Consciousness: What is it? What's your take on it?

lord_galathon

This is going to be an open debate about human consciousness and what you think about it and how will it end?

Basically what happens after we die?

1) Do you believe in a higher religious type all seeing all powerful being that will gather up your consciousness after your death?

2) How about a multitude of consciousnesses or souls that would join or bind at death?

3) Aliens? That would go towards #2 choice wouldn't it? Also by definition any all powerful being that would gather up consciousness like in #1 would be considered an alien wouldn't it?

4) Energy evolution, once dead does our consciousness evolve into a higher being? Do we then become part of some other society maybe multi-dimensional in the sense that they can see us but we can't see them.

5) Parallel Universe, how about our souls go to a parallel Universe that's occupying the same physical space as ours but on a different plane of existence?

6) How about the Buddhist doctrine that roughly says that there MIGHT be a higher plane of existence where we'd be judged by the actions we've taken during our life... OR NOT! And that by leading a good life devoid of "badness" we can face our death with the peace of mind that regardless of what comes next we'll be remembered as good people?

Is that incentive enough to lead a good solid life?

Are there other options?

7) What if we're just "meat" and when we die our consciousness just disappears as our brain is erased?

Would you then consider it scary or comforting that we'd only live on in the memories of the people we leave behind?

What if that's our TRUE legacy? What if all that's really left of us once we leave are a pack of ashes in an old coffee tin and photos and memories in our children and siblings?

Full SRS.

Inb4memes

Quand on meurt, on devient de l'engrais... that's it.

Bingo, I would really like to believe one of the better scenarios, but we're just biological machines, sentimets are chimical reactions, etc... etc... it sucks but it is what it is. Being brainwashed by society, I do have a hard time believing that 100% and hoping it's more out there...

We are lil batteries, like in the Matrix.

That was a great movie but it has so many plot holes that if you start looking at it there is no more movie.

-Why use humans? Why not lower animals? There would be no need for a simulated universe if you're using bears or raccoons for batteries...

-If all we were is batteries then why not just use solar power and exterminate us all?

Plot holes.

About the Vsauce video, it's a nice beginning and I really was interested when he split the brain in half but then it faded into nothing tangible. The leanback is even worse since half the videos in the playlist have been removed or made private.

It would be a nice experiment to see if a brain transplant the consciousness follows the brain or what.

All you had to do was ask... Close enough anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/russian-man-to-undergo-worlds-first-full-head-transplant/

As for Matrix. Meh, all movies have gigantic plot holes now. I stopped thinking about those when I watch a movie. I just want to be entertained for a couple hours.

That is PHENOMENAL but it would also be terrible because on the one hand it is a great feat if they can achieve it.

On the other hand what's to prevent someone with lots of money from purchasing a LIVE "donor" body as he/she gets old and swapping it out?

Then what do we do with great minds like Steven Hawking who have a brain stuck in a moribond body and who frankly, could go any day with a simple pneumonia or common cold?

Where do we draw the line?

I'll watch that "experiment" closely though as it intrigues me greatly.

That was a great movie but it has so many plot holes that if you start looking at it there is no more movie.

-Why use humans? Why not lower animals? There would be no need for a simulated universe if you're using bears or raccoons for batteries...

-If all we were is batteries then why not just use solar power and exterminate us all?

Plot holes.

About the Vsauce video, it's a nice beginning and I really was interested when he split the brain in half but then it faded into nothing tangible. The leanback is even worse since half the videos in the playlist have been removed or made private.

It would be a nice experiment to see if a brain transplant the consciousness follows the brain or what.

here is another nice video for you! the part youre lookin for start at 3:40

Back