Synthetic vs. Regular

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have as well. I'm still running regular oil. I've lots and lots of stories about synthetic and stuff but the car came with regular so I'm gonna keep using it. I know that in Import Tunner, they did a dyno test on a car that had regular and swithced to synthetic and it lost a few hp because of the thicker oil. Unless synthetic is gonna give me a major hp gain, I don't see the poin to switch.

I have as well. I'm still running regular oil. I've lots and lots of stories about synthetic and stuff but the car came with regular so I'm gonna keep using it. I know that in Import Tunner, they did a dyno test on a car that had regular and swithced to synthetic and it lost a few hp because of the thicker oil. Unless synthetic is gonna give me a major hp gain, I don't see the point to switch.

I've got synthetic...Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 (whatever Wal-Mart has in stock that day) runs nice. What I really like is how nice and clean my oil is right up until my oil change.

Because of thicker oil? Synthetic is generally a little thinner than the dino oil counterpart even if it's rated at a certain weight. Usually synthetic makes a little more hp than dino oil. Don't expect any significant gains though. You'll never even feel it.

Synthetic has a few advantages. Because it's and stays thinner at low temperatures, it'll protect a better at startup. It also a lot better for high revving engines because it doesn't break down as easily as dino oils especially at the high temps that our engines usually see.

Mobile 1 is fine. Anything pure synthetic with no additives is very good. Redline oils may be a bit better, but definately not worth the premium.

I used motul 300 synthetic(100$ oil) and it made no difference from the voll synthese that i normally use. i've heard that Synthetic only benifits cars that are driven in the cold or hard!

How do you expect to gain HP from switching oil?.
Synthetic oil protects engine parts better because it is absorbed in to the metal as with regular oil drips off the metal when the car is sitting there, then when you start your car after it has been sitting there for 12 hours the engine parts are not well protected and this friction between the piston rings and cylinder walls is what eventually will lead to your engine losing compression over the years.
Starting your car is harder onthe engine than driving it on yhe highway.

Synthetic does not soak into the metal any more than regular oil. It mainly protects better because it withstands wear and high heat much better and doesn't break down as easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back