What should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewall

Legacy Member
I am looking to build myself a new sound system (since my old one got stolen), and I need your opinions. I will need to following:

- CD head unit
- 4 speakers, all 6 1/2 with components, no 6x9
- 1 amplifier - something around 400 watts RMS
- 2 x 10" subs

I already have a cap. For the CD player I was thinking of getting the CDA-7983 from Alpine, which is what I had before, pushes 4x60, sounds really nice. For the amp, someone told me to try Pheonix Gold, told me it was absolutely amazing.

What would you guys recommend. I'm going for good quality, I don't want to go too crazy, and I love really tight base. I'm going to build my own box at around 0.75 cubic feet per sub.

How about using the stock speakers for rear fill and invest in some good components up front! Or maybe a nice set up front and a cheaper set in the back. Use 2 amps, one for subs and maybe a 2 channel for the fronts (rear speakers can use the HUs pwer). Something along the lines of a 75x2 @ 4 ohms to push a nice set of components in the front. Components speakers in the rear are useless for daily driving, may as well go with a coaxial speaker.

The Alpine HU is a good choice! And as for the subs, well since your only looking for around 400W RMS, maybe 2 10" JLW0s? Or maybe consider opting for a single 12" setup! Or even consider stepping up to a bigger amp, and look at some better quality 10" subs! It's an endless hobby, but you better off starting slow when buying stuff. Buy it, install it, and listen to it. then figure out whats missing/lacking in the sound, then select your next purchase based upon that. Keep doing so until your happy with the way it sounds!

My last piece of advice, don't buy something thinking "it may be goo" or "i could settle for that". Always spend the money to buy WHAT YOU WANT. It sucks to buy something once, not like it down the line, and buy something to replace. If you buy 'good stuff' right away, you won't need to spend double your time and money on something that could and should have been done right in the first place.

actually, the setup I mentionned was the exact same thing as I had before. I use to have a Alpine CDA-7983 HU, 2 Sony 6 1/2 components with soft dome tweeters in the front (found them all right, but my buddy has some Alpine's really like them), I had older pioneer 6x9 4-way speakers in the back, I liked them but they made the sound come too much from the back, which is why I wanted to get 6 1/2 for the back as well, balance out the sound. As for an amp, I had a RF power 250.2 (new), was all right, but I would like to go a bit more powerful. And I had 2 RF 10" 400W max 200W RMS in a sealed box. I like the sound, although I would like to get better sound for the front. I was thinking maybe a nice set of MB quartz for the front, but I don't know.

What are the good brand now for speakers, amps and subs? I've been out of the game for 2 long!

Are you buying all this with insurance money??? Or your own? The reason I ask is so that I know if you can buy used or not. Also what is your budget (not including the HU).

I'm buying this with insurance money, but I don't want to put too much into it. I was thinking about $2000 total, not including installation which I will do myself. I want something that will sound really nice, but not too too crazy. I would prefer to stick with new stuff though. I have contacts at Stereo Plus that usually give me great deals, and I know they carry Alpine and Pheonix Gold, and that's what I leaning toward right now.

Tennis160: Definately going for SQ, don't really care about SPL anymore.

i really dont know what kind of car audio shops are located in your area so i'll make youe syatem using what futureshop has

1 Head unit: Pioneer DEHP6400 399.99
4 Component speakers: Infinity 605CS 6" Speaker : 519.98
2 Subs: Rockford Fosgate RFP3210: 519.98
1 amp: Rockford Fosgate 500BD: 799.99

total: $2239.94 best system i could make up with futureshop speakers

Stay AWAY from Future shop! btw tennis, our local dealers carry just about everything. So name off jusya bout anything :D The only reason I say stay away from FS is cause of the equipment they have. They'll always carry lower-end of any model they have. The only thing that is good that I find is the Infinity Perfect. Apart from that I wouldn't waste my time there. Stick to the smaller specialized stores, you'll get better service and more technical advice. The employees at FS have got a lot better, FS is really beginning to push the stereo section, and are hiring well trained employees, however they will never get such contracts to distribute that good of equipment. All you'll ever find there are the mainstream brands.

Back to the topic, since its with insurance money, I don't believe you can buy used stuff. Since its the insurance that pays the store directly isnt it? I guess it depends on who your company is, but thats how I thought it worked. If they wrote the chequc to you directly, all the better! :D But when you go into the store, tell the owner/manager it's being paid by insurance, some dealers/stores have ways of loading you up pretty nicely off the insurance settlement. My boss had his house robbed... lost a bunch of things including a declared $1000 in of his wifes jewelry. Went to where the insurance told them to go, and walked out with about $8000 in merchandise at the insurance's expense! The jeweler found way around the system! :) Whatever works! :D

Yah I'm not a fan of futureshop quality but in a tight budget situation they can really help you out!! well since 99AltimaGXE said your local dealers carry just about everything I'll make a system up for youe around 2000 $

tight budget?!?!? I'm sorry man, but for $2000, I think I can get something pretty damn good! Here's what I have lined up so far: Alpine CDA-7983 for HU, Alpine Type-R 6 1/2"components in the front, Alpine type-R either 6 1/2" coax or 6x9 in the back, Alpine MRD-M500 500Wx1 RMS digital amplifier. The only thing I still don't know is which subs to get. From what the guys at stereo plus have told me, most of the subs today a designed for SPL, not really SQ, and also not designed for a sealed box. I definately want 2x10" subs in a sealed box, it's just a question of finding the right combination to work with that amp. Stereo Plus can get Alpine, Pheonix Gold, Pioneer/Premier and sony. Which brand should I get. And if you recommend something in another brand, what would it be?

what about an amp for the 6.5" components up front???? and yeah $2000 is sorta a tight budget! :D Considering the 6.5s I'm going to be buying soon are $800, and the 4 channel amp I want is in the neighborhood of $1500... :)

all right, all right, when you put it like that!!! :D I was actually planning on pushing the components with only the radio for now. Maybe when I get more flow next summer I'll put in a small amp for the speakers.

All right, it's decided, here's what I'm getting:

Alpine CDA-7893 HU, 4x60, all around great radio
Alpine Type-R 6 1/2" components for the front
Alpine MRD-M500 Class D amp, 500w RMS, great amp
2 x Alpine Type-R 10" subs

All of that for $1800. For now I'm just going to run the stock speakers in the back, hopefully that will be enough, might upgrade to a cheaper pair later this year.

What do you guys think?

look s good... the extra $200 will go toward wiring and such. try and find another alping amp, just a smal 4x50 or 2x50 or even 70W to put on those front components. Trust me it's worth it, the clarity will be unbelievable, and you'll have something called midbass!!! (something that a HU can't proved enough power for! :D)

what the hell does that have to do with anything in this thread. I asked this question because I needed some advice, not because I wanted people to tell me what he has in his trunk.

What do you want us to say now, WOW, you're my new idol for putting $7000 in the trunk of your car!!!

Originally posted by firewall
what the hell does that have to do with anything in this thread. I asked this question because I needed some advice, not because I wanted people to tell me what he has in his trunk.

What do you want us to say now, WOW, you're my new idol for putting $7000 in the trunk of your car!!!

yah you got a good point sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back