Road Test: Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger vs Genesis Coupe?

Spaceman Spiff

Motor Trend has a comparison of the V6 versions of those cars. Who will win?

0410mt.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...10_camaro_rs_vs_2010_challenger_se/index.html

Originating in the late 1960s, the term "musclecar" has always referred to an American coupe with a robust engine designed to generate stout levels of both speed and power. In other words, a rear-drive two-door V-8-propelled Yankee capable of producing thunderclouds of Firestone smoke.
Today, much remains the same. Take a look at our recent comparison test between three modern musclecars -- Ford Mustang GT, Chevrolet Camaro SS, and Dodge Challenger SRT8 -- and you'll see that all are American designed and engineered (the Chevy and Dodge, it's worth noting, are assembled in Canada), feature brawny 400-plus-horsepower V-8 engines (the "smallest" displaces 5.0 liters), and are capable of quarter-mile times once reserved for race cars and import supercars (the Mustang GT needs just 12.7 seconds at 111.3 mph). It's safe to say that today's collection of muscle is the greatest of all time, certainly when considering the handling dynamics match the heady horsepower.

Of course, the price for all of this muscular marvelousness, while relatively cheap compared with similarly powerful coupes from Asia and Europe, still runs around $40 large when optioned up. So if you're one who associates musclecar with affordable, then you're out of luck. Fortunately, there's an offshoot of the musclecar available today that can burn gobs of rubber without burning wads of cash. These coupes retain the requisite front-engine, rear-drive layout but ditch V-8s in favor of advanced, high-revving V-6s, a move that drops bottom lines to around $25,000 to start. And, when applicable, these six-cylinder, four-seat coupes sport styling that mimics that of their V-8 brethren, so their facades still scream bulging bicep. Let's dub them "hustlecars."

Click to view Gallery

Surveying today's offerings, we found four such machines: the 2011 Ford Mustang V-6, armed with a fresh 305-horse engine and GT suspension; the retro-chic Chevy Camaro RS, boasting 20-inch wheels and 304 direct-injected ponies; the 250-horse cruise-ship Dodge Challenger SE, arguably the finest modern interpretation of a classic forebear; and the wildcard Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8, a low-slung South Korean whose 306 horsepower trumps that of its three American foes.

c'étais un petit peu normal que le gen coupe soit la meilleur des 4 en version 6cyl,les autres moteurs sont tres ordinaires apart p-e la mustang avec le nouveau v6

The v6 stang performance wise is better then the Genesis. Better in the quarter mile, better from 0to60 better in lateral g and better in breaking even though the Genesis has Brembos!!!
The Gen Coupe in the test was $31K+. The Mustang $25K+. For that price you can get a 5.0 Mustang.

I don't see how the stang lost lol.

Oh yeah all this on a live real axle.

then you will loose your money challenger v6 is most likely the worst of them all the new mustang v6 is very impressive for the entry level model id say its probably the best

For looks i will go for the camaro.. but for performance v6 mustang all the way.

The v6 stang performance wise is better then the Genesis. Better in the quarter mile, better from 0to60 better in lateral g and better in breaking even though the Genesis has Brembos!!!
The Gen Coupe in the test was $31K+. The Mustang $25K+. For that price you can get a 5.0 Mustang.

If you wanted all the options the GC has in the Mustang, it would be 32k. He says it in the article. The V6 GC starts at 25k.

I'd get the GC in a heartbeat because it's the only one that doesn't look like you couldn't afford the real version. lol

They talked about driving pleasure, maybe the genesis is better, dunno.
But without having driven them, I'd go for the mustang too, and it's less ugly.

meme si je suis un fan fini des Mustang, je ne peux pas supporter la V6

*edit* ouin apres avoir vu la review je dois dire que je suis impressionné par le V6 de la Mustang surtout qu'elle coute 25 000$ canadien... la Genesis Coupe V6 part a 35 000$ canadien... c'est juste 2000$ de moins que la Mustang GT 2011 de 420hp... je trouve que la Genesis avait pas sa place dans la review etant donné que c'etait une comparaison des modeles d'entrée de gamme et la V6 Coupe est le plus gros modele tu peux acheter... evidemment la version 2.0t n'est pas de taille

Last edited:
meme si je suis un fan fini des Mustang, je ne peux pas supporter la V6

*edit* ouin apres avoir vu la review je dois dire que je suis impressionné par le V6 de la Mustang surtout qu'elle coute 25 000$ canadien... la Genesis Coupe V6 part a 35 000$ canadien... c'est juste 2000$ de moins que la Mustang GT 2011 de 420hp... je trouve que la Genesis avait pas sa place dans la review etant donné que c'etait une comparaison des modeles d'entrée de gamme et la V6 Coupe est le plus gros modele tu peux acheter... evidemment la version 2.0t n'est pas de taille

La GenCoupe V6 comence a 33k CDN.

I'd get the GC in a heartbeat because it's the only one that doesn't look like you couldn't afford the real version. lol

Funny, I'd say the same thing for the GC with the G35 coupe being the real version lol

At the end of the day it comes down to preference I guess.

Sauf que je ferais un mtl-floride la tete tranquille avec un mustang 2011.

Pas avec AUCUNE vidange de 20 ans quand même qu'elle ait 20 000km je m'en fou j'en veut pas.

Dans une Toyota aussi (mr2, soarer, supra).
Mais pour mtl-floride je racheterais ma firefly pour sauver du gaz (ou prendrais l'avion).

Sauf que je ferais un mtl-floride la tete tranquille avec un mustang 2011.

Pas avec AUCUNE vidange de 20 ans quand même qu'elle ait 20 000km je m'en fou j'en veut pas.

Hahahaha... l'été passé on a fait 5400km (D1GP Chicago) en 3jours avec une Cressida 87.. LOADÉ à block.. Je le referais n'importe quand la tête tranquille.

Back