Reliability lancer evolution gsr 2008

feedmecarrots

I'm thinking about buying a 2008 evo with 80,000k and a manual transmission

Can you guys let me know what to look out for?
What kinda problems to expect?

Any information would be appreciated

thx

Overboosting, boost leaks, oil leaking esp around the turbo seals

It's a turbo car and at 80k you're pretty much at the half life of a turbo.

Overboosting, boost leaks, oil leaking esp around the turbo seals

It's a turbo car and at 80k you're pretty much at the half life of a turbo.

80k is a bit old, whats the price?

All the above problems do not happen with good tuning and proper maintenance. If you plan to modify it , pay the extra $ and go to ivey in new jersey. I was tuned by hbspeed and i have 0 overboosting issues, even in -20 degree weather.

They are asking $27,000.. is that a good price?

God no, that is not a good price. People buy a car like that to drive it hard, so you're probably not getting a car that was babied for 80k. Even if the car was well maintained during that time, I wouldn't even think about paying much more then $20,000 for it. But that's just me. If the car is clean, not leaking any fluids, passes a compression test and thorough inspection, it is worth whatever you will pay for it.

God no, that is not a good price. People buy a car like that to drive it hard, so you're probably not getting a car that was babied for 80k. Even if the car was well maintained during that time, I wouldn't even think about paying much more then $20,000 for it. But that's just me. If the car is clean, not leaking any fluids, passes a compression test and thorough inspection, it is worth whatever you will pay for it.

True, but the 4B11T is a very tough engine, i have a friend with 450 awhp and fpred turbo. His car is abused on a daily basis, tracked, rallied year round, it has 110 000 kilometers, and the car still runs like new, prefect compression in all cylinders, no issues.

True, but the 4B11T is a very tough engine, i have a friend with 450 awhp and fpred turbo. His car is abused on a daily basis, tracked, rallied year round, it has 110 000 kilometers, and the car still runs like new, prefect compression in all cylinders, no issues.

08 should be an Evo IX, so it will still have the 4G63, which is a beast of an engine and very durable when properly maintained. But it still doesn't draw from the fact that you are buying a car that was likely beaten on for the better part of 4 years and 80k by someone that you don't know and probably shouldn't trust based on their word. My advice is get the entire car looked over verrrrrry well, and see if you can get a service history. Since the car is coming from the states likely, 80000km is around ~50000 miles, I have seen 07s with similar mileage going for 22-23000, so even with the extra year, unless this car still smells like new, I think that price is on the high end.

I stopped reading at 08 should be an evo 9, sorry but you lost your credibility there.

I stopped reading at 08 should be an evo 9, sorry but you lost your credibility there.

My bad, didn't realize Evo X started at 09 model year. Sue me?

And 07 evos don't exist

Oh so 07 Evo's don't exist? And yet you say I have no credibility in talking about this subject? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That being said, regardless of the model year, I still stand by my opinion on this that you are looking at a car that has been driven 80k by someone you don't know, and unless the car is clean as hell inside and out and comes with a complete service history, I wouldn't even think about it at that price. But that's just me, I'm of the opinion that if you are willing to put down nearly 30 grand for a used car you can up the bounty and get a brand new one.

Good luck with the purchase *tu*

My bad, didn't realize Evo X started at 09 model year. Sue me?

Oh so 07 Evo's don't exist? And yet you say I have no credibility in talking about this subject? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That being said, regardless of the model year, I still stand by my opinion on this that you are looking at a car that has been driven 80k by someone you don't know, and unless the car is clean as hell inside and out and comes with a complete service history, I wouldn't even think about it at that price. But that's just me, I'm of the opinion that if you are willing to put down nearly 30 grand for a used car you can up the bounty and get a brand new one.

Good luck with the purchase *tu*

The part about the 07 was a joke, saying they don't exist meaning they are rare and hard to find. And the evolution x started in 08 model year.

Back