Frequency settings !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeArrSixXeR

Legacy Member
We all want the best surrounding sound in the car.........how do we set the frequencies?
for the speakers in the car, what frequency for the bass, mids and high should i set? 60hz? 125hz? 1.5khz? 15khz?
don't need specifics, just an idea of around where i should be?
thank you:bigup:

What kind of crossover do you have? And not everyone wants a 'surround sound', surround is only good if you have a multimedia setup!

I don't have an external cross-over, basically it's my Head Unit i want to "program" and my amp(LPF)
On my head unit, i have front HPF and Rear HPF
and LPF is for the subwoofer out......
I don't want absolutely surround sound, i just don't want "flat spots" in the frequency of the sound...........i'm sorry if this is unclear.......:) thnx

Well, depending on your HU, you won't have an all powerful xover, but it will do the job quite well. I'm guessing you HPF can be set too 50, 80, 125 (standard for HUs, I think or roughly at least). Usually a setting around 80 or so will do the job, considering most subs will play well up until about 90-130Hz. But then again, I shouldn't be answering this question cause setting a cross over is all about the equipment you have and how you like your music. I set mine by ear, not by any kind of books. It will depend on what kind of front speakers you have, how much mid bass they can put out,.. where they roll off/get distorted.. etc. Same for the tweeters and the sub too!

It's not an easy task, but using the HU you have limited options, so I would say just try different combinations of things. But once you have/if you have a full system that is completly powered by external ams and such, I would seriously look into an external crossover if you want to really tune it. And beyond that are sound processors/eq's, and many other things. It's not an easy task to set it all up, but it can be fun too!

For now, everything is powered by the head unit except the sub and will remain like this until i get a good deal on a 4channel amp.
I have a question now, i have 3ways-6x9's in enclosed boxes on my rear deck, and was wondering if there would be a better configuration for better sound, get them out of the box, get regular speakers (6,5 5,25 etc.....) thnx:bigup:

I personally don't like rear speakers. But this goes for ANY speaker, no matter where the location is, 9 times out of 10, a round speaker will always be more detailed and precise then a 6x9 could ever be.

If you don't believe me, go look around at all the Hight End audio components, and tell me what you see. Thats right, they're all round, there is a reason (I don't know all the tech stuff to explain it, but I just believe it!).

But as for speakers in the rear, well, I don't like them. It takes away from the soundstage. And to me they are only useful in A/V setups with Dolby or Pro Logic sound. I like hearing my music as if I was at a concert, sitting in the front row. All the sound comes from in front of you!

Hummmmmmmm, i see your point:D
I'll see what i can do this afternoon, thnx for all the info, if there's anything, don't worry, i'll come back here:bigup:
thnx again bro:beer:

good luck, and one more thing I forgot. Without an external amp to your speakers, there's no real point in a big crossover. Just set the HPF to about 80 or 125, so that it doesn't get all the bass. This will relieve some of the distortion you may get at high volumes. Once you get a good set of speakers and an amp to power them, then start playing with the crossover more. It's just cause now, stock speakers/low powered speakers, can't put out enought bass so they'll distort too easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back