Japanese Soldier Surrenders 29 Years After the End of World War II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though he had killed some thirty Philippine inhabitants of the island and engaged in several shootouts with the police, the circumstances of these events were taken into consideration, and Onoda received a pardon from President Ferdinand Marcos

That is a hell of a lot less cool. I'm sure those Philipino families were just thrilled that their loved ones were killed by a living artefact.

But that dude redefines "tenacious".

talk about a warrior spirit, that is truly bad ass.. an american would've probably done the same but only instead of 29 years, he would've surrendered in 29 hours

walkie talkies ran out of juice?
Superior never got a chance to tell him its over?

No such thing as walkie-talkies in WW2. At least, not in modern sense of the word and not in widespread use. For platoon and squad level communications, the japanese used runners. (http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/japanese-warfare/communications.html)

Hell, the transistors were only really used after WW2, so all radios (including portable) used vacuum tubes. Not reliable, even in the best cases...

am I the only one who thinks this guy is RETARDED? how could he possibly think the war was till going on???

far from it.. it was a completely different time and im jsut assuming here but i guess if you disobeyed an order from a superior, you were delt with swiftly so i guess he was trained to obey under all circumstances and well when it was over, he never got the word to stop and since he continued in gun fights, might have made him think it was still going on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back