Remove McGard Locks

YPH

I don't see any recent post so here it is!

I'm looking for a place that can help undo the McGard wheel lock nuts. The original key broke and so did the replacement. Before I break any ties with McGard I just need to get all the 4 nuts off the car.

Everywhere I go claim they could use a "machine" that would ruin the wheels. I don't want that. I saw some lug-out kit but I don't know where to find them.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. The wheels looks like:

http://www.tastyautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/car-photo-2008-subaru-wrx-sti-wr-blue-pearl-passenger-rear-gold-bbs-wheel-close-up.jpg

Thanks,

The ''machine'' they a re gonna use is a zip gun, and yes you have chances of doing chips on the mag this way. If you get picture of the lock design i might be able to hook you up with an original one, let me know.

order an original replacement.

Tighten all your other bolts a bit more, and unbolt your mcgard, and then unbolt everything else.

Mine broke too once and I did it using a 12 point socket, just get a size that's smaller than the locknut hammer it on and use a strong even pressure to loosen it if you jerk hard or use a gun it can break the hold that the socket has, it's pretty easy I never damaged any of the wheels even the socket was fine after I took out the nuts.

The original broke, I ordered a replacement, it came Friday, and it broke again first try. Can't describe my disappointment.

I will take pics tomorrow but I'm interested in just breaking the nut (safe on the wheel method) with some special sockets and get it over with. And I'm not sure about the hammer a smaller size socket because I don't have a vice grip to take it back out after..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The original broke, I ordered a replacement, it came Friday, and it broke again first try. Can't describe my disappointment.

I will take pics tomorrow but I'm interested in just breaking the nut (safe on the wheel method) with some special sockets and get it over with. And I'm not sure about the hammer a smaller size socket because I don't have a vice grip to take it back out after..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Were the wheels hot or cold when you tried to remove it? Hot wheels will expand and put even more pressure on your lug nuts, making it even more difficult to remove.

Do it when the wheel is ambient temperature, tighten all the other nuts a bit more and remove the mcguard.

Go get a set of vicegrips.... Everyone needs a minimum of 1 in their house......
And you can do it with a screwdriver and hammer through the other end of the socket.

By vice grip I meant the big one you nailed it on the edge of a workshop table heh, I am not prepared for that!

As a matter of fact I've been using the same set of McGard for 5 years now and it was dealer installed, so it should take into consideration the factory spec torque setting. The original key's inside pattern were just sheared off, like I took out the key from the nut and the pattern was stuck in the lock nut. I thought to myself that due to age and blabla it's acceptable. The replacement, on the other hand, just completely crumbled upon my first crank.

Just exchanged calls and emails with their customer service and I am supposed to get one in the mail by next Tuesday. I am still looking for experienced shop to just break it out until then as I am not looking forward to receiving the new one :)

all 4 can be removed in less then 10 mins with the right tool and 0 damage to the wheel, any shop that will use a "zip gun" should be shot

Box 13/16 12 pans rentré au marteau, ça a déjà marché pour moi. Ou si tu as de la place, tu peux essayer le bout fermé d'une clé 13/16

box 12 pan serieux ca marche rentrer au marteau
ca te prend la marque GRAY 21MM MT21
sont ben mince i fitte tout le temps

ca va te prendre 2 sec

apres efface donc la discussion pour pas donner le truc au voleur

thanks

Steve helped me to get them off last Friday. There was just one that didn't want to give up! Anyways I saw the process and there is not more reason to use them anymore...

Back