Anyone owns a smoker?

Matt_mg

I was thinking of getting a smoker, something like a weber smokey mountain or going full redneck and making a UDS:

weber_10.jpg

350x700px-LL-c23700c8_smoker1.jpeg

Since I like to tinker I might go with the second option...

Have 2 smokers, a weber smokey mountain 21 inch and an electric smoking tex. As you can probably guess, the electric smoker is much easier, set and forget but you can never match the flavor of the weber. I do ribs on the weber and pork butt on the electric. Pork butt smoked for 18 hours, never had to open the smoker once. Trick is the right amount of chunks not chips, not too much, and right at the beginning.
Let me know if you have any questions

Un smoker marche au charcoal. You can smoke meat on a regular bbq but keeping low temps is really hard

Un smoker marche au charcoal. You can smoke meat on a regular bbq but keeping low temps is really hard

I have over the years learned how to smoke on my Webber charcoal. It takes patience and a lot of beer. Choke fire , open vent , close beer repeat. I enjoy a good lazy Sunday doing that.

Have 2 smokers, a weber smokey mountain 21 inch and an electric smoking tex. As you can probably guess, the electric smoker is much easier, set and forget but you can never match the flavor of the weber. I do ribs on the weber and pork butt on the electric. Pork butt smoked for 18 hours, never had to open the smoker once. Trick is the right amount of chunks not chips, not too much, and right at the beginning.
Let me know if you have any questions

Pork butt on the electric because it takes a long time I guess ?

How long do ribs / chicken take?

J'ai acheté un Kamado Big Joe en fin de semaine. Les Ribs et le poulet sont débiles dessus. J'ai hate d'essayer du saumon fumé.

kamado_joe_charcoal_grill.jpg

Oui, il fait du "low temp" smoking, mais pas cold smoking, tu vas smoker autour de 200-225 deg ... Ce qui est correct, dépendant de ce que tu veux faire.

Avec ceci et un kamado je fais du cold smoking
http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

J'ai fais un saumon et ca fonctionne A1. C'est super versatile.
Je peux faire saisir un steak, fumer un pork butt pendant 14h ou faire cold smoker un fromage.

Je ne me sert plus de mon BBQ au gaz. J'ai acheté le Vision qui était au Costco et canadian tire.

^^ Nice!!! Pcq tant qu'à faire, le cold smoking c'est ce que tout "smoking head" fini par vouloir faire et tester plein de trucs!

Smoked cheese, omg... Ça se ferait de dipper les pelets dans de la bière noire?

Non parce que faut que les pellets soient sèches pour fonctionner avec ce bidules là sinon la combustion s'arrête tout de suite... j'ai aussi l'impression que les dipper pour ensuite les faire sécher ferait juste une bouette de brin de scie.

Pork butt on the electric because it takes a long time I guess ?

How long do ribs / chicken take?

Pork butt, I do on electric because it takes so long. I start it about 2 hours before I go to bed, make sure everything is ok, and let it run its course. It's about 1.5-2 hours a pound.
Ribs anywhere from 2-4 hours. Chicken I did once, was absolutely amazing but my wife didn't like it that much because it's very pink inside.
You do not get beautiful smoke rings with an electric smoker, there definitely are pros and cons to both.

J'ai un setup hotplate + contrôleur pid pour fumer à chaud et un truc comme le amps( proq) pour fumer à froid, fonctionne numéro 1! je prend des copeaux de bois que je passe au blender pour faire de la sciure de bois.
j'ai fumé à chaud sur le bbq avant et je vois pas une super grosse différence avec l'électrique, au moins la température est stable et controlable!

IMG_20170409_132931.jpg

J'ai bretté pendant 2 ans mais j'ai enfin fait mon fumoir!

Il y a 2 poulets dedans comme première expérience.

*edit du soir: 3h30 autour de 250*f pis les poulets sont bon en crisse.

Last edited:
Back