cleaning engine bay with Simple Green Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonSiR

do i absolutely have to cover all eletric parts?
i heard ppl just disconnect the negative battery terminal and just spray it and water it down.
is it good?

Disconnect the battery?

I'm sorry I never heard that before. Actually on new cars it might actually more harmful. Take a 350Z for example, if you disconect the battery you loose some codes (keys...) and dealer charges $800 to reprogram.

If you're not sure, read the manual from the manufacturer on what issues you can have.

Disconnect the battery?

I'm sorry I never heard that before. Actually on new cars it might actually more harmful. Take a 350Z for example, if you disconect the battery you loose some codes (keys...) and dealer charges $800 to reprogram.

If you're not sure, read the manual from the manufacturer on what issues you can have.

yea well my car is just a 2000 integra, i don't think it's that sophisticated lol

and good good, i'll stop by canadian tire and see if they have it.
if not, any similar product u detailers recommand? something that i can find at CT.

CT holds the simple green engine degreaser.. I bought one in St-eustache. It did one hell of a nice job on my engine bay.

if not, any similar product u detailers recommand? something that i can find at CT.

Why would you ABSOLUTELY find something mainstream half good at Canadian Tire when you can purchase professional products from members and pay about the same price, if not, less.

I personally don't like water caustic based products like Simple Green, they don't degrease good and they promote corrosion plus you need to rinse with water on top of being expensive. You can use Fantastik which is virtually the same crap, but costs less.

I personally like using Varsol, it degreases even the toughest grease and safe with electronics and is not water based. Varsol contains naptha so it dries up fast and does not leave oil residue and its pretty cheap plus I can use it for tons of other stuff !

I am willing to sell 2 cans of CD2 Engine Detailer dressing, all you do is spray your engine bay and close the hood and after 20 minutes of driving the heat from the engine will cause the product to react to form a clean and shiny engine bay along with corrosion protection.

I am keeping the rest for my own use.

Why would you ABSOLUTELY find something mainstream half good at Canadian Tire when you can purchase professional products from members and pay about the same price, if not, less.

i don't recall saying "absolutely".
im talking about CT because there's one right near my house.

Est-ce que je me trompe ou Simple Green n'est pas réellement un dégraisseur mais plutôt un détergent?

Pour tous les plastiques et caoutchous dans le compartiment moteur, j'ai vu des gens utiliser un nettoyant moussant pour pneus. S'agit tout simplement de vaporiser, la mousse se forme et agit sans frottage. Ensuite, la mousse s'écoule donc pas besoin de rincer. Ça laisse les plastiques propres et lustrés!

I personally like using Varsol, it degreases even the toughest grease and safe with electronics and is not water based. Varsol contains naptha so it dries up fast and does not leave oil residue and its pretty cheap plus I can use it for tons of other stuff !

Wouah. Did is the last thing I thought abpout using. Maybe it's good, if you say so... But Varsol is a thinner, and like all thinner, it's pretty good at drying out things. And with the amount of rubber there is in an engine bay, I would be recluant to use thinner.

Any thought on this?

Wouah. Did is the last thing I thought abpout using. Maybe it's good, if you say so... But Varsol is a thinner, and like all thinner, it's pretty good at drying out things. And with the amount of rubber there is in an engine bay, I would be recluant to use thinner.

Any thought on this?

I second this

Taken from:
http://www.recochem.com/english/products/faqs.html

Varsol®
What is Varsol®, and what can it do?
Answer: Varsol® is the registered trademark of a premium solvent and is guaranteed for its quality. Uses include thinning paints, cleaning surfaces and paintbrushes, and as an all-purpose degreaser.

What is the difference between Varsol® and regular Paint Thinner?
Answer: Regular Paint Thinner is a "generic" brand of thinner while Varsol® carries a guarantee of purity. As a result, Paint Thinner is usually less expensive than Varsol® but can be used for the same applications.

Can I use Varsol® as a degreaser?
Answer: Varsol® is an excellent degreaser for use on most metals, including automotive and industrial, and as a pre-treatment for gluing.

Can Varsol® be used to clean furniture?
Answer: Yes. Varsol®, in addition to its many other applications, is safe to use on most wooden surfaces. Because furniture has many different finishes, from antique polishes to modern plastic coatings, it is a good idea to pre-test in a hidden area first.

I let you guys use your own judgement.

Any thought on this?

All the components under your hood is resistant to gasoline and motor oil !

Most rubber cracking is due to aging from heat which is an inherent problem with VW, Audi and Porsches which uses extensive rubber ducts and manifolds, but that is a default by design more than anything else !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back