Tall drivers

RWDLover1

I'm 6'1" and I'm sure I'm not the only one having my knees way too close to the dash in some cars.

Anyone have experience with extendmyseat.com or something similar?

It could be a good solution for some of us.

I'm 6'2'' or 3 and I could use some extra leg room in many small (and some medium) cars. In sports cars, head room adds up to the possible issues (the mx5 being the worst, I'm eager to see the new one). On the MR2, I did some mods to fit with my racing helmet

IMO, the issue isn't that much about having the knees hitting the dash or wheel (I'm skinny and wheels can tilt) but it's simply that having the tighs not supported properly by the seat cushion isn't comfortable and gives cramps. In some cars, if the problem isn't that bad, a good option would be to put some big washer under the front mountings points of the seat, giving more tigh support without eating the rear seats legroom or doing serious mods (cutting, welding).

Usually german cars offer more generous room, even the Mini has plenty of room for the driver. I don't know why japanese and most US car makers persist to make short rails, it costs about 1,50$ to get an extra few inches of steel.

Otherwise, 250$ for a bracket kit seems like a racket. And in some cars like the 2012+ yaris, they improved the legroom compared to the 06-11 but since the steering is non telescopic and not specially close to the driver, going more rearward would just cause issues with the steering wheel being hard to reach comfortably. In many cars it will also make the door side armrest inefficient.

I like motorcycles for that, zero adjustments and the ergonomy is usually fine.

I'm 6'2, when I was shopping for cars a few years ago I was exited for the brz/frs. With the seat all the way back I couldn't get my foot on the cluch without serious contortionist moves.

Also I opted for a 5 series vs a 3 simply for the room. I wanted the performance of the 335 but it was too cramped even though I could adjust the seat good and have more than ample pedal space. Just too cramped.

In general I find most german cars good for the tall person.

I never had a problem with older civics either, those always fit well, I had 8 of them over the years. Too big for the s2k however.

Small pickup trucks aren't the tall man's friend either. Like the ranger.

My MK4 jetta was perfect for me and the 96-00 civic was also pretty good.

Now the corolla is bad, the new civic just isn't right even if the seat goes back far enough, the sentra is bad...the mazda 3 is ok I guess. Hard to find any good daily driver unless you consider a midsize.

Now the corolla is bad, the new civic just isn't right even if the seat goes back far enough, the sentra is bad...the mazda 3 is ok I guess. Hard to find any good daily driver unless you consider a midsize.

I put Integra seats in my 1999 Civic and the position was close to perfect, best 100$ invested ever. Corollas indeed always sucked, although the height adjuster now helps a bit compared to the older ones. I skipped considering a tercel or 90's corolla as a first car because of that, and for the family we didn't really have choice to with the camry over the corolla for the same reason.

I'm 6'2, when I was shopping for cars a few years ago I was exited for the brz/frs. With the seat all the way back I couldn't get my foot on the cluch without serious contortionist moves.

Also I opted for a 5 series vs a 3 simply for the room. I wanted the performance of the 335 but it was too cramped even though I could adjust the seat good and have more than ample pedal space. Just too cramped.

I never had a problem with older civics either, those always fit well, I had 8 of them over the years. Too big for the s2k however.

I didn't drive the FRS, but I found it was one of the most tall-compliant sport car in the market. It seems to have enough head room to wear a helmet too. It's important to put the seat at the lowest position when it has the adjuster, it usually helps with leg room since it's not really vertical motion but more lik 45 degrees (going down and rearward).

But since you found the 3 series cramped, I guess it's really more a psychological feel in your case, because the 3 series offers plenty of room for the driver. It's like people under 5'10 saying that sub-compact cars are too small for them, it's laughable. But american way of life = the bigger the better!

Last edited:
For me it's not the knees but the headroom. Many cars I touch the ceiling and it's annoying

The 964 is among the worst...

The Fiat 500 is really bad too, especially considering it's height. Same goes for the Scion IQ, I fit fine but I can barely see red lights at the stop line.

For me it's not the knees but the headroom. Many cars I touch the ceiling and it's annoying

I try to avoid cars with a sunroof for that reason.

J'ai vu des kits pour modifier/changer les rails sur eBay mais je doute de la qualité du produit. Je ne voudrais pas me mettre à risque en cas d'accident.

La SAAQ peut le faire non?

J'suis 6 pied 4 et j'suis tanné de ne pas voir les lumières rouges lol.

My friend is 6'3 and loves his BRZ.
I'm 6'2. and have always had more than enough room in my cars.

Arrêter des vous plaindre je suis 6'6 ... Pis j'ai déjà eu une is300. Acheter vs des trucks ( ou une mini-van) !

I'm 6'1" and I'm sure I'm not the only one having my knees way too close to the dash in some cars.

Anyone have experience with extendmyseat.com or something similar?

It could be a good solution for some of us.

For me, I would enjoy having "LowerMySeatsMore" function, because it's always the headroom that is the problem , not the legroom, and I'm 6'4. The new mazda 3 is Ok(2014+), I had a 2012 for a few month and I was allways to far away from the steering , even at the maximum settings. The skyactiv models have a new interior design and is very different, so you can have the steering very close to you wich is good and more confortable.

Anyway i bought mazda 6.

I found out the toyota corolla 2006ish to be the most unconfortable car i've driven lol.

We got some motherfckin giants on MR.com.
I'm 6' and I haven't been in a car where I felt there was no legroom.......or maybe I have short legs?!

it's crazy how it can change from one vehicule to another, even if they are in the same class. I currently have a protégé as a beater and it's so spacious compred to all my previous b15 sentras...

also have to agree with german cars having great spaces available. My M3 has more room than my 4 door Spec-V used to have, crazy...

Arrêter des vous plaindre je suis 6'6 ... Pis j'ai déjà eu une is300. Acheter vs des trucks ( ou une mini-van) !

Les trucs ou mini van n'ont pas forcément plus de place que les sedans..
Et l'espace nécessaire c'est aussi une question de goût personnel visiblement. Mon cousin mesure 6pi7 et il trouve sa Pontiac Vibe correcte, pourtant l'espace aux jambes est loin d'être écœurant.

Back