Glass polishing kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot those kits and products are misleading and are only for cleaning the glass and not for removing scratches.

You need at least a product with cerium oxide to polish glass to remove minor defects.

^^^^ very true, and you really really really need a rotary to do that. Also a whool pad is the way to go.

A PC will not generate enough heat to do any correction.

so what is this kit good for?

i want my windows to be as clean as possible and to have some good repellant propriety.

so what is this kit good for?

i want my windows to be as clean as possible and to have some good repellant propriety.

If you just want to clean it, just use detailing clay, it will be squeekly clean afterwards !

Big difference.

Rain-X can goes away every time you use the wipers. Aquapel last longer, creates a barrier and will likely last about 4 months in average with 1 application.

Big difference.

Rain-X can goes away every time you use the wipers. Aquapel last longer, creates a barrier and will likely last about 4 months in average with 1 application.

And you clay first, right???

BTW, your job on my car just got an "overide" by the guys at AutoLux. I'm getting the car back tonight and the guy was all happy to tell me they spent the afternoon doing a polish & wax on the whole ca........ Oh well... Let's see how it turned out... :(

Big difference.

Humm, pas certain de ce que tu dits. J'ai déjà utilisé RainX en forme de vaporisateur. J'ai tellement aimé le produit que j'ai essayé le liquide lave glace RainX. Le vaporisateur s'applique facilement et une seule application dure facilement 3 semaines. J'ai tout essayé pour l'enlever mais c'est très durable.

BTW, your job on my car just got an "overide" by the guys at AutoLux. I'm getting the car back tonight and the guy was all happy to tell me they spent the afternoon doing a polish & wax on the whole ca........ Oh well... Let's see how it turned out... :(

Clay helps a lot yes. It's not a must but it's the same as when you polish a car. The clay removes what a normal wash cannot do. It also helps the product to bond properly to the glass/clear

Autolux does great work. Sometimes.. not always but when a body shop performs a complete polish is due to overspray on the car. Anyways it wont hurt if done properly *tu*

Humm, pas certain de ce que tu dits. J'ai déjà utilisé RainX en forme de vaporisateur. J'ai tellement aimé le produit que j'ai essayé le liquide lave glace RainX. Le vaporisateur s'applique facilement et une seule application dure facilement 3 semaines. J'ai tout essayé pour l'enlever mais c'est très durable.

J'ai pas essaye le vaporisateur pour etre franc. Je devrais p-e. De toute facon je m'en sers presque pas etant donné que dernierement je roule que 3km pour aller a l'ecole. Et la fds je travaille pas mal :p

As-tu essaye aquapel? facile a appliquer, le dealer charge 40-50$ mais le commanditaire de ce forum je crois qu'ils l'ont pour moins de $10.00

Non, j'ai pas essayé aquapel. Mais ce qui est pratique avec Rain X c'est que même si tu dois en appliquer 3-4 fois pendant l'année, le produit coûte 10$ et c'est disponible chez Canadian Tire.

Alex get ready to do his car again ! ...LoL

I know who supplies them with their detailing products.

As stated above, if you really want to polish your windshield, you need a cerium oxyde powder. I've used this kit before with great results. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm

There are a few considerations:

- If you're talented with a rotary and you have a good assortment of polishing compounds you can do a good job. You need to build up some heat in to polish the pits in the glass, the objective is to make the edges of scratches and pits smooth so that they don't catch light as much.

- Do not EVER try to polish side or rear windows. The single pane tempered glass will shatter if localized heat is applied to it. The process only works on windshields because they are two coats of regular glass laminated with a film in between.

- Go ahead and wax / zaino / glaze / whatever your windshield with a PC or orbital, it won't harm it and the mild polishing action will clear up some swirls and such. It's going to help making it water repellent.

As stated above, if you really want to polish your windshield, you need a cerium oxyde powder. I've used this kit before with great results. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm

There are a few considerations:

- If you're talented with a rotary and you have a good assortment of polishing compounds you can do a good job. You need to build up some heat in to polish the pits in the glass, the objective is to make the edges of scratches and pits smooth so that they don't catch light as much.

- Do not EVER try to polish side or rear windows. The single pane tempered glass will shatter if localized heat is applied to it. The process only works on windshields because they are two coats of regular glass laminated with a film in between.

- Go ahead and wax / zaino / glaze / whatever your windshield with a PC or orbital, it won't harm it and the mild polishing action will clear up some swirls and such. It's going to help making it water repellent.

Thanks for the help.

I dont really need to do a big big polish job i'm just trying to get ride of the swirls cause by the poor washing techniques from the past owner.

So if i've understand you say you can also polish the windows with some mild polish that i would use for my car to get rid of the swirls???

What's the best way to clean the windshield from the inside without leaving streaks? It's so annoying to see streaks and a film of some sort when driving against the Sun.

Poli avec un linge microfibre SEC.

C'est la seule façon j'ai réussi à le rendre propre propre propre.

So if i've understand you say you can also polish the windows with some mild polish that i would use for my car to get rid of the swirls???
Sure! If you have Meguiar's step 1 or even a mild compound, you can do it by hand or using an orbital... the results won't be professional, but you'll definitely not harm anything...

It will help clear up some of the scratches, it's the sharp edges that catch the light and make them noticeable. Hit the windshield with a couple good coats of wax or polymer sealant (Zaino, etc) as well ... their filling effect works on glass too. As soon as there's no more sharp edges on a scratch, it doesn't catch light any more and becomes less noticeable. It's still there, but you won't see it as much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back