How would you judge a car show?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
If you had the judge a car show, how would you do it? There seems to be a lot of disagreement on this because it isn't an exact science.

I ask because There is a show called the Super Auto Show on Sept 12 at ICAR and MR is sponsoring the tuner section. I'm trying to determine how I'd like to have the cars judged. I'm also looking for two judges if anyone is interested. There are already about 50 or entries confirmed.

The last show I judged was in 2006 but the scene has really changed since then. Bigger wheels and bigger body kits aren't necessarily better. More mods aren't necessarily better. I'm looking to get input on how MR thinks the MR section should be judged. So far I have the following guidelines for a modified car show. I'll be assigning points to each section but this is just a rough draft.

Exterior

Is the paint redone? Does it have a lip kit? Are there modifications to the body? Do these mods make the car look better?

Interior

Does it have upgraded seats, shifter, dash, gauges, carpet, paneling, trim etc?

Under the hood

How much engine work was done? Is the engine clean? It it shaved?

Wheels & Tires

Are they knockoffs or high-end? How is the fitament? Is is functional? Should it be functional?

Suspension

Is it lowered?, Does it have an air ride or coilovers or cut springs?

Custom work

Is there any custom work on the car? Is this custom work aesthetically pleasing?

Cleanliness

Is the car clean? How clean?

Overall theme

Points will probably be given or taken away for the overall look of the car

° of camber, lowest to the ground, most expensive wheels, bonus points for air ride and busted fenders. Negative points for performance mods. This is how you will make the crowd happy

° of camber, lowest to the ground, most expensive wheels, bonus points for air ride and busted fenders. Negative points for performance mods. This is how you will make the crowd happy

plus bonus si tu reussis a arracher ton bumper avant sans effort en montant une toute petite pente et double bonus pour chaque voiture du meme modele que le tient trouve sur le terrain

serieux un char dans un show devrait etre juge sur le travail investi dedans en premier
des "show cars" dont l'engine bay est pas de la meme couleur que le restant de la voiture et des mecaniques stocks moi = pas capable

I've judge before and I go at it like a waterfest judge,
quality of parts, tires, paint, amount of money gone into it. You can be biased, a riced out car that you might think looks terrible could actually be an insane build with quality parts yet lose to a car on bag and wheels cause thats popular now.

Point system with different percentages allocated to the various categories. This means that say work quality (fit & finish of the mods if you will) will be worth for example 30% while the quality/price of the chosen mags is worth maybe 5%. These are examples only, if I would be a judge I would create a spreadsheet and carefully assign the % levels.

Categories I would evaluate:
Project originality - If you're showing up with a MKV on bags and overplayed wheels, you're getting a big 0 here.
Exterior & Interior Aesthetics
Quality of parts chosen
Level of car transformation (i.e how different is the car from stock form)
Quality of workmanship
Other (overall theme and design cohesiveness, practicality/driveability etc)

Some of the categories would have subcategories.

PS: I could consider taking on the gig, send me a PM with what obligations it entails especially in terms of how much time it would require)

You forgot to add: how stretched the tires are (anything above a 205 section on a 10'' wide wheel is shit)

Bonus points for:

sticker bombing (complete panels),
rust (ideally the whole car),
roof racks with tricycles and other useless shit (the more useless shit, the better),
wide wheels in the back (on a FWD car),
broken oil pans,
missing trims,
license plate hanging with 1 bolt,

With all these elements you have a show-stopper.

Point system with different percentages allocated to the various categories. This means that say work quality (fit & finish of the mods if you will) will be worth for example 30% while the quality/price of the chosen mags is worth maybe 5%. These are examples only, if I would be a judge I would create a spreadsheet and carefully assign the % levels.

Categories I would evaluate:
Project originality - If you're showing up with a MKV on bags and overplayed wheels, you're getting a big 0 here.
Exterior & Interior Aesthetics
Quality of parts chosen
Level of car transformation (i.e how different is the car from stock form)
Quality of workmanship
Other (overall theme and design cohesiveness, practicality/driveability etc)

Some of the categories would have subcategories.

PS: I could consider taking on the gig, send me a PM with what obligations it entails especially in terms of how much time it would require)

Pretty much

bf1a35e6.jpg

ITS_blank_scoresheet-800x1024.jpg

Judge-Sheet.jpg

If it's tuned cars you're judging, I would put emphasis on the functionality of the car. A lot of tuned cars end up turning into show cars, or perhaps race cars, and therefore removing its street driving capability. Unless ofcourse, it's not only a street tuned car competition.

I'd definitely be in to Judge. Let me know!

There's a lot of things to consider. And I'd look at it both subjectively, and objectively. I have the attention to detail to judge good paint from bad paint. I've seen "clean" cars with absolutely terrible details jobs.

I look at it as tasteful as well. Just because you changed everything inside and painted your dash lime green doesn't mean it's good.

If you can see shortcuts that's a big no-no to be, like parts in the engine that aren't actually hooked up.
Quality parts plays a role as well.

I think that a car isn't always the sum of it's parts though.

You know thing has turned to shit when the price is being taken in consideration...

I'd host the show at a drag strip, then have the cars race each other. Winner gets points.

How 'bout that! :D

Most of them would run like 18 secs because too much camber and wheels too big and stock engine.

Back