This might be a stupid question but it's better to be sure.

So I got a ticket a long time ago, contested it was found guilty and now I have a year to pay it off, the ticket causes me to loose my licence from the demerit points, but my question is does that only happen once I pay off the ticket?

Because it's been 2 weeks and I haven't gotten a letter from the saaq yet, and I checked the validity of my licence on the saaq site here http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/checking/index.php and it said my licence IS valid. Which would mean that it's not suspended right?

Je pense que ton permis est suspendu depuis que tu as été juger coupable! Normalement ceci arrive quand tu paye ton ticket mais je ne suis pas sur pour la cour!

Contrary to a federal court order (in the case of a DUI for example) where the Judge revokes your right to drive a motor vehicle immediately from the time you are found guilty, in the case of demerit points, the court can only enforce the payment portion of the sentence for the offence. The demerit points and resulting revocation of your licence are taken care exclusively by the SAAQ (such as in your case). So until you get this letter, you are entitled to drive your car.

If this is your first offence, you may be entitled to apply for a restrictive licence (permis restreint) to go to work but you have to make an application for it (for a fee) and go to court and argue your case and convince a judge that you really need this licence.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Following the court decision, the SAAQ will send you a letter telling you the effective date of your suspension. You can drive until this date. It's usually 3 weeks to a month before it takes effect.

Back