Drugzz and 90's raves

Kacey

www.handlerwheels.com
In the 90's friends and I used to go to "rave" parties. We used to get on a bus at the corner of Milton and clark and have no idea where would be dropped off. Often it was in skate parks, bingo halls, random warehouses, but it was always a good ol' fashioned illegal party. Sometimes they would get busted..but that was part of the fun. We had speed (strawberries, peaches) and E (MdMA powder or compressed pills). DJ's from around the world and it was a real sex/drug fest.

I remember going to SONA on opening night, and for the first little while it was amazing, then as the scene got popular, it really changed.

Has anyone partied back then and is still in the scene? How does it compare, Drugs and music? Are the parties still illegal, or only held in halls?

Talk

The warehouse raves from the 90's were fucking epic. Taking the metro and bus back home in the morning was harsh, ears still buzzing and pounding to the beats of the night. Being wrecked for a few days. I often worked on sunday evenings at Provigo still high on speed. I remember Circle was fucking loud, I had tinnitus for like 3 days non stop.

Nothing compares to them today.

I have started in 1995-1996, stopped early 2000 after throwing Optik in the Taz Mahal and loosing a shitload of money (but learning a lot in the process).

At the end I was quite bored with most djs in small underground raves and could not stand the huge party crowd of the big commercial 514 events, so I was often just going to Sona/Aria when good DJs were playing (I remember Mauro Picotto it was epic and also Dieselboy)

I used to have thousand of pictures and flyers on my website (technodium.net) but I lost everything ¤¬@£¢£¢

Good 'ol days!

bro bal en blanc > everything

I hope thats sarcastic lol

My last party was in 2003, Natura , wich used to be free goa-trance party up in the middle of the woods, no exact location givin, you had to ask around to find it, you knew you were getting close by the beat. By 2003 it was 45$ tickets , Biker gangs at the entrance and the vibe was lost.

Only good partys that still remain are private partys in lofts, but its not the same.

lol @ bal en blanc.

Hey j,ai vécu seulement la fin de la vibe des purs et durs des raves où tu dansais, tu te massais, tu perdais la carte par boutes. Maintenant c'est devenu mainstream, alors comme à chaque trend qui devient mainstream ca perde ses plumes. Maintenant t'as quelques gros événements, super commerciaux, remplis de gens de clubs et non de raveux.

La pill est coupée par tellement de cochonneries, ca n'agit plus, ca scrap, les raves sont tempérés froids pour empêcher de tripper et trop éclairés, la musique est totallement commerciale, et c'est over priced à mort. Horrible.

I hope thats sarcastic lol

My last party was in 2003, Natura , wich used to be free goa-trance party up in the middle of the woods, no exact location givin, you had to ask around to find it, you knew you were getting close by the beat. By 2003 it was 45$ tickets , Biker gangs at the entrance and the vibe was lost.

Only good partys that still remain are private partys in lofts, but its not the same.

Yeah the last parties I went were in lofts. Just wasn't the same at all, too amateur and often poorly organized and in sketchy locations. One party, a guy fell from through a hole in the floor where the washrooms were. The organizers had put tape around the hole but it was poorly done. He fell like 6 floors down. The cops and fire department came and raided the place at the same time.

The Arrival and Evolution Radar One weren't bad for outdoor raves (well mostly Arrival I and II).

I'll talk:

I turn 23 this month so I wasn't going to any raves in the 90s. I've been to some small events in the early 2000s, but didn't do any drugs. When I was in Kindergarten my neighbors kid (who became my friend over time) would sometimes babysit me when my parents were out and he was about 15 at the time. I remember we'd listen to music and he'd show me all this stuff that I've never heard before and I began listening to stuff "adults" were listening to when I was only 6 years old. I quickly began taking a liking to the music and I'd always give him blank cassette tapes so he could give me some copies whenever he gets new stuff, and this went on for a few years till I moved, too. He'd have these mixtapes that his DJ fried would give him from live sets that he'd go to. I still have them and there's a variety of differnet genres from psy trance to detroit techno, this guy was an edm junkie. In my opinion 90s music has a better feel and is much more genuine than the shit I hear today at clubs/raves but that's just me lol.

I miss those long tracks that fucking blew your mind and gave you goosebumps everytime. Everything had so much more feel to it... I miss tracks like these and the nostalgia hurts:

I had a blast at Arrival 1! One of the last good big partys

Agreed, totally epic party, one of the few I'll never forget. The lasers shooting into the sky really gave that impression of a UFO that landed in the middle of the corn field.

Problem with this was the girls looked good in the rave. When it was time to leave and that door opened my friends and I used to to tell the bouncers to push them back in the dark. On a serious note I only went to Aria was never really into pills and techno music.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Arrival 1 was crazy, the field had holes everywhere it was quite hard to dance without getting injured (it was an untouched farmers land in the west). The cars were parked for miles on the road.

The setup for Arrival 2 and 3 was much better in Mirabel (Bois de Belle-Rivière). These were good parties even though they were quite big.

I have started in 1995-1996, stopped early 2000 after throwing Optik in the Taz Mahal and loosing a shitload of money (but learning a lot in the process).

At the end I was quite bored with most djs in small underground raves and could not stand the huge party crowd of the big commercial 514 events, so I was often just going to Sona/Aria when good DJs were playing (I remember Mauro Picotto it was epic and also Dieselboy)

I used to have thousand of pictures and flyers on my website (technodium.net) but I lost everything ¤¬@£¢£¢

Good 'ol days!

Oh, man I remember technodium.net. I had a feeling you would be the same MrSpace from that board.
It was a solid community on there.

I had the most fun at the 500-1000 people parties. I liked the scene, and the music, but then it is probably because I never took drugs (I have strong views against their usage).

Good times indeed.

Arrival 1 was crazy, the field had holes everywhere it was quite hard to dance without getting injured (it was an untouched farmers land in the west). The cars were parked for miles on the road.

The setup for Arrival 2 and 3 was much better in Mirabel (Bois de Belle-Rivière). These were good parties even though they were quite big.

True, I still preferred Arrival 1 though, I remember a friend of mine sprained his ankle that night. But Dave Clark's mix at Arrival 2 (or was it 3?) was great.

Some parties i went to: Appliance, This N That, Arrival 1, 2, bliss ..hard to remember some others

Last time I had this kind of fun (also the experience that ended it) was: Infected mushroom, spinning at Sona, with me on 'shrooms... Was quite livid but not very vivid... What a muhfukin' trip!

Good times...

I was invited to an illegal party (not a rave though) with drugs and nice music no later than last saturday, but I couldn't go unfortunately :(.
I've never been to such events yet, I hope to have other occasions.

I didn't get to live that scene.
Like everything else, the 2000s took away from us, the techno crowd is gone or went mainstream.

Back