First bmw need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

I have a 1986 325e, its got about 175 000 km on it. I dont know too much about the car, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on maintenance and modifications, such as rims and sterio system.
The brakes are not very sensitive either... :dunno: *banghead*

Maintenance involves rims and stereo system?

Any interest in actual performance modifactions? or just more things to weigh you down?

I'm surprised Volksdubber hasn't come in the thread yet and offer you one of his deals on modifications.

buy a chip, best upgrade, easy to make
if you want rims i got a set of 14 inch bmw
for pieces i have many for bmw cars, e30 and e36

Before doing any hop-up, I would make sure the car is in good shape. Bad brakes is bad. Make sure they are in tip-top shape. Check the pads (make sure you have the proper compound with your kind of driving, check if the pistons move freely, check if the rubber lines are in good shape (replace with braided lines for better feel), bleed the system. When this is done, then you can add a Jim Conforti chip that will give around 20 extra ponies.

Asmodeus said:
I'm surprised Volksdubber hasn't come in the thread yet and offer you one of his deals on modifications.
How much will Volksdubber's modifications, cost me?

Lee said:
Before doing any hop-up, I would make sure the car is in good shape. Bad brakes is bad. Make sure they are in tip-top shape. Check the pads (make sure you have the proper compound with your kind of driving, check if the pistons move freely, check if the rubber lines are in good shape (replace with braided lines for better feel), bleed the system. When this is done, then you can add a Jim Conforti chip that will give around 20 extra ponies.
How much would it cost me to check the pistons, rubber lines and to replace the braided line?? Any garage in peticular i should go to for this? :eek: thanks

Killer said:
How much would it cost me to check the pistons, rubber lines and to replace the braided line?? Any garage in peticular i should go to for this? :eek: thanks

Checking the brakes' condition is part of a regular (at least) yearly maintenance inspection. So, any mechanic who works properly shall be able to verify it. If the rubber brake lines are worn out, then stock rubber lines should be ordered, or stainless steel braided lines, for a firmer pedal. Brake fluid should be changed every year as it absorbs moisture, which will rust the metal lines and turn into vapors when used hard. Vapor in your brake system means a very spongie pedal. So, removing trapped bubbles and moisture is very important.

seems work is to be done before thinking of upgrading anything! if your calipers are "ceased" it's the moment to upgrade for ATE ones (if I remember correctly), which are more powerful than the stock ones you probably have (used on later E30 generations)
Then a conforti chip is a must-have if you don't want to spend too much.

Lee said:
Checking the brakes' condition is part of a regular (at least) yearly maintenance inspection. So, any mechanic who works properly shall be able to verify it. If the rubber brake lines are worn out, then stock rubber lines should be ordered, or stainless steel braided lines, for a firmer pedal. Brake fluid should be changed every year as it absorbs moisture, which will rust the metal lines and turn into vapors when used hard. Vapor in your brake system means a very spongie pedal. So, removing trapped bubbles and moisture is very important.
Thanks for the info, im gonna order some stainless steel braided lines... :bigup:

Asmodeus said:

Give me a few minutes! :bigup:

Hey I work for the BMW community! :thefinger

:laugh:

Volksdubber said:
$1,000,000 more or less! :bigup:

Sorry no sound systems here! :(

You are dealing with Euro cars, don't be a p*ssy. Charge them in Euro not $ ;)

He means 1,000,000E, not $1,000,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back