Muscle "Pairing" Training Experience + Trainign schedule - Info and feedback needed

Kaimera

Legacy Member
Muscle "Pairing" Training Experience + Trainign schedule - Info and feedback needed

I want to get a bit of your personal experiences regarding muscle "pair" training, maybe the wording is incorrect but I will explain.

Is there any benefits to training opposite muscles (Chest/Back, Bi/Tri) in the same day? Not necessarily one set chest one set back type workout, more 6 sets chest then 6 sets back?

I like to keep my lifting workouts under 45 minutes, 4 times a week, not looking to compete for looks nor win gold in lifting anything.

I'm 5-11, 215 lbs, looking to get back in the low 190s.
BF% as per the pic below between ~15% maybe 16%
menbf.jpg

Was 195 ~12% BF 1 year ago but started drinking and eating like an idiot.

My training schedule is as follows:

Day 1: Squats/shoulders lateral/abs decline "sit ups"
Off
Day 2: Chest/Back - Flat plane
Off
Day 3: Dead Lifts/shoulders front/ abs "leg raises"
Off
Day 4: Chest Incline/pull-ups/biceps/triceps
Off
Off

ON 1 Cycle, Day 1-4, I do heavy weights and fail 6-8 reps, cycle 2 I do lighter and fail in the 12-15 range, only exception is abs, usually I do 3-4 sets of 50-60 reps on decline and 10-20 leg raises

I dont want to have more than 4 days as its hard enough getting to the gym 4 times a week, I rather stick with 4 then have 5 and not commit.
I swim and play sports on the side as well.
I dont want supplements ideally, worse case some whey protein.

This schedule make any sense? Any improvements anyone can suggest? Personal Experiences?

Any info would be appreciated thx

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3′ rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3′
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2′
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3′
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2′

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3′
Row: 3-4X6-8/3′
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2′
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′

For the Thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12

Thx Riffo,

Im gonna take it ez for the legs as I blew a hamstring 1 month ago at soccer.

Ill give your thing a shot in a month or so.

Rgds

I want to get a bit of your personal experiences regarding muscle "pair" training, maybe the wording is incorrect but I will explain.

Is there any benefits to training opposite muscles (Chest/Back, Bi/Tri) in the same day? Not necessarily one set chest one set back type workout, more 6 sets chest then 6 sets back?

I like to keep my lifting workouts under 45 minutes, 4 times a week, not looking to compete for looks nor win gold in lifting anything.

I'm 5-11, 215 lbs, looking to get back in the low 190s.
BF% as per the pic below between ~15% maybe 16%
http://www.freedieting.com/images/menbf.jpg

Was 195 ~12% BF 1 year ago but started drinking and eating like an idiot.

My training schedule is as follows:

Day 1: Squats/shoulders lateral/abs decline "sit ups"
Off
Day 2: Chest/Back - Flat plane
Off
Day 3: Dead Lifts/shoulders front/ abs "leg raises"
Off
Day 4: Chest Incline/pull-ups/biceps/triceps
Off
Off

ON 1 Cycle, Day 1-4, I do heavy weights and fail 6-8 reps, cycle 2 I do lighter and fail in the 12-15 range, only exception is abs, usually I do 3-4 sets of 50-60 reps on decline and 10-20 leg raises

I dont want to have more than 4 days as its hard enough getting to the gym 4 times a week, I rather stick with 4 then have 5 and not commit.
I swim and play sports on the side as well.
I dont want supplements ideally, worse case some whey protein.

This schedule make any sense? Any improvements anyone can suggest? Personal Experiences?

Any info would be appreciated thx

I have a hard time figuring how you can say you are currently 215 @ 15-16% body fat and that 195 brings you to 12%

20lbs is literally 10% of ur whole weight

I am giving an indication based on the picture I posted, not trying to be scientific here.

Before I was in better shape, more muscle less fat, now I have a bit less muscle with more fat.

1. muscle pairing or not, it doesn't matter. Quality of execution, intensity and volume is the key

2. loosing fat goes by doing aerobic training, eating healthy food and having a calorie intake lower than your outtake. So you either start by building muscle and then loosing fat, or the opposite. (first option has the potential to be more effective)

3. deltoïde isolation is useless

4. doing abs workout won't make you loose belly fat and abs cannot hypertrophy to the point were you see them

in all, your workout plan seems good, but I'd change a bit of it. instead of lateral or front shoulder, I'd simply to OHP. It would give you time to add some back exercice witch your program is lacking. 1 day of squats and 1 day of deadlift isn't enough imo. So on you deadlift days, I'd add some front squats and on your back squat days, I'd add some stiff legged deadlift.

1. muscle pairing or not, it doesn't matter. Quality of execution, intensity and volume is the key

2. loosing fat goes by doing aerobic training, eating healthy food and having a calorie intake lower than your outtake. So you either start by building muscle and then loosing fat, or the opposite. (first option has the potential to be more effective)

3. deltoïde isolation is useless

4. doing abs workout won't make you loose belly fat and abs cannot hypertrophy to the point were you see them

in all, your workout plan seems good, but I'd change a bit of it. instead of lateral or front shoulder, I'd simply to OHP. It would give you time to add some back exercice witch your program is lacking. 1 day of squats and 1 day of deadlift isn't enough imo. So on you deadlift days, I'd add some front squats and on your back squat days, I'd add some stiff legged deadlift.

Thx for the Input Cassard

1 day of squats and 1 day of deadlift isn't enough imo. So on you deadlift days, I'd add some front squats and on your back squat days, I'd add some stiff legged deadlift.

I fully agree on everything but this. A good high intensity with heavy weight should leave him unable to walk for a couple of days and the full week to recover is more than welcome

A good old 10x10 german style squat day with deadlifts and you wont ask for more during the week

My 2 cent

I fully agree on everything but this. A good high intensity with heavy weight should leave him unable to walk for a couple of days and the full week to recover is more than welcome

A good old 10x10 german style squat day with deadlifts and you wont ask for more during the week

My 2 cent

That is what I have been experiencing,

I do high intensity, heavy weights.
Whenever I train Chest for example, it takes me 4 days minimum for the soreness to go away. Same with Squats, biceps, shoulders, back.
I dont think I can "overlap" more than I do now as I dont want to train a muscle still in recovery.

I sometimes shuffle my days around or take another rest day If the next in line muscle groups is still not ready to take a beating.

If you are sore for 4 days when training at high intensity with heavy weight, your volume is to high. To much isn't better. Also heavy weights on isolation movement is not effective. I prefer doing less volume at high intensity but doing it 3 times a week, instead of taking a full week to recover.

Back