Prelude guru in here

Ronin

Legacy Member
I'm trying to help my bro with his car. He owns a 5th gen 2000 Canadian Prelude SH with a, now blown, H22A4 engine. That model came with an ATTS system. He really like his car and is looking into replacing/repairing the engine. It was drinking a pint of oil a week or two for 2-3 years before finally crapping out.

Sourcing a new similar engine for his car appears to be problematic and not cheap as they are relatively rare and you can't just put any H series engine in this model and call it a quit, as you could on other Honda models, without having to replace a bunch of other stuff having to do with remote things like ABS system and steering pump.

I'm looking for options. Keep in mind that he is not performance orientated and that having no VTEC (aka H23) or ATTS gizmo probably won't affect him.

So, what fits? Considering his existing transmission, exhaust...

I've started looking into an engine rebuild but even that seems a little on the pricey side. He was also told but a not so trust worthy mechanic that his engine (300 000km) was fudged beyond rebuild even though it'S not windowed or anything. It might have knock for a while though.

I've already given a few garage a call (some I have to say, have been pretty straight to the point and I like that) but I don't like making honest mechanic waste their time, so I'll waste yours instead ;)

Last edited:
You can just transfer over the needed SH parts from the old engine onto the non-SH engine. From what i recall all you need is the oil filter bracket so it mounts differently and maybe some other small stuff.

I could be wrong tho. I've never dealed w/ a SH in person

If you have ATTS, you need to replace the motor with yet another H22 that had ATTS if you want to retain your transmission.

If you want to dump everything to the curb, then you'll need complete swap with engine and transmission.

I hope this helps.

If you have ATTS, you need to replace the motor with yet another H22 that had ATTS if you want to retain your transmission.

If you want to dump everything to the curb, then you'll need complete swap with engine and transmission.

I hope this helps.

That is what I fear. Other then engine and transmission, would I need the ECU, harness and what else?

I'll keep looking for info on down gradding do a H23 non-VTEC but I found a wealth of information about how to swap a JDM H22a A4 with ATTS here:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340080

Fucked, just realized that the 2000 Prelude were never built here or in US with anything other then a H22a4.

Last edited:
call steve at kns autosport, he has 3 h22 blocks at his place, and I will be towing my 98 prelude there for him to part out (I too blew my engine and just leased a car instead of repairing it)

call steve at kns autosport, he has 3 h22 blocks at his place, and I will be towing my 98 prelude there for him to part out (I too blew my engine and just leased a car instead of repairing it)

I actually discussed it with him a bit by PM. It's a garage I recommended to my bro but he is one stubborn youngster and seems to wanna deal with a local to his place shop.

4frnt_or_die said:
H22s can be found at JDM shops.

They are not that easily available and not cheap either. Remember that I don't want my brother to get hosed in a year when they implement the inspections. I'd really prefer if he didn't drop an engine older then the body in the car...

Might be easier in the end to find a replacement ATTS engine somewhere, or sell the car as is, if cost efficiency is key.

There's this person i know his name is joe and know alot about that TYPE SH cauz he had a situation with a client like you. Client refused to buy an ATTS engine and noticed that it was not fitting. The best would be to get a full swap SH all together cauz i heard that parting out the engine from that tranny and the ATTS box is a big pain in the ass and that you need some weird special tools...
Last time i went to his shop (jdm advance motors) he had one in stock, but that was like 9 months ago....
Give him a call he will tell u..

there is a domestic non sh motor in brossard, I found,

would installing this motor and installing 2 new drive shafts work???

Fait juste faire un rebuild.

C'est pas si compliqué et au moins t'auras pas besoin de trouver un moteur de Type-SH

Je suis 100% certain que le moteur n'est pas trop magané pour être rebuildé, à moins qu'une rod soit sortie en avant du bloc.

Je suis 100% certain que le moteur n'est pas trop magané pour être rebuildé, à moins qu'une rod soit sortie en avant du bloc.

Je suis d'accord. J'ai lus/entendu trop de commentaires de monde qui se sont cassé les dents avec le système ATTS. Il peut être désactivé en cas de problème avec celui-ci mais vraiment pas facilement remplacé.

D'ailleurs j'arrive pas à comprendre comment Honda a pût arriver à la conclusion que c'était une bonne idée VS un vrai LSD...

Je suis d'accord. J'ai lus/entendu trop de commentaires de monde qui se sont cassé les dents avec le système ATTS. Il peut être désactivé en cas de problème avec celui-ci mais vraiment pas facilement remplacé.

D'ailleurs j'arrive pas à comprendre comment Honda a pût arriver à la conclusion que c'était une bonne idée VS un vrai LSD...

Le systeme de torque transfer de honda est tres bon mais tres fragile aussi ! Maintenant, apprécion le sur les TL SH-AWD :p

tear it down and send it out to be rebuilt at a machine shop. factory bare shortblock 6300$ btw.

Back