My MK4 TDI

sotam123

Alright soo i have decided to post up a little progress thread on my jetta.. will soo be a year i own it, but now beeing i work at home on the computer all day...lets just say i have a little more time to spend on this.
Ive already had other posts on other forums about my cars but this will be the first on MR. lots has been done soo ill slowly update it to the current state.
To give a little backround before..this is my 3rd vw diesel, ive already had a mk4 golf and recently a mk2 1.6 that i swapped a tdi into with other goodies..

Anyways..if we go a year back, i owned my mk2 and i was driving a 97 tercel as a beater for winter..the tercel was a shitbox and it was time to upgrade the daily so i found a 1 owner 2000 jetta for sale in Upton(1 hour away from Montreal). the add had just been posted up and i called him and went to see the car the same night (was like 10pm and the coldest day of winter last year). go to see it and the man had all the receipts and the car was absolutely spotless with all the maintenance up to date at 330000km on the odometer.
this is what it looked like when i brought it home (end of February 2015):
os7oyf.jpg

352rd74.jpg

was super clean, had some vw rust repair done to it under warranty, not much to be done to it tho. Had Hids(that i removed because I hate on halogen lights) and aftermarket headunit with the car prewired for a sub. Got it for a great price!!
Anyways moving on a couple weeks...i had put up my Mk2 for sale during the winter for a decent price and someone bought it 1 week before i was going to take it out of storage...soo that was gone too and i was just left with my newly acquired daily..
For those wondering..here is some info on what i had done to it: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409814

With the extra money from the mk2(i was going to get a 67 beetle but the seller wasnt able to give me a price for it soo i moved on..) i decided to spend a bit on the mk4 and make it look a bit nicer...
I got a set of Fk coilovers, gli tails and headlights(got rid of the nasty fogs) and also traded a mk2 gli rear disk conversion against a gli valance kit. Also found a good deal on a set of r32 aristos and got hid of the nasty summer wheels that came with the car.
beginning of summer she looked like this,
jrbhv8.jpg

did a muffler delete and got myself a rear window visor and 3inch exhaust tip to compliment to the gli look..
whmubl.jpg

Also to mention i had a evolution skid plate( a must imo for a slammed mk4). front coilovers were at the lowest adjustment with the helper springs still in.

Last edited:
ok soo here is a little more now that i have on my lunch break..soo the car still beeing stock engine wise i kept everything in good order and took it for a few trips this summer..
here are some pics because everone loves pics!

eurokracy
snnw54.jpg

fm8o0.jpg

nqodi1.jpg

then i also went to Waterfest in NJ..Stayed 1.5 hours south in wildwood and drove there every day...the miles were racking up quickly..
saw soo many awesome cars that i was following on ig and met a lot of cool people

afterfest:
fwow2q.jpg

orchid euro mk2 limo:
2wnsci8.jpg

weird abandonned field with army trucks(we were pretty scared to get shot here...but we explored..)
2napw1d.jpg

after the trip to waterfest...it really got me pumped up to build up the slow 90hp tdi engine up since it was still stock and the original turbo was to be replaced and timing belt was due soon with all the milegage i was putting on it. So i started planning out what my setup would be and what parts i would need..
I always wated a vnt22 setup since my first tdi and i told myself it was time for it to happen now. Soo i started my shopping for what was going to be a winter engine build..when i suddenly came across a full 100% complete tdi engine swap. it was pretty much excatly what i wanted. I wasnt planning on working on the engine this summer...but with the deal that i got plans just changed!

although i will never understand that Diesel love, i think your project is cool, can'T wait for more updates

Tdi=Monster torque toujours dans le fond et quand meme faire du 4l/100 qu'es qui a a ne pas aimer.

je prefere les moteurs rev happy qui deviennent de personalité à haut RPM :)

and I hate the diesel engine sound and the smoke.

pi entre moi et toi, ce qui fait qu'un diesel est torqueux, c'est ben plus le choix de turbo, les moteur VW à essence d'aujourd'hui (1.8T et 2.0T) sont très près d'avoir le torque d'un diesel (max torque @1600rpm genre...)

although i will never understand that Diesel love, i think your project is cool, can'T wait for more updates

i dont know.. i had gotten my drivers liscence..i was looking into buying a gti or something along those lines..i had a friend that had a super clean 97 sab 9-3...one day he showed up at school with a mk4 tdi, he told me he had sold the saab and gotten that. it was noisy, smelly, rusty..he told me how muched he paied for it and i was laughing my ass off. I told myself who in the world would ever buy a shitty slow diesel. Long story short he convinced me to try it out, i drove around the block and instantly fell in love with the "torquey" feel..a month later i bought myself the same car. Ever since ive owned 4 tdi.. mk2 mk3 and 2 mk4s. they get awesome gas mileage. Also diesel smells goooood haha

je prefere les moteurs rev happy qui deviennent changent de personalité à haut RPM :)

and I hate the diesel engine sound and the smoke.

pi entre moi et toi, ce qui fait qu'un diesel est torqueux, c'est ben plus le choix de turbo, les moteur VW à essence d'aujourd'hui (1.8T et 2.0T) sont très près d'avoir le torque d'un diesel (max torque @1600rpm genre...)

oui cest vrai..mais taurai jamais leconomy dessence dun diesel...quand jai ete a waterfest jai fait proche de 2000kms round trip sinon plus(going 120/140kmh the whole time), pis jai just utiliser 2 tanks et demi de fuel...la pluspart de mes chums sont meme pas aller parceque saleur aurai couter une fortune en gas...Anyways i love driving and going on random road trips soo a tdi is really my type of car!

Mon ancien tdi, 300ft-lbs et 180whp aller retour lac st-jean en fessant le tour du lac. Une seul tank et 4.2/100km toujours dans "Rod". Different stroke for different folks j'imagine

Effectivement, on peut pas nier l'économie d'essence.

Nice projet, update nous ça asap!

the swap..

ok another update..

soo as i mentionned i found a full built tdi engine swap for half the cost of the actual parts, and beeing a 100% complete swap it was a no brainer to jump on since i wanted the same setup...soo i got in touch with the seller and less than a week later everything was in my garage. this was a whole setup including the 3inch downpipe, fmic and piping, tuned ecu, fuel cooler, egt/boost gauges, pod, in tank fuel lift pump(tdis dont have a fuel pump in tank before the late mk4 BEW engine models).

organised a weekend with my friend and did the swap...we started around 5pm on the friday and finished around 4pm on the sunday...

here are some pics..

original engine out;
33ayosp.jpg

empty bay;
dmzjhx.jpg

new setup is back in;
2vvj7kk.jpg

29o1w12.jpg

we also ran into and issue with the intercooler piping since were it went thru on the drivers side i had my skid plate mount..soo the following monday i took the mount to work and my friend notched it and reinfored it with 1/4in steel(i worked in a locomotive shop as a mechanic)
final product;
33woe3c.jpg

ibjbs4.jpg

the swap went well...had an issue with the shift tower bushing beeing shot since the tranny was sitting in a container and the tower got seized up(should have just put in my tranny)..once that was sorted the thing ran great! it was absolutly crazy!! it would pull like crazy and the amount of torque out of it was insane!!! the following couple weeks were totally awesome!

here are some things that were done to the engine;
-GTB2260KV Turbo
-Stage 2 Colt Cam
-Race520 Nozzels
-11mm injection pump
-i.e rods
-arp head studs
-pd150 intake manifold
-in tank lift pump
-4bar map
-3inch dp
-stage 3 clutch
-fmic
-MRtune

the setup was never dynoed but hopefully i can get it on one this summer...hoping to get 250hp and over 400lbs..

thats all for todays update.. ill do another small once later!

di you work at CAD ?

nope in a smaller shop at coteau du lac called Ronsco..worked there for 1.5years was such a shithole..there were a bunch of people from CAD tho..
anyways wasnt really in my line of studies either..just to make some cash untill i find a better job, now i work from home.

did you work there?

Always love the MK4. Still think is the best generation of the Jetta.

It got that timeless design.

yep ive always said that to everyone...the mk4 was quite nicer and had such a advanced look for its generation if you compare it to the competition...and that is proven because they sold that same mk4 model for 10 years with the jetta/golf city that was sold up untill 2010(maybe more idk), beeing that they started with the 1999.5 models

Back