Retail Stores Caught Throwing Away Wearable Clothes

clockwork

Imagine, people donate tons of clothes yearly to organizations, to help out the less fortunate, and some big chain stores would rather throw it away, in the landfill, than donate it to the poor. Even worse, they cut the fabrics so they cannot be reused... Disgusting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Sneakers in the Trash Were Made for Recycling

THROWN OUT Cynthia Magnus with the new sneakers she found.
“I know perfectly well,” Cynthia Magnus said, “that garbage is not glamorous.”
Certainly not. But it can be famous.
Last winter, as Ms. Magnus, a graduate student at the City University of New York, walked along 35th Street in Manhattan to get to class, she often spotted bags of unworn clothing left with the trash. Some of the garments had been thrown out by H & M, the retail chain, which has a branch on 34th Street. The clothes had apparently been deemed unfit for sale.
To make sure the items would never be worn or sold, H & M employees had slashed them. Outside another building on the block, Ms. Magnus found unworn clothes tagged with Wal-Mart labels and punched through with holes to make them unwearable.
When this column reported her discoveries, tens of thousands of people posted comments on Twitter, many of them appalled that on the coldest days of winter, perfectly good clothing had been destroyed. H & M said some unnamed employees had made mistakes, and it promised the practice would end.
Having seen something and said something, Ms. Magnus resumed her regularly scheduled life. She continued to walk down 35th Street. She also kept an eye on the trash.
“On the 24th of May, a Monday night, I discovered two Dumpsters filled with new children’s sneakers on that same block,” Ms. Magnus said last week.
This was more than indifference to the poor on a single block in a wealthy city. Every year, millions of pounds of textiles that could be recycled wind up, instead, in landfills. The fabrication of shoes and clothing requires large amounts of energy. Risking catastrophe, we drill a mile under water to get to oil that ultimately will be used to make mountains of garbage.
New York is considering sensible steps to recycle more textiles and other materials. Under legislation before the City Council, rigid plastics would be added to the list of items that are collected for reuse.
Another bill would require the city to put recycling baskets next to the regular trash cans in public places like parks and schools. There would be efforts to do more composting — allowing food waste to naturally decompose — without creating buffets for rats. (About 15 percent of the city’s garbage is food, and about 70 percent of the weight of that food is water — which means that the city is shipping tons of water to landfills, according to testimony before the Council last month.)
As for textiles — clothing, shoes and so forth — the Department of Sanitation hopes to set up collection bins in the city in the next year, expanding piecemeal textile recovery efforts now available for residents. Under this plan, a not-for-profit group would collect the items and sell them to recyclers. Businesses would continue to make their own arrangements.
New York’s commercial garbage has its own economic logic: Cardboard, certain grades of paper, scrap metals and food waste from restaurants are commodities, which means that sometimes they are quite valuable.
If textiles make up 10 percent or more of a company’s waste, the city requires the business to separate them. Ms. Magnus found, however, that the law is toothless and commercial textiles are often sent to landfills.
The fine for companies that don’t separate their textiles is $25, unchanged in the two decades that the city has been recycling. The recycling legislation before the City Council does not increase those fines. It calls only for a study of commercial waste.
“The quantities of textile that I have seen discarded regularly by the garment businesses in Herald Square exceed in a single day what a family of 10 would discard in an entire year,” Ms. Magnus said.
But if there’s a recycling market for textiles, no matter what the law says, why aren’t the businesses taking advantage of it?
“People are often not aware that what they have is of value,” said Robert Lange, the director of the city’s recycling programs. He said the city needed a close study of commercial waste to see how it should change its laws. The low fines, Mr. Lange said, are a big flaw, but there has been little political interest in increasing them over the past 20 years.
On the day she spotted the piles of sneakers, Ms. Magnus said, she was running late for class, so she grabbed a few samples from the container, as well as a few yards of unused fabric. Her walks along 35th Street have convinced her that the city needs to look beyond the trash thrown out by individuals.
“One guy doing the right thing with his tuna cans does almost nothing to curb the impact of the steady stream of toxics that businesses abandon daily with near impunity,” she said.
E-mail: dwyer@nytimes.com

From a marketing perspective, that's just horrible. Giving the clothes to charity instead of ruining them and throwing them away would make for good commercial exposure, marketing-wise.

All in the name of Capitalism !
Everyday tons of food are thrown out, milk pour into the ground just to limit "Supply and Demand" so prices remain "High" !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVsPCQNRHZo"]YouTube- Jonathan Bloom: Wasted Food[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNA9Nganlpc"]YouTube- S.O.S.![/ame]

Last edited:
It's almost as bad as killing your children one-by-one as they are born if they come out as girls instead of boys... :run: lol

And on topic... although it is a waste, just think about it from the companies' perspective. If their clothes with imperfections are given to the homeless and the homeless start walking around wearing their brand of clothing, it doesn't really give that brand a prestigous name to it... it will then become more of a charity kind of brand and, although it's poetic and all, it's not necessarily the best marketing image to portray.

It's almost as bad as killing your children one-by-one as they are born if they come out as girls instead of boys... :run: lol

And on topic... although it is a waste, just think about it from the companies' perspective. If their clothes with imperfections are given to the homeless and the homeless start walking around wearing their brand of clothing, it doesn't really give that brand a prestigous name to it... it will then become more of a charity kind of brand and, although it's poetic and all, it's not necessarily the best marketing image to portray.

That's the problem dude - It's all corporate based. If we lived in a world where common sense was used we'd all be happy and peaceful, But money makes these corporations rich and they don't care about anything other than the money.

I worked at little caesars on st.charles for like a month as a driver, Chinese bitch(boss) used to throw away like 20-30 pizza's some days, My buddy worked there and st.jeans for like 4-5 years, He was assistant manager at st.charles at the time and he decided to say fuck it and make 3 large pizza's that were going to literally be thrown away, Chinese bitch found out and she threatened to call the cops on him... The food was going to be thrown in the garbage

Anyone have any idea how many restaurants throw away food everyday? We've got homeless on the streets - Feed the poor bastards. Imagine 1 little caesars throws away food that could feed 100 people every single day... Imagine how many other places do that - Every Single Day

Well this does not make a whole lot of sense.

Generally quality control would have caught them before they ever left the factory. If they were unfit, the QC in charge would shit on the factory workers, cancel the order and leave the factory screwed. The factory would sell them as stock lots to jobbers or private labels. If the QC missed it or the factory did their own QC (So sent crap on purpose just to get paid) and they did reach the company, random samples are normally checked before they do to the stores. If they were found, most companies then send them to a winners type store to minimize loss.

Now, overseas yes, there are crap loads of clothes wasted but im very very surprised to hear that they are making it to the stores and are thrown out at that level.

^^ tu as très raison....si TOUTE les restos donnait de la bouffe sa serait fou,on aurait pu de homeless qui crève de faim...

Well this does not make a whole lot of sense.

Generally quality control would have caught them before they ever left the factory. If they were unfit, the QC in charge would shit on the factory workers, cancel the order and leave the factory screwed. The factory would sell them as stock lots to jobbers or private labels. If the QC missed it or the factory did their own QC (So sent crap on purpose just to get paid) and they did reach the company, random samples are normally checked before they do to the stores. If they were found, most companies then send them to a winners type store to minimize loss.

Now, overseas yes, there are crap loads of clothes wasted but im very very surprised to hear that they are making it to the stores and are thrown out at that level.

There should be a professional QC based company to do every single company on this planet instead of corporations doing their own and scamming the system... Unless this already exists and I just don't know what it's called? I'll assume ISO#### is pretty much what I'm talking about? if they are what I'm talking about even they do it half assed =/

There should be a professional QC based company to do every single company on this planet instead of corporations doing their own and scamming the system... Unless this already exists and I just don't know what it's called? I'll assume ISO#### is pretty much what I'm talking about? if they are what I'm talking about even they do it half assed =/

ISO-9001-2004 is only a voluntary certification and it doesn't guarantee a perfect product or service, it is just a written account of how things are to be done so it can be audited to what was written, "Say What You Do, Do What You Say". If the procedures are wrong, then they keep on making a bad product, just look at the Small 3 ...LoL

QA/QC is based on cost, if there is no saving in $$$ then CEOs would just take the easiest way out to make a profit.

You can literally find and buy products that cost like $100s of dollars for under $5 here because the packaging has spelling mistakes, no French instructions or the company was taken over by another and the company's name needs to changed on the packaging etc...

That company is called me....:D
I should say was, as i moved on now.

Very very few companies manufacture their own clothing overseas. They hire an agent or factory to run their production for them. At any given time, most major factories have production running for 3-4 different companies.

In the same factory that i made Buffalo jeans, i would make Walmart or Bluenotes. same factory, just different tolerances, styles and fabric.

When specking out these garments the tolerance is so tight that if my wash shade was off by the slightest tint only seen in a light box, the clothes would be rejected. That's why there is so much over stock. If my jeans were to have a 32"inseam and they were plus 2mm.. rejected.

Thats why its so rare that clothes that dont make spec would be shipped. I mean the factories dont give a shit, they just want it out but most companies hire a quality control staff to make sure that the final production matches the 1st, 2nd and final samples. As well, when i shipped to any company, random samples would be pulled from the boxes and specked for shade, measurements (bluenotes as about 50 points on their jeans) , weight, feel etc etc etc. anything wrong and shipment would be rejected.

The reason why i dont do it anymore is because once i taught my clients what i know, they think they can do it themselves..now this starts to happen. Not enough staff on the line watching the production and the factories send in crap just to get paid.

I use to sit in shitty factories in Bangladesh or China and every now and them the company would send out a rep. Once they stepped foot in that shit hole, they would never want to come back.so this is what they get. Clothing that does not meet spec.

But i am very surprised to see it thrown out on the streets. If i got something rejected, id pull the lable and re stitch a different brand on and sell it in a different market or to winners.

It doesn't become a charity brand... If let's say Lacoste, went out on the medias saying - All our "unfit for sale" clothes, production fuckups etc will be donated to charity - that brand would make a killing. It wouldn't be seen as a "Charity brand" thus losing prestige, it would become even MORE of a SNOB brand worn by rich people because they would feel like they endorse a company that gives out their trash to less fortunate thus making them feel even better about themselves since they would think their deed to the poor is done.

On the other hand, if a brand doesn't say anything about what they do for the poor, and poor people start wearing it, THAT could affect the image because people would think "hey if that poor guy can afford that...I'll buy something more expensive, I'm rich"

For a brand to say "we feel for the poor, we will give our GARBAGE to them because it is useful to THEM" is VERY "in"...

Back