Run for your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenassi

Banned
I have decided to work on my cardiovascular system. Running in the streets is what I do when I have nothing to do. Are there runners on this forum that could give me some tips ? I am a beginner and I would like to start properly. My present program consists of running for about one kilometer per day. Share your thoughts.

one km? thats like eating a grape and calling it dinner.

get a good bike and go out and explore the city. use the things your tax $$ pay for.

It's true that running on concrete or asphalt can be harsh on your knees/legs, but it helps if you get a proper pair of running shoes. If you can, find a path you can run along, such as parks and whatnot.

Also, if you find varying degrees of terrain (running uphill/downhill), it would be good for you, as you're not constantly running at the same pace, with the same effort.

I actually just got a new pair of running shoes for outside, and one of those new iPod clip-shuffles. :D Since the weather got warmer, I've been planning to go out for a jog everyday that I can. I have a few pairs for indoor running (I'd run on the treadmill mostly), but thought the padding was too soft, and got shin splints when I ran outside with them. The iPod is so that I don't have to hold a heavy ass 30gb running around town. Put a bit of money and make it more enjoyable for yourself.

one km? thats like eating a grape and calling it dinner.

get a good bike and go out and explore the city. use the things your tax $$ pay for.

He did say he's just beginning. One thing most beginners do is try to start off too quick, which kills their motivation to work out.

There's nothing wrong with running either. It's a weight bearing exercises which will allow his bones to gain more density, reducing the risk of any bone-related diseases in the future. :p

J'ai commencé à courrir il y a un peu plus qu'un an. Au début, je n'arrivais même pas à parcourir 1 km que j'était sur le point de mourir. Pourtant j'ai un excellent cardio. Maintenant, je fait facilement 5 km à un bon rythme et je continue de m'améliorer.

Enfin...Voici mes trucs pour commencer:

Je jamais courrir 2 jours de suite. Surtout pour commencer. Une scéance tout les 3 jours.
Commences par 10 minutes d'échauffemant en marche rapide.
Courts jusqu'a temps que tu ne peut plus continuer. Ensuite marche pendant 10 minutes et recommence.
Essaies de toujours dépasser ton objectif, ça va batir ton endurance.
Courts le ventre vide. Jamais après un repas. Le matin idéalement c'est mieux car c'est plus frais.
Courts dans la rue et non sur le troittoir.
De la Musique pour te distraire et petite bouteille d'eau mais en dedans de 2 km, tu n'en a pas besoin.
Achètes des bonnes chaussures et demande a qqun qui connait.
Tu peux commencer sur un treadmill aussi, c'est plus confortable.

En effet je fesais bcp de cross country plus jeune pis je peux vous dire c ruff sur les genoux a la longue... j'ai d'ailleur arreter avant de développer de futur probleme, mon ami lui a dut se faire operer pour de l'eau dans le genou...

btw, to the OP, how fast are you running the 1km you are doing per day? You could run a smaller distance, but it really depends on your effort.

I would definatly reccomend good shoes now as well.

I walked 14 km's on saturday and i actually tried running for about half a click, and my shins are shot to shit still. brand new airwalks. dont do that lol

How do you feel at the end of your run?

To give you an idea, I just started running about a week ago, and calculated my distance and time. I was quite active before though, mostly playing basketball more than anything. When I first did my run, I just jogged around town, going in and out of streets, and checking my watch so I can run for 30 mins. At first, I thought I was only running maybe 2-3 kms at most. I Google-Mapped my run (I can link it here if you like), and it ended up being 5.8kms, which was actually a big surprise to me.

I do 5.8km just under 30 mins.
5.8km/30min = 11.6kmph
I found a calorie calculator online, and according to my weight, I'm burning about 500 cals.

As soon as I get home from the run, I can hardly take another running step. I've been told by my friend who used to run in high-school, that it's a "very good pace." I also have another friend who is currently a track coach here on the South Shore, and I've been asking them for beginner tips.

Their suggestions to me was to continue with what I'm doing, as it takes a bit of time for the body to get used to exercise. Trying to do too much, too fast, can simply lead to injuries, or simply stress/exhaustion to the body. It also depends on how much effort you want to exert during your run. Some people prefer going on long run/walks (in 10 min intervals for example), and some people prefer going for quick, High-Intensity-Interval-Training (HIIT) bouts, which basically is a submaximal effort for a quick period, and relying on the rest-recovery to burn the calories.

I prefer going for 30 mins, at a steady pace, feeling exerted at the end. Find out what you PREFER, and stick to it for now, then set higher goals later on. Don't try to do something you don't enjoy, or else you'll end up seeing the run as a burden.

BTW, seriously get an iPod. When I have about 5 mins left to my run, I feel like I need to stop, but I shuffle through my iPod, and certain songs get me pumped enough to run even faster till I get home.

Last two runs, my final tracks were:
- Stronger by Kanye West
- Run by Gnarls Barkley (this one gave me some sort of adrenaline rush, surprisingly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back