Is Tuning Dead?

Le Tuning n'est pas mort, AU CONTRAIRE.

Il fait juste se départir des ti counes qui ont vu F&F qui qui ont voule faire pareil.

Le Tuning va revenir à ce qu'il était. OUT les show-off qui voulaient juste se donner un statut social. C'est les vrais amateurs de voiture qui restent.

Le Tuning n'est pas mort, AU CONTRAIRE.

Il fait juste se départir des ti counes qui ont vu F&F qui qui ont voule faire pareil.

Le Tuning va revenir à ce qu'il était. OUT les show-off qui voulaient juste se donner un statut social. C'est les vrais amateurs de voiture qui restent.

If anything it's more about status than ever before with all the forum trends now. What you guys call rice nowadays was the hellaflush 15 years ago. It's not any better or worse, just fads.

There always has been / will be huys doing it for attention/looks and guys going for power/handling. There's also going to be guys doing it rigth and some doing it wrong.

If the scene is so much more hardcore than before how come there never has been more crappy coilovers brands, no name drilled discs, green racing air filters then ever. D2 coilovers on wanli tires don't help performance any more than a wing west body kit, there are just more in style for the next year or two...

I don't know about 'Tuning', but I do know that the Performance Industry is still strong. We still get new members for the lapping club, all of our track days are full as our schools.

Lapping, Performance Driving, and Modifying your car FOR it, is still strong!! Body Kits and Wings... I don't know anything about that, unless its an APR Wing to provide downforce :)

As for the accessability for the race tracks... they are very accessible. Have you ever tried??

Sunday nights there is the Time Attack at St Eustache. Spend 10$ gets you 5 laps. On top of that, if you want to go during the day to St Eustache, you can. You get a couple of buddies together, pool together your money, and boom you have it.

I've gone several times with different people, who call one week in advance and book a 3 hour slot at St Eustache for a couple of hundred bucks. Race tracks are expensive things to maintain. You have the property taxes every year, you have staff, maintanence, and all the other shit to pay for. Nothing is Free. If you want to build a new track, Sweet! You'll need about 10 million bucks... thats only after you bought the land.

On top of that driving on a track isn't all fun and games. Thats why with the lapping club the primary focus is getting people TRAINED to drive on a track. And yea... Driving home at 90kph from the track does seem slow... but its only a 20 minute drive from the Autodrome St Eustache to the West Island, and does it ever feel like a nice cruise after ripping it on the track.

As for your 'quicky' for the week... ASE Lapping Club.. $20 dollars for 20 minutes every Monday night throughout the Season. Thats a nice quicky for me!

Last edited:
Tuning is far from dead and will never die. As has been mentioned, it's just becoming slightly less mainstream (which is a good thing because there will be less idiots shopping at Canadian tire for their performance parts just to be cool) and the style has changes (more OEM + and sleeper) so it's less noticeable.

I like to think the culture has simply adapted to the stupid laws, and police state enforcement. By going with a style like OEM+ you get less attention from the police and that's what people are moving towards

you r so right

I don't know about 'Tuning', but I do know that the Performance Industry is still strong. We still get new members for the lapping club, all of our track days are full as our schools.

Lapping, Performance Driving, and Modifying your car FOR it, is still strong!! Body Kits and Wings... I don't know anything about that, unless its an APR Wing to provide downforce :)

As for the accessability for the race tracks... they are very accessible. Have you ever tried??

Sunday nights there is the Time Attack at St Eustache. Spend 10$ gets you 5 laps. On top of that, if you want to go during the day to St Eustache, you can. You get a couple of buddies together, pool together your money, and boom you have it.

I've gone several times with different people, who call one week in advance and book a 3 hour slot at St Eustache for a couple of hundred bucks. Race tracks are expensive things to maintain. You have the property taxes every year, you have staff, maintanence, and all the other shit to pay for. Nothing is Free. If you want to build a new track, Sweet! You'll need about 10 million bucks... thats only after you bought the land.

On top of that driving on a track isn't all fun and games. Thats why with the lapping club the primary focus is getting people TRAINED to drive on a track. And yea... Driving home at 90kph from the track does seem slow... but its only a 20 minute drive from the Autodrome St Eustache to the West Island, and does it ever feel like a nice cruise after ripping it on the track.

As for your 'quicky' for the week... ASE Lapping Club.. $20 dollars for 20 minutes every Monday night throughout the Season. Thats a nice quicky for me!

We keep going back to the same thing. Blah Blah night this and setup up an appointment that. People have crazy schedules. Take myself I go to school some nights until 9pm and I have a friend who works at the airport starting 1am. We'd both like to lapping some time in a group but our schedules don't match or mesh properly with what's offered. I fully understand a track costs 8 digits to acquire and run but right now why not have people paying X$ to race on it, it's probably just sitting there not being used.

I still retain drop-in tracks are what's needed because people will just say fuck it and race on the street. They rather take an easy risk over a safe but longer process that might not even be offered at the time they wish to race.

I still retain drop-in tracks are what's needed because people will just say fuck it and race on the street. They rather take an easy risk over a safe but longer process that might not even be offered at the time they wish to race.

This is what Go-Kart tracks are designed for. Quick cheap racing.

Tracks cost a lot of money - which you admit too. Tracks are also there to make money just like any other establishment. They can't pay their staff, the ambulance, the towing guy, the insurance company just incase 10 people show up and want to use the track.

Sanair does have an OPEN DOOR Policy. Its $100 dollars per person, and you show up and do whatever. But what that means is that, if you want to do lapping - but there are 3 people the using the drag straight for testing and tuning well... you need to figure that out on your own.

I know schedules suck sometimes. But remember, its a Hobby, and a choice. You choose to go to school at 9pm... and even if you don't, it is because your stuck and thats the only time its offered. But at LEAST Its offered.

Yea some people might not be able to make it to the track during the times that its there. But you know what. I rather still OFFER the time, and have 60 people show up, than not offer it and take the chance that 60 people would do something stupid on the street.

Goodluck! Hopefully your schedule will be better next year!

Last edited:
tuning has taken a dip and it`s clear. Real car mags about modifications are gone. Sport compact Car used to have amazing tech articles and how-to and that magazine went down the drain yet shit like super street is still on the shelves.

I`ve also noticed that as people who were into the tuner crowd and had integras and 240s are still around but they have more expensive and better performing cars (from the factory) like 350Zs, S2000s, STis, EVOs, G35s and so on.

The scene just matured with its members.

Je sais pas ou vous vivez mais moi il a rien qui me dit que le tuning est mort. P-e que les speed shop en arrache mais c'est a cause d'internet et tout les shop online.
Vla une coupe d'année cetait des bodykit cheap et des p-flow qu'on voyait. Sa coute pas chere et sa se voit facielement sur le char.Sa donne limpression qui en a plus mias en realité tout c'est char la avait souvent rien en dessous du hood.
J'ai limpression que le tuning de ''showcar'' lui est moins populaire mais pour ce qui est de la track/drift/drag je crois que c'est different.
Je suis curieux combien d'entre-vous qui dise que le tuning est mort visite regulierement des tracks pendant lété.

People confuse tuning with the craze of Fast and Furious. Tuning did not grow, the scene was just invaded by posers wanting to show off differently then by popping their collars. Tuning shops are closing left and right as they were created to fulfill a false demand. These same posers have moved on to something else, bringing the market levels back to their original level.

Tuning has always been underground.

It's refreshing to say the least, we no longer have to deal with idiots showing off their ''car knowledge'' at every possible opportunity.

Finalement quelqu'un s'en rends compte que sa va bien au Québec!

Si on regarde l'évolution de la scène aux États-unis sa nous donne toujours une bonne idée de ce qui s'en vien

Je lis beaucoup de magazine américains et l'on peu s'apercevoir qu'il sont encore plus restrain coté modification qu'ici,

En Californie tous les véhicule datant de plus de 1975 sont soumis a un under hood inspection, test d'émission etc a tous les ans. Ya même les lois qui font restriction des swap permis selon plusieurs catégories et specs des véhicule donneur / receveur (poids, année, puissance etc) C'est pour cela qu'on voit rarement des projet de 1975+ venant de la Californie.

Pourtant la scène la bas est encore immense. la façon de faire a seulement changer

GM et le sema sont entrain de négocier avec l'état de la californie une ligné de moteur disponible comprenant tous les accs, ordi, fillage, cats etc qui permetterais le swap légalement dans tous les vieux véhicule, hot rod et home build car :D Ils s'apellent les E-rod engine.

Les gars vont pouvoir swapé des moteur propre, complet et légale pour les inspection

Les moteur disponible devrais être:

LS3 430 hp
LS7 505hp
LSA (cts-v) 550 hp
et pour finir le 5.3 330hp

Tout sa pour dire qu'ici ont est encore très bien et peux importe ce qui va arrivé avec les lois etc ne feront pas disparaitre le tuning mais seulement le modifier et on va seulement s'adapter comme on le fait depuis plus de 30 ans ;)

I think everyone here is right, you all have good points describing different situations that are all true and I think we are going for a better future in the tuning scene, at least, as a 28 year old grown up, I'm hoping for.

I'll admit that I'm part of the FF generation of tuners. That movie really impressed me I must admit. Fortunately it boosted my interests in engine modifications instead of ricing.

je sais pas pour le tuning, mais personnellement, avant j'achetais un char ordinaire (integra 1990) pis j'passais mes payes pour mettre des trucs dessus...

aujourd'hui j'ai vieilli et j'ai plus de moyens alors j'ai préféré acheter un char performant et ne pas trop le modifier.

le style de tuning change beaucoup, c'est passé d'accessoires flash a JDM et aujourd'hui c'est "stance". Dans tous les cas, y'en a qui exagerent et c'est le "rice" du moment. Avant c'était les ailerons trop gros, les exhaust trop gros. Aujou'rdhui c'est les camber trop exagéré, les stretch ridicules... trop c'est comme pas assez!

Cet été j'ai travaillé avec un certain Mike qui était de la scène de la 32e au début des années 1990. Il me contait plein d'hisoires de malade, les gars qui arrivaient avec leur autos de drag sur des trailers, ça roulait en Mustang, en Corvette pis en Grand National. Les courses de rue toujours, et sans que la police fasse plein d'arrestations pis donne des tickets (selon ses dires...). Il m'a dit que le moment où il a remarqué que la scène a commencé à se dégrader, c'était quand un jeune en Integra GS-R flambette a voulu impressioner les gars de V8 et s'est ramassé dans la ditch. Il m'a dit que les speed bumps de la 32e sont apparus quelques semaines après... Un peu après, il a remisé sa Mustang, qui roulait alors dans les 11...

Tout ça pour dire que ça a beaucoup changé depuis. Mike me disait souvent "man you missed the good days, you were born 20 years too late". Oui c'est sur aujourd'hui n'importe quel ti-coune peut checker sur internet comment faire tel mod, mais pour construire un char qui va réellement faire un impact ça prend du talent et de la pratique, et ça, ça ne changera jamais. Tu a pas un show winner en chippant ta GTI pis en faisant installer des springs qui drop de .5 pouces...

Mais il y a 20-30 ans, tu voyais tu ça souvent des Integra qui, avec des moteurs de 1.8l, font 250 hp et virent à presque 10000 rpm? T'avais tu ça des WRX/EVO/tout ce qui est awd/ qui pouvaient aussi bien launcher sur la neige que sur l'asphalte? Pis les Mustangs tenaient tu aussi bien la route que maintenant? Les VW te lachaîent tu un coup de blow-off Forge en passant à côté de toi à toute vitesse?

Les gens modifient des autos (à grande échelle) depuis 60 ans. J'ai déja vu un magazine Life datant du début des années '50 qui parlait de la culture hot-rod/customs. Les autos changent (et restent, on voit toujours des hot rods ici et là), les gens, les moyens, les modes et les outils changent aussi. À chaque nouvelle génération de gars de chars des nouvelles idées et sous-cultures se développent. Tant qu'il y aura un mode de transport individuel (il y en aura toujours), il va y avoir du "tuning". (même si j'haïs le mot!)

Pis RIP Sport Compact Car, c'était un cristie de bon magazine!

One day it will be power transistor swaps, replacing the windings on motors, and changing magnets for stronger ones :bigup:

Tuning is dying. Kids wanna play but money is hard to earn and prices of everything is high. Also, I really think we need more ricers. At least they 'modify' cars.

There are some funny opinions in this thread. But first, don't mix up racing and tuning.

Tuning in general is slowing down and this is true across all regions becuase cars come factory equipped -TUNED. They have version of bas model cars with bigger brakes, bigger motors and fancier trim options.
Why bother tuning the car?
Well even so, people with still buy coil springs and mags for new cars and this is where tuning is right now.

Back in the days, they called it customizing!! Yeah, you customized your car to your taste.

Now fast and furious was just a chapter in the tuning evolution and thank god its gone!

RACING- all forms and styles- been here sine the 50s and will never die. The desire for the human being to go faster- cannot be toned down. There will always be racers, racetracks and race modifications- safe bet for sure.

And the funniest thing I read so far in this thread is the " drop in race track" LOL for real?
Race tracks are so much more accessible in 2010 than they have ever been.

Back in the days- if you wanted to track your car- 2choices get a race license and roadrace OR get a solo I license and do small Solo I days.
Now you can lap almost any day of the week.
It is so far fetched to think that someone would satisfy someones desire to have a drop in race track. Its like saying- I have a busy schedule and I miss the Canadiens games, so they should be playing 24 hours a day so I can see them on my schedule LOL!!!

250- if you want to be a responsible driver, adjust your schedule to the racetracks schedule.

Tuning is alive.
Racing is thriving!
Customizing will never die.

Back