RCMP now carry MP5s on parliament hill

Increased security is fine. What I'm worried about is a bunch of officers firing fully automatic rifles in a confined, crowded space like parliament hill and inside the parliament if something happens. A police officers accuracy with a semi automatic hand gun is already under 20%, imagine the collateral damage they'll induce if there's another attack?

Sometimes less is more. There are a lot of factors at play here.

Edit: does anyone know if their mp5s are full auto? I know their AR based carbine is not. It's semi and burst only which would also make sense for the mp5s and would mitigate the collateral damage risk.

Last edited:
Too little security - shit happens; people complain.
Too much security - nothing happens; people complain it's killing their yoga vibe.
See a trend?

Give it another couple months and the focus will change from "oh my, what a tragedy" to "holy shit, this is getting expensive, let's cut it back some and hope people don't notice"

There ain't much if any "new money" spent on this as far as I can tell. This is simply shifting ressources from criminal investigations to hill security (and anything terror related) . Robbing peter to pay paul is not sustainable in the long run. There's no way this is going to expand beyond parliament hill as there's no money, no ressources and above all else, no need to.

This is how we slowly transform into a police state. One day, before too long armed police will be on every street corner and no one will blink an eye. And that, my friends...is not a free country.

I used to be intensely proud to call myself Canadian. This sense of pride began to dissipate slowly sometime around Feb 6, 2006.

The rest of the world used to like us too. Now? Not so much.

I can't tell if you're delusional or simply melodramatic.

Besides, "percentage of foreigners liking us" sounds like a really shitty benchmark to draft any policy by, let alone run a country.

mp3 have version with only single fire mode and burst mode.
and it still the same 9mm caliber of a hand gun.

mp3 have version with only single fire mode and burst mode.
and it still the same 9mm caliber of a hand gun.

Yes, theirs has a selective fire switch and I can't really think of a reason it would be set on auto.
Overpenetration isn't as much of a concern with 9mm rounds (vs a 5.56 C8)

The fact remains that despite the aggresive appearance and higher ammo capacity a shoulder fired mp5 is a lot easier to accurately fire at just about any range than a pistol, especially when stress is cranked all the way up to 11. Pistol marksmanship isn't as easy as what the movies would have you believe.

Increased security is fine. What I'm worried about is a bunch of officers firing fully automatic rifles in a confined, crowded space like parliament hill and inside the parliament if something happens. A police officers accuracy with a semi automatic hand gun is already under 20%, imagine the collateral damage they'll induce if there's another attack?

Sometimes less is more. There are a lot of factors at play here.

Edit: does anyone know if their mp5s are full auto? I know their AR based carbine is not. It's semi and burst only which would also make sense for the mp5s and would mitigate the collateral damage risk.

I read somewhere they are semi only but I can't find sauce.

I much rather see police officers with a 9mm MP5 instead of a bigger military grade 5.56 carbine. Police isn't supposed to be a para-military group and since they already had the MP5 (during the shootout you could see RCMP with MP5's everywhere), I don't see how this would greatly cost more when you're actually simply using the equipment available.

Yes, theirs has a selective fire switch and I can't really think of a reason it would be set on auto.
Overpenetration isn't as much of a concern with 9mm rounds (vs a 5.56 C8)

The fact remains that despite the aggresive appearance and higher ammo capacity a shoulder fired mp5 is a lot easier to accurately fire at just about any range than a pistol, especially when stress is cranked all the way up to 11. Pistol marksmanship isn't as easy as what the movies would have you believe.

I agree a automatic pistol like the mp5 is really accurate.

overall it is a well made firewarm adopted by almost every police in the world.

I trust more some one shooting a mp5 than any other pistol

Ca va leur prendre plus que des MP5, à voir comment la moitié des 60 policiers qui ont tiré la dernière fois n'ont aucunement touché la cible :bigup:

Pis en plus, il a couru en avant de 3-4 voitures de la GRC qui n'ont rien fait pour l'arréter. Pas sur ce qu'un MP5 aurait changé dans leur incompétence, le problème est plutot là selon moi. Mais un MP5 c'est plus shiny et tu vas chercher les votes redneck en plus...

Back