Quebec unveils proposed language law

Sandro_Bit

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/...50&jsdisabled=false&polluid=63411094302&q1=c2

The Quebec government has introduced legislation that would toughen the province's language laws, in response to a Supreme Court of Canada ruling last year.

But the Opposition Parti Québécois is attempting to block the formal tabling of Bill 103 with procedural wrangling.

Bill 103 sets out new rules for admissibility to English public schools in the province, and includes penalties to deter parents from using private institutions to qualify their children for enrolment in the public education system.

It is Quebec's latest legal attempt to legislate who can attend English-language schools in the province.

Quebec's previous language education law, Bill 104, was adopted in 2002 under heavy criticism because it closed a prior legal loophole once used by those without English education eligibility who wanted English schooling for their children.

Under Bill 104, Quebecers could no longer earn eligibility for their children through private schools, which angered a small group of parents that challenged the law all the way to the Supreme Court.

The highest court ruled last fall that Bill 104 is unconstitutional and "excessive," in a decision hailed as a major victory for English rights in Quebec.

On Wednesday, Quebec Culture Minister Christine St-Pierre introduced her government's legal response to the SCOC ruling to great protest at the national assembly.

Bill 103 also proposes tougher penalties for a wide range of infractions against Quebec's French language charter, and amends Quebec's charter of human rights to include the notion of the "primacy" of the French language.

Quebec's strict language laws require the majority of children in public schools to attend French-language institutions unless they meet a long list of criteria, and can provide a "certificate of eligibility" for going to school in English.

Ce que je trouve stupide dans cette loi c'est que les parents qui aimeraient pouvoir offrir à leurs enfants une vraie éducation en anglais (vu qu'être bilingue est un très gros plus), mais qui n'ont pas les moyens, bien ils vont devoir se contenter des écoles francophones très médiocres au point de vu de la langue seconde.

Si au moins le gouvernement pouvait se réveiller pis placer des cours EFFICACES et DÈS LA PREMIÈRE ANNÉE DU PRIMAIRE pour apprendre l'anglais à la place de se masturber devant la loi 101.....

I say, lets burn the pq govmnt down and start from scratch.

x2 its ridiculous.. I'm totally against this.. I went to French high school and English college. but my kids could not go to English if they chose to.

Great way to (try) keep your population in your shitty province.

Je suis tellement content que mes parents m'aient envoyé à la garderie anglaise. Ils sont tous les deux francophones et moi, mes premiers mots étaient en anglais. Ça n'a pas pour autant affecté mon français. Vraiment arriérée cette loi...

is the current loop hole still working? I need to get my bro in an english school ASAP before this shit unloads and hits the ceiling

aaaaahhh le PQ

nazis.jpg

Encore une fois nivellement vers le bas.....Mais on est meilleur que tout le monde ici, on a donc raison!

Did you guys READ the article? It's the current government, the liberals, that are trying to pass this law, and it's the PQ who is trying to stop it.

Ce que je trouve stupide dans cette loi c'est que les parents qui aimeraient pouvoir offrir à leurs enfants une vraie éducation en anglais (vu qu'être bilingue est un très gros plus), mais qui n'ont pas les moyens, bien ils vont devoir se contenter des écoles francophones très médiocres au point de vu de la langue seconde.

Si au moins le gouvernement pouvait se réveiller pis placer des cours EFFICACES et DÈS LA PREMIÈRE ANNÉE DU PRIMAIRE pour apprendre l'anglais à la place de se masturber devant la loi 101.....

Second language? if french schools just had a decent first language... the french teachers suck here. It's insane.

PQ is just trying to stop it to get votes in the next elections.. Honestly Charest and his comrades seem to be just as separatist as the PQ...

Where is another Denis Lortie when you need him...

couldnt go to the elementary school in my backyard because my dad did his high school in english and not elementary. so i was refused in an english school. i think its ridiculous and un canadian to force me to go to any kind of school. you should be allowed to do your education in what ever official language of the COUNTRY is. witch is french and english.

Quebec settling for the shittier options, always. I've been saying it for years make the damn school system bilingual. You want a brighter future for this province? Make sure future generations have the tools to succeed.

honestly i think people should have the right to choose but on the other hand with things the way they are now , why the hell would u send ur children to english school in quebec unless ur french ?

i went to french school cept for college , and i'm glad i did even though i prefer english to french any day of the week . my english is self thought , spoken written and red and it aint to bad .

de l'autre cote mon francais est pas si pire non plus , malgre que je n'utilise pas de ponctuation en ligne

i really dont see the point of going to school in the language u speak at home ?

tbh, I wish I had gone to french school.

I'm pretty bilingual, but had I gone to at least french elementary or highschool I'd be almost perfect which would be pro :/

ive done all english and am learning french the hard way at work....

i can write just about as good as anyone because no one writes properly.

i would prefer to do all english but actually have french classes that weren't useless. we did the same verbs grade 1-5. cant even remember that crap, and noone cares that i dont know it either.

Back