AEM + H2O = $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacey

www.handlerwheels.com
A friend of mine who just moved to Miami was driving during a rain storm and he somehow drove through a puddle and sucked a whole bunch of water into his engine!!!! :(

He went to honda and they told him that his engine did not seize (which usually happens) and that it would cost 2000$ US to take apart drain, do whatever they had to do and reinstall the engine!

I guess he didn't know about the air- bypass valve!

If you've got AEM...get one!

Read the article at the top of the page:aempower.com/

air3.jpg

art_img11.jpg

I have to tell you, I a not a believer in the bypass valve. I can see it's merrits and know that it does work, but in my opinion it is not needed. I drove my SiR 47000km (even drove it one winter) and have never had a problem. I have not ever had to drive through more than the 16" water limit (less if the car is lowered so about 12" for me!) and frankly would be worried about water getting in my doors and everywhere else too!

Matt

Matt...true...very true....but is it not worth the couple bucks to guarantee that nothing happens? I know this is not miami but it's better to be safe than sorry!

how much do they cost anyways?

I believe it bigtime.
But i also believe that if you didn't have that bypass piece the filter would have to be completely submerged for the water to be sucked in. If the filter was only half submerged it would breath through the other half. understand !!!!!!!

If half the filter is in the water, it would for sure suck some in! The pressure would increase like crazy and suck the water right up!

I know this is very unlikely, but if it's a 20$ piece it's worth the hassle just to be safe! No?

Do you think that my friends engine will behave the same having come so close to destruction. It's a ITR by the way. You know Brent, eh Danny?

Just trying to warn you CAI boys!!

the aem bypass is around 60$ for that foam and plastic. it might b expenseve, but its less than 2000$ it fix the motor. does the filter change th air flow threw the aem? does it change the sound? will it pick up hot air from the enginbay?

"Ya it would suck the water right up" If your filter was old and dirty, Try it, Make it a science project im positive 100% it would have to be submerged in order to be sucked in. Better yet lets do it to mine. But i would for sure get the piece anyway.

If you are dumb enough to drive your car through 16" of water (or even 12") then get it. Granted the valve is actually VERY well designed. And yes the filter would have to be FULLY submerged.....no question about....period.

Je me souviens de quand c etait sorti, SportCompactCar le magasine faisait un test de la AEM By Pass Valve.

Le char etait une NSX rouge avec un cold air qui sortait de l engine bay pour s en aller dans un bac remplit d eau.

Je me souviens qu ii disait que le proprio de la NSX etait un peu stressé... :rolleyes:

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back