The last days of Target Canada

I read that a couple days ago and I cannot believe that a company was set up so poorly; I have no idea how the expected to succeed with all there software issues.

The data entered in their products used imperial, had they used metric, like the rest of the damn planet, they would've saved most of the problems they encountered in their SAP program.

GET RID OF IMPERIAL ALREADY

Saw this a few days ago too. Super interesting read. I found it very interesting that Target US was willing to abandon their custom software to run what their canadian subsidiary was going to run. Years of software experience down the drain.

So many bad decisions one after the other it's crazy. This lands squarely on people not seeing the bigger picture and instead forcing themselves to meet arbitrary deadlines caused by the awful real estate deal.

Oh and... I guess they learnt what many others have before them. SAP will make you its bitch. SAP makes everyone its bitch.

Bonne lecture, les études de cas sont toujours bien pour faire un lien avec la théorie (je suis maintenant étudiant au HEC)

They fail to heed the first rule of computer data processing:

Garbage in, garbage out.

Another lesson that went awry: sure, the impetuousness of youth is essential, but keeping a few gray heads around can be of tremendous benefit...

Why do people keep using SAP and the herd of consultants at implement it? Every time i hear companies speaking about SAP, they complain about the massive black hole of resources this thing was during implementation and interconnectivity issues with other systems? Consultants (among others, Accenture) also seem to be very quick to say they're doing this so successfully.

Why do people keep using SAP and the herd of consultants at implement it? Every time i hear companies speaking about SAP, they complain about the massive black hole of resources this thing was during implementation and interconnectivity issues with other systems? Consultants (among others, Accenture) also seem to be very quick to say they're doing this so successfully.

Cause SAP consultant = 200$/h :bigup:

One thing that amazes me is that despite making Target lose Billions, the guy in charge still got a 63 million severance package.

They fail to heed the first rule of computer data processing:

Garbage in, garbage out.

Another lesson that went awry: sure, the impetuousness of youth is essential, but keeping a few gray heads around can be of tremendous benefit...

X2.

SAP est très solide pour tout ce qui est big DATA, mais il est tellement sévère, que si tu prends pas soin d'être sur que tes données soient correct, tu cours après le trouble et pas à peu près.

Et pour ceux qui disent que SAP est la pire chose qu'il y a sur terre, j'ai 1 mot pour vous : Oracle

That's what happens when you hire morons with a degree who have never worked in retail in their life. They can't do anythuing if their software doesn't think for them.

One thing that amazes me is that despite making Target lose Billions, the guy in charge still got a 63 million severance package.

severance packages are usually negotiated at hire / contract renewal. Not at resignation / termination. So this was negotiated while things were going really well for Target

severance packages are usually negotiated at hire / contract renewal. Not at resignation / termination. So this was negotiated while things were going really well for Target

They're dumb for not including a clause that covers multi-billion losses caused by gross incompetence.

Back