Its happening, new Passat

Dubweiser

Here it is, question is, will VW water it down for the US market? Most probably, but can still hope.

Here's what Europe can buy before years end:

2015-VW-Passat-B8-8.jpg

2015-VW-Passat-B8-37.jpg

In what ways were the latest VW designs were watered down for the US market?

Mechanically, sure, but aesthetically, they are pretty much the same...

Le groupe VW fait de plus en plus dans le "Badge Engineering". Change le logo et t'a une A6.

Ceci dit, la familiale est vraiment belle.

please please please VW!!!!! Bring that wagon here!!

The passat is what i'm getting next year, TDI with sportpack but if we get the wagon, screw the sedan!

love the wagon. That wagon in TDI 4 motion trim would be my next car for sure....but we will probably not see it in North America....we're lucky if we're getting the wagon at all.

In what ways were the latest VW designs were watered down for the US market?

Mechanically, sure, but aesthetically, they are pretty much the same...

The B7 Passat in North America IS watered down. We get halogens, Europe has HID. We get regular taillamps, Europe gets LED's. North American car is wider and longer, and the design cues arent as sharp. There's also more chrome treatment, better exhaust finishing and valences and a heck of a lot more options on the Euro model. The n/a models are therefore, watered down for our unrefined North American taste (according to all the Hans' at VW).

This is a lot nicer than the Passat we get here:

2011-volkswagen-passat-20-tdi-bluemotion-sedan-and-tsi-wagon-european-spec-photo-369823-s-1280x782.jpg

Especially from a Euro brand it is a bit of a strange strategy especially when others in the same category are doing the opposite (especially Kia & Hyundai that have more "high end" options available for their mid-size sedans) but it has worked well for the Jetta and I think the Passat had better sales than before also.

Especially from a Euro brand it is a bit of a strange strategy especially when others in the same category are doing the opposite (especially Kia & Hyundai that have more "high end" options available for their mid-size sedans) but it has worked well for the Jetta and I think the Passat had better sales than before also.

Since the early 90's VW has been living in opposite land when it comes to North American offerings. When the trend was simplicity and frugality, they offered premium products. When everyone started offering upscale styling, feature and refined motors in the late 00, VW starts offering boat anchor 2.5L 5cyl (even though I love that engine). It has done well, but I'm sure VW would have squeezed out a heck of a lot more sales if they offered something as interesting as the MK4 when it was released.

By the time they react the trend will have shifted again and they will be late for the game, again...

Back