First time Rider , What to expect ?

blval

Going for my 6R on Tuesday .. I’ve just finished my 9 hours at Morty’s driving school, .. yeah I still have some ways to go but I’m really excited to get this going in motion. Hopefully by next spring I can be riding, I am a little nervous at the same time, I never drove a motorcycle before . . I don’t know many people who ride. . so I turn to MR for answers, I am a tad nervous to ride.. is that normal? First bike , I was looking at the 636’s .. or 08 ZX-6R, Or can I jump to the 1000 right away? Is it really that much of a difference , do you as a rider need x amount of experience to ride a 1000cc . Yes I am into sport bikes, I am also 24 years old.. I do not have a heavy foot, I just find them appealing. I am doing the courses with my cousin, he’s looking towards the Honda 2012 250cc .. I personally find that a little small , but then again I never drove a bike, So tell me MR what should I be looking out for, be expecting , how was your first experience and how long have you guys been riding?

i don't particularly suggest a sport bike as first bike. there's plenty of fully faired tourers if that's your thing. sv650 or something are great starter bikes. 250r are indeed a little small, but something like a gs500 or 400r is good to start on. if you want to start on a sport, start on a 600cc. thousands can be pretty hardcore

definitely dont suggest a 1000cc superbike right away, thats just a recipe for disaster. ask elite.

D'un côté, tu va avoir des gens qui vont te dire de commencer par un 1000 si tu as un tête sur les épaules et d'un autre côté tu va avoir des gens qui vont te dire de commencer par un 125...j'exagère un peu mais tu vois le genre.

Vas-y avec un 600 pour commencer. Il va plus pardonner si tu fais une erreur (coup de gaz mal placé par exemple) mais tu vas quand même avoir quelque chose de performant. Sv650, 650r, cbr 600, etc. Oui le cbr est un ss, mais les honda ont des moteurs plus linéaire et moins surprenant que les autres motos.

Avec un 600, tu vas évidemment jouer un peu plus de la clutch, mais ça reste plaisant à conduire. Ça fait 3 ans que je fais de la moto, j'ai commencé avec un cbr 600 et c'est peut-être ce que je vais me racheter dans quelques années.

As-tu pensé à un naked pour sauver les plaques ? Je sais que ce n'est pas ce que tu recherche, mais peut-être que ça vaudrait la peine de jetter un coup d'oeil au Kawa z750, Yamaha FZ6 ou FZ8.

Pense aussi à prendre un cours supplémentaire. C'est quelque chose que je n'ai pas encore fait, mais qui en vaudrait vraiment la peine selon les commentaires que j'ai eu. Regarde du côté de Trackfever ou de Fast.

Ne néglige pas non plus ton équipement. Casque, manteau, gants, pantalons et bottes. C'est moins confortable que de rouler en camisole, mais en cas de chute, c'est pas mal moins douloureux que de se faire brosser à l'hopital. Si tu n'es pas convaincu, fait une recherche sur google image "mortorcycle road rash".

Et c'est normal d'être nerveux au début. Conduit comme si tu étais invisible, ne prend jamais pour acquis que les automobilistes autour de toi t'on apperçu. Tout est un danger potentiel sur la route.

Bienvenue dans le monde des motocyclistes ;)

I was in the exact same situation as you. 22 yr old never driven a 2 wheel :p just finished my class in july the day that I got my 6A I bought a zx6r 636 (2005) best year for 636(2005-2006) as my firt bike and this thing is a beast for a first bike but I don't regret it because I know that I can keep it for long time or If I wan't somthing with more power I can put It on track !. I'd say don't start with a 250 I heard It get boring after a few week because of the lack of power. For me the 636 is the perfect bike :p to start with if you realy want a Super sport but if you don't care you can look for any other 600cc that are sport touring.
And if you're realy looking for a 636 (like me) buy a 2005 or 2006 It have better suspention, better brakes, the exaust under the seat (but the disadvantage it don't have any storage place, nothing)

oh and by the way sometime I ride alone even if im suppose to be accompanied the ticket is 240$ +4 pts and 1 chance of 2 to get the bike seized but you can get it back the same day (15$ +towing) I don't suggest it im just saying it...

sorry if my english suck I try to improve it.

I always suggest going with a carburated 600cc to start, but seeing how even 10-12 year old bikes are fuel injected, it may be hard.

Try an older 2003ish CBR600 or GSXR-600. Maybe even an older R6 (before the redesign), but they're know to have the occasional transmission problem (then again, so does the 03-06 ZX-6R).

Personally I find the 03-04 636 to be a very aggressive starter bike.

Don't go 1000cc.

If you want to save a ton of cash on insurance and registration, go with an SV650 or Z750. Even an SV1000 or Z1000 isn't so bad either.

moi j'ai commencé direct avec un 1000 sans probleme......c'est du cas par cas.....commence avec celui que tu aimes car sinon tu vas le regretter...combien écoute les autres puis dans la meme été change de bike

I always suggest going with a carburated 600cc to start, but seeing how even 10-12 year old bikes are fuel injected, it may be hard.

Try an older 2003ish CBR600 or GSXR-600. Maybe even an older R6 (before the redesign), but they're know to have the occasional transmission problem (then again, so does the 03-06 ZX-6R).

Personally I find the 03-04 636 to be a very aggressive starter bike.

Don't go 1000cc.

If you want to save a ton of cash on insurance and registration, go with an SV650 or Z750. Even an SV1000 or Z1000 isn't so bad either.

I always been told to stay away from craburated bike lol

i started with 03 636 and im still alive.

but i wouldnt go with 1000cc ss..
if you want a 1000cc, go sport touring, not ss.

Meme si t'as pas le pied pesant d'habitude cest juste trop l'fun clancher ak un 1000.:D:D*tu*

Pis achete toi le bike qui te fait le plus tripper...un 1000 en 6ieme il te levera pas dans face mais si tu tamuse a le crosser en 1 ou 2 vitesse ben la tu joues avec le feu.

I got my learners in june and bought a ninja 250, got it for a decent price and it has very little km's so i figured why not....
Yes it is underpowered, kind of boring but honestly for the price they go used you can't go wrong, plates and insurance is cheap I did the course with one of my friends and he picked up a Z1000 as a starter bike, its really smooth and solid, amazing bike but if you aren't careful and get too confident on it with little experience it can get you into trouble... fast

I don't regret buying the 250, if you can get one at a decent price ride it for the rest of the season and once you get more comfortable, next year pick up a 600

a new 600cc sport bike. lets say a ninja or gixxer (gsxr) is faster than 99% of cars.. i think the 1/4mile is high 10s low 11s, i don't think you have any idea the speed of these things. start small and light 250-500cc. learn how to avoid situations that can be dangerous instead of relying on acceleration and handling to get you out of bad scenarios.

J'ai aussi commencé mes cours et je me suis acheté un Ninja 400R. Pour l'instant je tourne en rond en avant de chez moi :)P) et sérieux, ça avance en masse pour commencer... T'apprend pas à conduire dans une Ferrari, je ne vois pas pourquoi ça serait différent avec un bike. Laisse faire les concours de "qui pisse le plus loin" et vas-y pour un bike que tu aimes avec un cc avec lequel tu vas être confortable. Quand tu seras prêt à upgrader (1-2-3-4-5 ans ?) tu le feras.

Et comme dis l'autre : investit dans du bon équipement. Si tu te plantes à 100km/h, ben too bad, peu importe l'équipement, c'est comme en char : il y a des crisses de chances que tu y passes. C'est à des vitesses de conduites de ville que ton équipement va t'éviter bien des problèmes.

How big are you? If you're a taller heavier guy, you probably won't want a 600 sport, they are awfully small and cramped. You can get sport-touring bikes that have a lot of performance and power that are bigger and comfier. I'm pretty big (6'3" and 265lbs) and I started with an FZ1 (same engine as an R1) and I'm still alive, you can start with a powerful bike if you aren't ham-fisted. I'm in my 2nd year of riding now and I have a Suzuki B-King (same engine as a Hayabusa) and the thing is a pussycat if I want it to be, or a wild animal if that's more your thing.

If you're smaller you can still get smaller sport-touring rigs like a SV650 or Ninja 650 and be quite comfy, and they will still be faster than any car you have driven. But if you're hell-bent on $1000 plates and insurance premiums to match, go ahead and get a super sport. I would look into something like a 636 or a GSXR750 if I went that route.

Just get used to the idea that bikes are a TON faster than cars, 600cc sports can run low 10s in the 1/4. Sport-touring 650s run low 12s. 1000cc + super-sports can run 9s if the rider knows what they're doing and maybe lowers the bike down a bit. And all these are stock bikes, not modded and stretched drag bikes.

Jai eu mon 6A Apprenti en avril, acheté un R6 en mai, et c'est vraiment assez puissant pour un noob.
Sa ma fait peur quelque fois.
L'année prochaine je me paye une session de cours a Mecaglisse, aussi tu peux lire le livre twist of the wrist II ou download le dvd en torrent. Sa peux t'aider a prendre la bonne decision avant de reagir et faire de quoi de stupide sur un SS.
Avant d'acheter un SS, je pensais que c'étais vraiment basic comme conduite, mais ces machines la son vraiment complexe et peuvent te mettre dans le champ en moins de 2 secondes.
600CC is more then enought for a first bike !!

I watched Twist of the Wrist and it's helpful but very hard to apply in the city. Most of it is for track riding or riding up north.

Thanks everyone, it was a pleasure reading all the comments above, here at mr I noticed that the people on the forum are very supportive. I went to a motorcycle shop this weekend .. I had that feeling where everyone was cold with me . I guess I looked like a “ Newbie “ that they didn’t want to put to much focus on me Thank you everyone , for your support . And for that great video @ Lol_Face3 –
After reading that comment about the road rashes .. I find myself spending more time looking online at equipment then bikes now a days . yikes! I never really realized how important it is to be fully protected at all times while riding.

Thanks everyone, it was a pleasure reading all the comments above, here at mr I noticed that the people on the forum are very supportive. I went to a motorcycle shop this weekend .. I had that feeling where everyone was cold with me . I guess I looked like a “ Newbie “ that they didn’t want to put to much focus on me Thank you everyone , for your support . And for that great video @ Lol_Face3 –
After reading that comment about the road rashes .. I find myself spending more time looking online at equipment then bikes now a days . yikes! I never really realized how important it is to be fully protected at all times while riding.

Si tu veux quelques sites internet pour les gear, jette un coup d'oeil sur Revzilla (http://www.revzilla.com/), RidersDiscount (http://www.ridersdiscount.com/), Motorcycle Superstore (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/).

Mais avant d'acheter sur internet, appelle chez Pete Superbike (http://www.petes-superbike.com/english). Le gars fait vraiment des bons prix pour un détaillant du Québec. Je n'ai eu que de bons commentaires à son sujet, surtout pour les tires.

Another bike to check out is the Kawasaki ZZR600.

It's essentially a 01-02 ZX-6R but remarketed as a sport touring bike (cheaper regi, cheaper insurance). I think they made them up until 2006?

Back