Hey MR, need your thoughts.

Gothmog3VZ

Having a warranty disagreement with a (for now unnamed) Hyundai dealership. Car went in for its scheduled service; all is good save for a suspension top-mount up front. Car is outside of factory warranty, but has an extended warranty from Hyundai corporate (not dealership) which still has a bit over 50k km.

Now, here's the text from my copy of the extended warranty, received upon purchase in 2010:
88886b92a9f8a88d0b2a9924a55f5b03.jpg

It's supposed to cover "Macpherson Strut, strut rod, & bushings", which ought to include the top-mount (seeing as it's what keeps the assembly together) based on my knowledge/experience... Dealer wants to charge for out-of-warranty work.

Now, I'm suspicious for a few reasons (potential bias); they first claimed that the car had no warranty whatsoever. Then when pushed, they came back and said "ok, you have an extended warranty, but it doesn't cover this part or repair". Car has only ever been serviced by them, FYI, and they have replaced the front struts this spring (edited for clarification).

This same dealership also didn't honor their side of the contract on my girlfriend's lease (regarding tire storage, car leased last fall) and have consistently provided poor service to her (which I'm disclosing as a potential bias on my part).

Does MR think that the dealership is trying to squeeze some extra money out of a customer for work that should be covered by a warranty? Or am I being unreasonable about this?

Sent from the 80's via 4A-GZE

Last edited:
That's horrible. It's not enough that a 8-10 month old car needs new struts and now a top plate but they don't even want to cover it?

But why is the car outside of the regular warranty if it was leased last fall? Hyundai has a 100K km/5year warranty bumper to bumper.

That's horrible. It's not enough that a 8-10 month old car needs new struts and now a top plate but they don't even want to cover it?

But why is the car outside of the regular warranty if it was leased last fall? Hyundai has a 100K km/5year warranty bumper to bumper.

His car is a 2010, the car leased last fall is his girlfriend from what I gather.

Read way too fast lol

From my experience it's not always obvious that there's an extended warranty.
From my point of view and understanding the top plate wouldn't be covered.
When I pull up a diagram I have every single part of the suspension separate. Thus meaning top plate isn't a part of the strut, and the warranty doesn't say anything about top plate.

Yes, we know it's a part of the suspension and they wear.
As somebody who currently works as a service advisor and a parts clerk I'd say that in my objective opinion you aren't covered.

PS: usually when customers come in with an attitude I want to help them less. Don't be a pussy but don't be a dick. Probably the best way to know 100% is call corporate

Call Hyundai Canada and ask them the question about the top mount.

That's a good idea! Had thought of calling other dealerships to compare, didn't think to contact corporate!

Two separate cars. The one with suspension issue is my dad's which was purchased in 2010. I never dealt too much with service people regarding it other than occasionally dropping off for him, but things were generally good.

Girlfriend's lease is when I started interacting with them more, and hearing from her about some of the really poor service - not sure if they took advantage of her being a girl and first time at buyer, but I mentioned it as I wanted to disclose any potential bias.

Read way too fast lol

From my experience it's not always obvious that there's an extended warranty.
From my point of view and understanding the top plate wouldn't be covered.
When I pull up a diagram I have every single part of the suspension separate. Thus meaning top plate isn't a part of the strut, and the warranty doesn't say anything about top plate.

Yes, we know it's a part of the suspension and they wear.
As somebody who currently works as a service advisor and a parts clerk I'd say that in my objective opinion you aren't covered.

PS: usually when customers come in with an attitude I want to help them less. Don't be a pussy but don't be a dick. Probably the best way to know 100% is call corporate

I spoke with them when dropping off the car and my dad discussed on the phone with service department regarding warranty. Neither one of us was giving attitude, but we weren't pushovers either.

I do appreciate your taking time to answer the post with your thoughts as a service advisor, greatly appreciated. As you and a few others recommended, will be reaching out to Hyundai Canada to confirm the full scope of the warranty!

Two separate cars. The one with suspension issue is my dad's which was purchased in 2010. I never dealt too much with service people regarding it other than occasionally dropping off for him, but things were generally good.

Girlfriend's lease is when I started interacting with them more, and hearing from her about some of the really poor service - not sure if they took advantage of her being a girl and first time at buyer, but I mentioned it as I wanted to disclose any potential bias.

Lol, I read too fast, thought it was the same car.

Sucky that the top plate went out just after the manufacturer warranty expired. It's stupid that a bumper to bumper extended warranty would not cover a top plate.....but that's the bs with extended warranties. When you buy them the F&i assures you you'll be covered for everything except brakes and filters and given a car has 98912382131831083 different pars for sure they won't list all of them in the contract.....but when time comes to use the warranty they shove the contract in your face and just because that specific part is not listed there, well, it's not covered.

On another note, you shouldn't of let your GF lease a new Hyundai, especially after your dad had suspension problems.

Lol, I read too fast, thought it was the same car.

Sucky that the top plate went out just after the manufacturer warranty expired. It's stupid that a bumper to bumper extended warranty would not cover a top plate.....but that's the bs with extended warranties. When you buy them the F&i assures you you'll be covered for everything except brakes and filters and given a car has 98912382131831083 different pars for sure they won't list all of them in the contract.....but when time comes to use the warranty they shove the contract in your face and just because that specific part is not listed there, well, it's not covered.

On another note, you shouldn't of let your GF lease a new Hyundai, especially after your dad had suspension problems.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way. I pushed for a BRZ, but she didn't want the higher payments until she lands a solid eng. position. Fortunately made sure hers is under full standard warranty for lease duration, but she's set on either FRS/BRZ, Celica, or older (C5) Vette if we find a good one once the lease ends.

Warranty covers bushings. Unless I am mistaken, on most cars the top plate is a bushing based unit and therefor SHOULD be covered. The only thing that shouldn't be covered on the strut assembly is the spring itself.

Back