HVAC / Air Conditioner recommendations?

Swix

Legacy Member
Anyone from MR do HVAC repairs / installs?

My air conditioner is not turning on this morning. When checking my furnace, the breaker keeps flipping when turning on the AC. When turning on the heat, no issues. Likewise, turning on the fan from AUTO to ON works fine too...

Seems to be AC related... it's an old KeepRite green machine for a 2000sq ft house.

Thanks.

Anyone use Angel Climatisation? Reviews seem ok.

I used Fred Electric years ago for lighting. I wouldn't use again.

It's a gas furnance (lennox high-efficiency) with an outdoor A/C unit (KeepRite).

A/C only ?

Not many things will trip a breaker (other than a short in the wiring). If the breaker trips only when the outdoor unit is in demand, the problem is most likely outside.

A defective compressor will do that. A defective outdoor unit fan motor as well.

Is the breaker you are talking about a large breaker in an electrical panel or is it a small reset-type breaker/button ? Does it trip the second you try to start the A/C or does it take a little while ?

Something i don't understand. Are you saying that when you turn on the A/C (keepright), your furnace breaker opens? We are talking about in your electrical pannel right? And it's not coming on? (the A/C)

it's not lack of refrigerant because this would not even start the compressor.
You have a short somewhere. I just don't get it why your furnace breaker would open. did you have anything done this winter to the furnace or A/C

A/C only ?

Not many things will trip a breaker (other than a short in the wiring). If the breaker trips only when the outdoor unit is in demand, the problem is most likely outside.

A defective compressor will do that. A defective outdoor unit fan motor as well.

Is the breaker you are talking about a large breaker in an electrical panel or is it a small reset-type breaker/button ? Does it trip the second you try to start the A/C or does it take a little while ?

The breaker is a small reset switch inside the Lennox furnace. The breaker in the electrical panel (30 amp) for the A/C does not trip. I even flipped it back/forth because sometimes a breaker can flip but not fully over.

The breaker in the furnace will trip every time I try to turn the A/C on from the central thermostat. The furnace breaker does NOT trip when putting heat or when just running the fan.

Something i don't understand. Are you saying that when you turn on the A/C (keepright), your furnace breaker opens? We are talking about in your electrical pannel right? And it's not coming on? (the A/C)

it's not lack of refrigerant because this would not even start the compressor.
You have a short somewhere. I just don't get it why your furnace breaker would open. did you have anything done this winter to the furnace or A/C

Yep, when I turn on the A/C, the furnace breaker (inside the furnace.. not electrical panel) will flip. To be clear, no breakers in the electrical panel flip....

I didn't do anything to the A/C this summer. We have been using the A/C for the last 2-3 weeks without issue... suddenly, it doesn't work.

Issued solved!

2 wires inside the A/C unit didn't have the plastic shielding anymore...25 year old wires. So it was shorting the system from starting. It took the HVAC tech about 5 mins to figure it out...

He was honest, on time, and walked me through his testing.

Back