Why does Apple fail so hard?

BIGTUFFGUY

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
specs_dimensions20100901.jpg

Why launch something like this and support so few types and not even offer 1080p?

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Last edited:
LOL, what a bunch of thieves:

HD Movie 1280 x 720 (maximum) Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound (not all titles) New releases - $4.99
Library titles - $3.99
SD Movie 720 x 480 anamorphic (maximum) Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound (not all titles) New releases - $3.99
Library titles - $2.99
HD TV Show 1280 x 720 (maximum) Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound (not all titles) $0.99
SD TV Show 720 x 480 anamorphic (maximum) Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound (not all titles) $0.99

But with the new touch you can take picture at an amazing resolution of 960 x 720

Best responses ever in here!

In any case they do it cause they know the sheep will buy it and they can use under spec parts.

Their ads are basically going to say:

"Better than xbox with it's Netflix and downloadable content already in full swing"

I could only imagine the setting being:

"Hi i'm and Xbox and I'm an Apple TV"

Funny part is that again they will fail to mention how the Microsoft product can play games :bigup:

It's funny how not even 10 years ago, all these Apple fail threads would have been about Microsoft.

apple is bigger than microsoft now. lol

but this apple tv thing is to bring what itunes did for music(ie. the 99c mp3) to tv and video. i don't buy it, just like how i didn't buy into itunes. this product is completely useless to me.

I'm happy that I'm not over reacting to this fail of a product.
Why even bother updating Apple TV if it's not an improvement from the original.
They made it smaller and prettier.... wow.

Why couldn't they make it play 1080p like any other TV player, how hard would it have been for their ELEETO-BURITO chip to decode .mkv?

If it would have done those two simple things I actually would have bought my first apple products. TV & Touch.

they'll release an appletv gen 2 with 1080p and get to resell back to their audience.. duh. It will follow the same wave as all their other products. It's no point to them to offer the best of the best out there when R&D will be so high and cut into their margins. They need competition to try join in and wave after wave demolish them.

Back