can you push start a car w/DSG.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camry90

i never driven one so i don't know. all cars with twin clutch are consider manual... even they don't have a clutch pedal, is there a way somehow to push start then?

I'm curious to know the answer as well.

Theoretically, at least, it should be possible. But my guess would be you would need enough electrical power to drive the transmission actuator (the push button, and whatever the push button activates, whether electric or hydraulic).

Something like: Select Neutral --> Push car --> Push button to select a gear --> Engine starts.

But I don't know if the electronic nannies allow you to do it, or even if you can manually select neutral at all!!!

Like I said, I'm very curious!

I dont think the car will let you shift into first if the car doesnt think its moving without having the break petal pressed, I may be wrong.... They dont let you destroy them so going from neutral to first without the brake.....dunno I'm curious too

I dont think the car will let you shift into first if the car doesnt think its moving without having the break petal pressed, I may be wrong.... They dont let you destroy them so going from neutral to first without the brake.....dunno I'm curious too

On my Passat (and all newer VW/Audi automatic transmissions), you had to push on the brake pedal to shift from Neutral to Drive, but you didn't have to push very hard, just depress the pedal half an inch and the gear selector lock would disengage.

But I dont think thats the problem. The DSG is still an automatic, so this question of "Push starting a DSG" is like asking can you Push start an automatic transmission? That's simply not possible.... or in other words "Not easy".

"Most vehicles with automatic transmissions cannot be started this way because the hydraulic torque converter in the transmission will not allow the engine to be driven by the wheels (some very old automatic transmissions, e.g., General Motors' two-speed Powerglide transmission, do leave a solid connection between the engine and wheels, and cars equipped with such transmissions can be push started)."

Jump start (vehicle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And...

"If you've got an automatic car, you can theoretically do this. Put the key to "on" and the gear selector in neutral. Get the car up to about 30 mph (hence why it's not easy!) and then flick it into "Drive". May or may not work."

Push Starting a Car@Everything2.com

Good Luck:bigup:

On my Passat (and all newer VW/Audi automatic transmissions), you had to push on the brake pedal to shift from Neutral to Drive, but you didn't have to push very hard, just depress the pedal half an inch and the gear selector lock would disengage.

But I dont think thats the problem. The DSG is still an automatic, so this question of "Push starting a DSG" is like asking can you Push start an automatic transmission? That's simply not possible.... or in other words "Not easy".

"Most vehicles with automatic transmissions cannot be started this way because the hydraulic torque converter in the transmission will not allow the engine to be driven by the wheels (some very old automatic transmissions, e.g., General Motors' two-speed Powerglide transmission, do leave a solid connection between the engine and wheels, and cars equipped with such transmissions can be push started)."

Well, thing is, there's no torque converter in a DSG, only clutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back