Article: 1997 Integra Type R up to $40,000 on ebay

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Simply stunning to see one in this good condition. I thought mine was ok but this one...:bow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141601653407

This pristine 1997 Acura Integra Type R from Phoenix, Arizona has only been driven 10,000 miles and is for sale on Ebay. The bid is currently $40,100 USD!!

The owner has kept it 100% stock and even has the original window sticker from the sale. As you can see, it retailed for $23,535 USD at the time of purchase. For it to sell for over $40,000 (a 70% increase) would be simply remarkable.

Due to the limited amount of Type R’s that were produced, its impressive performance and extreme popularity, few really clean unmodified ones still exist. The majority fell victim to either theft or were crashed. You can probably pick up a relatively clean one with high mileage for around $10,000 or so which is still very good for a 15-18-year old Acura.

r01.jpg

r02.jpg

r03.jpg

r04.jpg

r05.jpg

r06.jpg

r07.jpg

r08.jpg

r09.jpg

r10.jpg

r11.jpg

r12.jpg

r13.jpg

r14.jpg

r15.jpg

Ive said it for years, that one day these cars will be worth 100,000$+ Barret jackson 2030. Same with mk1 and mk2 GTIs.

Buy it and it will be worth double in 10 years. I feel that clean Type Rs are rarer than clean 993s

Indeed. Seriously, I think in the end it would be better if someone cashed in his RRSP and bought the car, then sell it back at retirement...

The Hemi Cuda of its generation.

Meanwhile on facebook, some people says this car is shit and says its a civic ..... How can MR and MR Facebook is like completely two worlds?

Nice time capsule!

I'm really curious why he's selling it though. $23,535 adjusted for inflation is $34,269 today, he's not making much if it sells for $40,000. Like others said, if he keeps it for another 10 years it will probably be worth real money. Although there are 82 bids and still 2 days left on the auction...it could still climb quite a bit.

this is why mine stay in the garage, it will take value. Im killin my self to tell ppl that an R with all the Vin matching clean title and full history worth good money... there's a proof

I had to reply to the FB post about it being basically "just a Civic".

The reason why the price is so high is because of a variety of factors which make this car a classic. A regular Integra with a simple motor swap might attain the same amount of horsepower but would still be inferior performance wise. The Type R was a very special product that Honda lost money on but did it so they could use it to compete in N-series and World Cup racing. Only a few thousand per year were imported to North America. At the time this was THE car to have and rivaled even the E36 M3 on a track. There are so few left that the value will continue to rise - especially for people who were racing at that time. Then again, if you're not a Honda fan, it's only natural the car would not be very interesting to you.

Some more info on the differences between a Type R and regular Integra:

Spot welds and thicker metal around the rear shock towers and lower subframe, weight reduction (reduced sound insulation, 10% thinner windscreen, lighter wheels), more power, rev limiter set at 8500 RPM USDM (8600 RPM JDM, 8700 RPM UKDM), hand built engine featuring hand-polished and ported intake ports, high compression pistons, undercut valves and revised intake and exhaust systems, and suspension upgrades. The result was a capable sports coupe which was acclaimed by motoring journalists worldwide. Interestingly, there is only 33 lbs of net weight difference between the Integra Type R and the Integra GS-R, because the extra metal and cross bracing in the Type R almost negated most of the 98 lbs. of weight reductions. Although the JDM version was significantly lighter than the SiR (JDM ITR 96 - 97 delete could include: air bags, A/C, rear wiper, radio, center console, clock, P/S and ABS). The DC2 Type R was the only Type R ever sold in North America (With the Acura badge). For the European, Australian and New Zealand market the DC2 was sold as a Honda.

An interesting and little-publicized fact about the 1995–2001 DC2 Type R is that Honda lost money on every single vehicle sold, even though extra dealer markups sometimes made for excessive dealer profit. Honda produced the DC2 Type R for homologation purposes to meet FIA certification of the motor and the chassis changes to make the car more competitive in N-series and World Cup racing. The details required, hand tooling in early versions and finishing the product through the use of various small fabrication shops in Japan made for increased costs in manufacture that could not be made up in the list price of the vehicles. Honda (and Acura in the US) deemed the car important for the marque's image and important for the racing programmes of the era, and the parent company therefore accepted a financial net loss on each vehicle sold.

It has been acclaimed by motoring journalists world-wide, including Evo magazine, who named the Type R 'the greatest front-wheel-drive performance car ever.' and TheAutoChannel.com who also named it 'the best handling front-wheel drive car ever.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Integra

Nice time capsule!

I'm really curious why he's selling it though. $23,535 adjusted for inflation is $34,269 today, he's not making much if it sells for $40,000. Like others said, if he keeps it for another 10 years it will probably be worth real money. Although there are 82 bids and still 2 days left on the auction...it could still climb quite a bit.

I can see a gt and a nsx in one picture don't know if he owns all of them but money doesn't seem to be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People on the Facebook page are being ignorant. The Integra type R is a legend. Original, mint condition muscle cars fetch over 100k at auctions while swapped ones will go for less than half that amount. It has nothing to do with the power, it's the history behind the vehicle that makes it legendary and valuable.

Une vrai perle.. je la ramasserais anytime avoir le $$$$$ et sortirais que le dimanche au soleil..jai eu une 2001canadienne mint non vga all vin match ,1343 et jvais toujours m'en ennuyer.. le cachet,feeling qu'un type r donne est to much...certe pas une gt3rs ou une LFA mais honda l'a pas echappé avec celle la!!!

this is why mine stay in the garage, it will take value. Im killin my self to tell ppl that an R with all the Vin matching clean title and full history worth good money... there's a proof

Also leaving it parked in a parking lot for 1ms would result in having it instantly stolen

Back