question about importing a car from the U.S..

TheMilkMan

I might import a corvette from the states and had a question about the recalls..

the car that Im looking into needed to go through a recall for the electronic column lock but that was bypassed by the owner..

would like to know if thats the case..would the border/inspection give me trouble for that?

what could be the solution to this?

thanks

What year?

You have to provide a proof of no outstanding recall on your vehicle to get the federal inspection form.

If the recall was not performed by GM, it is more likely showing in their system...

the RIV will never issue you the form to plate the car if there is a recall that needs to be done on the car.

if the recall was not performed, it will show up in GM's files and you need to provide an official proof from GM that there is not recall for that car.

You have two options.

- Pay a US dealer to "do" the recall
- Photoshop the letter from GM to send to the RIV (I highly doubt they call the manufacturer every time to check if it's real)

It's a 1999.

There were two recalls from which one was done and the other one was not performed. The owner got Chevrolet to fax him the recall notice/letter.

you can get the recall done once the car is in Quebec... doesn't need to be done in the US

my viper had a recall that needed to be done, I went to a local Dodge dealership, they did the recall and then i was able to get my car inspected and plated

only thing is you need to get everything done pretty quickly once the car is here because you have like 30-45 days (can't remember) to get the car plated once you import it or else you need to export it back to the US

when i imported my 240sx, it had the trans swapped to manual, but an open recall for the automatic shifter button. i went to the dealer and they updated the system to note that the recall had been completed (or was no longer feesible) either way it was recall free and i could go about importing it.

only thing is you need to get everything done pretty quickly once the car is here because you have like 30-45 days (can't remember) to get the car plated once you import it or else you need to export it back to the US

That's why I think it's easier to ask the current owner in the US to take care of it before you bring it to Canada.

Back