News: Anyone heard? VOLVO GOT SOLD TO CHINA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaldragon

I saw something on the news about this.. anyone else heard?

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/03/29/china-volvo.html

Zhejiang Geely Holding Group has signed a binding deal to buy Ford Motor Co.'s Volvo Cars unit for US$1.8 billion US, representing a coup for the independent Chinese automaker, which is aiming to expand in Europe.
The purchase gives Geely a European luxury car brand with a reputation for safety and quality at a time when China, which last year surpassed the U.S. as the world's largest car market, is eager to improve its competitiveness by acquiring foreign automotive brands that might help it improve its technology and expand into overseas markets.
The price, which includes a $200-million note with the remainder to be paid out in cash, is far less than the $6.45 billion Ford paid for the Swedish automaker in 1999. The U.S. automaker has been trying to sell Volvo since late 2008 to focus its resources on managing its core Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands.

Geely said it aims to keep Volvo's existing manufacturing facilities in Sweden and Belgium, but that it also will explore manufacturing opportunities in China. Volvo Cars will remain separate from Geely's other operations, with its own Sweden-based management team and a new board of directors, the company said.

"China, the largest car market in the world, will become Volvo's second home market. Volvo will be uniquely positioned as a world-leading premium brand, tapping into the opportunities in the fast-growing China market," Li said.
As Western automakers unload unprofitable assets, they are finding keen buyers in Asia.
In 2008, Ford sold its Jaguar and Land Rover brands to India's Tata Motors Ltd. for $1.7 billion, a third of what it paid for them

Its been in the works for 2 years, today was the official hand over from Ford to Geely !

The world is changing by the minute, tomorrow the American flag comes down from Volvo headquarters.

13228117_21n.jpg

Sh!t, ca ne peu qu'être negatif pour la marque ca.

Volvo n'a jamais été réputé très fiable, geely va pas l'empirer je crois ils sont conscients qu'ils doivent faire du fiable. C'est essentiellement l'actionnaire qui change, et s'ils peuvent avoir une meilleure gestion et couper les couts sans couper la qualité (mais bon meme toyota coupe dans la qualité, où va le monde) why not.
Ford n'a pas tellement fait pour relever la marque, c'est juste depuis 2 ans qu'ils se relèvent vraiment eux meme, et leurs modèles ne sont pas peu chers, et la fiabilité à déterminer.

my neighboor has like 5 of them and my mom was baout to get one and my dad had one, these cars are build like bullet proof, very reliable... hope this was a smart move...

in the past 5 years, besides oil changes, brakes and tires, my dad put about 600$ worth of repairs. It's an S70, but unsure which 90's year it is. Pieces are $%!%^ expensive, but they don't break down.

C'est simple, Geely vient de se sauver des années en recherche et développement. La qualité de leurs voitures devrait s'améliorer s'il dirigent bien ça.

Volvo n'a jamais été réputé très fiable, geely va pas l'empirer je crois ils sont conscients qu'ils doivent faire du fiable. C'est essentiellement l'actionnaire qui change, et s'ils peuvent avoir une meilleure gestion et couper les couts sans couper la qualité (mais bon meme toyota coupe dans la qualité, où va le monde) why not.
Ford n'a pas tellement fait pour relever la marque, c'est juste depuis 2 ans qu'ils se relèvent vraiment eux meme, et leurs modèles ne sont pas peu chers, et la fiabilité à déterminer.

C'est probablement une joke ? commen parler pour rien dire. Je né jamais rien eu d'aussi fiable qu'une volvo , avec un entretien normal on dépasse facilement la barre des 400 000 kilo ... fais un ptit tour lespac ou d'autre site de voiture a vendre, tu va voir que bcp de volvo se vendre meme avec 450 000 kilo. Les 5cylindre son bulletproof ... impossible de passer au travers.

C'est probablement une joke ? commen parler pour rien dire. Je né jamais rien eu d'aussi fiable qu'une volvo , avec un entretien normal on dépasse facilement la barre des 400 000 kilo ... fais un ptit tour lespac ou d'autre site de voiture a vendre, tu va voir que bcp de volvo se vendre meme avec 450 000 kilo. Les 5cylindre son bulletproof ... impossible de passer au travers.

quote for truth!

With all the above comments, Broody, I think you know nothing about cars. It reminded me of the thread where you arguing your MR2 was the best :p

mon oncle a un volvo cross country avec 350 000km pis il roule a chq jour....les pieces sont chere mais ils sont vraiment fiable

With all the above comments, Broody, I think you know nothing about cars. It reminded me of the thread where you arguing your MR2 was the best :p

MR2 isn't the best, but better than a 15 seconds flat civic.
And volvo maybe they are reliable but if you must pay twice the price when it's broken, it's not a great deal. I'll stay with 90's toyota, reliable and cheap to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back