Your journey - How do you stay motivated - Diet/Exercice & more

VolksWannabe

Hey guys,

Thought i'd open up about this since I'm currently struggling a bit juggling with personal life, work, training, etc. I did not quite regain a rythm that I consider good to be in an healthy shape or in a healthy routine let's say.

Background
I've always been pretty active during my school years and up until I started working at a desk job in 2008 (yeah 9 years ago...) I was snowboarding (teacher for kids+casual rider) swimming (lifeguard from 16 year old to 23) and was maintaining alot of activities while never really training in a gym.

The first fall
During that whole period (until 23 years old) i was always around 170-180 pretty lean, not very muscular but decently shaped I'd say. When i settled down, got my desk job and current GF (around the same time) I slowly began to do less and less while eating more and more (having a good disposable income at the time while I had no house or car to pay).. In more or less 5 years I ballooned up to 230 pounds without really noticing it and it hit me back in christmas 2012 after coming back from a trip to Jamaica, I was a fat SOB...

The first shock
I was completely shocked to notice i had 25% bodyfat (probablymore) and began training like a motherfucker. I was enrolled in my project management masters, 2 class per week (6 to 9) I was training 5 or 6 days a week (even after my night classes when i had too) and had my full time job. My GF was also pregnant at that moment of our first kid (she is now 3.5 years old). I cleaned up my diet alot, but did not count my calories, i was eating "cleanish" and training a hell of a lot. It took me about 1 year to get down to 190 pounds close to 10% bodyfat

The second fall
At that time the pedal was still floored, we were approaching summer 2014, my little girls 1 year old birthday was coming up and the training lifestyle exploded; I had been in a really rocky up and down relationship with my GF because of it. I had no life really and I barely saw my kid (she was asleep when i left for work and 50% of the time she was asleep when i was back home at night) It had been close to 1.5 year I was going hard in the gym and not letting go and I gradually started to make concessions, I had been training with 2 friends during that whole time (1 during the first 4 months and another one afterward) and alot of friction happened between me, my GF and them. Fast forward a bit, me training alone, decreasing training frequency and not watching my diet my 2nd kid was born in october 2015 and I was focusing on keeping me and my GF out of the insanity state of mind that 2 kids can put you through. And we finally arrive to christmas 2015... I had been off training for maybe a few months at that time with a few burst of training a month and then taking a month off.. But the harsh reality is that I was 225 pounds 20%+ bodyfat. It felt horrible...

Drastic measures
In 2016 I felt like nothing was working, I decided to get on the ketosis bandwagon (going against the advice of all my friends who were training or in nutrition/kinesiology) it made me want it more and without much training (a bit of insanity or p90x that went inconsistently) and 3 months later I was at 197 pounds looking a bit better but weakened by the lack of training. April was around the corner and my family has a sugar shack and I finally broke and went off Ketosis, I was just starting 5x5 training at the time and decided I needed the carbs. I maintained the 5x5 for 2 months and fell in the loop again went back up to 220 pounds by the end of the year (oh by the way I did buy a squat rack for my house and a bench during that time that has seen maybe 4 months of use until today)

A new hope?
By the end of 2016 i decided to leverage again the gym I had bought and started doing 10x10 (German Volume Training) I started back in december and did 4 solid weeks followed by 2 weeks off (went in mexico and had the holidays aswell) and I'm on my second week back on my training. It takes me all my change to actually get in my basement/garage and start lifting. My night routine with the kids is probably a curlpit of what's sapping my mentality (I don't train until my 3 year old is down for the night which is around 9-10pm these days). Currently i'm 31 yo, 6 foot, 217 pounds, 20+% BF, I feel I have very little energy after my day of work and taking care of the kids, but I've managed to squeeze 3-4 workouts per week since early december (if we discard mexico and the week of christmas)

I find it really hard to get motivated at the moment, I try to read, to bathe into some motivational speech/videos about training. But I still wonder how others do it. I thought this would be a good way to share my journey and how I'm dealing with it and to get some real life feedback from people around my area that might be going through some similar stuff or people that overcame it with strategies (or some it's purely superior will power) I even wonder how myself was able to string 1.5 years of hardcore training while going to school and working fulltime with almost 1 year of it being with a newborn...

What is your story? Don't hesitate to comment or suggest anything.

BTW je suis francophone mais on dirait que le forum de bodybuilding est plus anglo... désolé je sais qu'on est au QC ;)

moi je ne vais pas au gym, la seule façon que j'ai trouvé de me tenir en forme c'est de faire un sport que j'aime. Si en plus le sport que tu aimes offre la possibilité de faire de la compétition, c'est plus motivant de s'entrainer.

Moi je fais un sport d'endurance d'équipe et pendant la off season, j'ai pas le choix de m'entrainer fort car je ne veux pas être le boulet de l'équipe rendu à l'été. Pendant l'été et bien c'est 3-4 entrainements par semaine alors pas le choix d'y aller.

Perso je ne suis pas capable d'aller au gym faire des poids juste pour avoir un plus beau look. Certains y trouvent du plaisir, pas moi. Si tu t'entraines pour quelque chose, c'est généralement plus motivant que juste par culpabilité.

Si tu veux garder ta motivation et que tu as de la difficulté avec le gym, trouve une activité intense que tu aimes. C'est sur que faire du sport ça ne donne pas des muscles comme les gars qui s'entrainent en gym mais ça dépend de ce que tu veux.

I don't have time right now to post a long story, but have you considered re starting 5x5?

What's great about it is that you start light, you can blast through a workout in 40 minutes. it builds the routine, so that when thing get heavy, you're already into a routine.

I tend to do 8 weeks of 5x5 til I peak, 4-6 weeks of volume/bodybuilding, then back on a 5x5.

Hey guys,

Thought i'd open up about this since I'm currently struggling a bit juggling with personal life, work, training, etc. I did not quite regain a rythm that I consider good to be in an healthy shape or in a healthy routine let's say.

Background
I've always been pretty active during my school years and up until I started working at a desk job in 2008 (yeah 9 years ago...) I was snowboarding (teacher for kids+casual rider) swimming (lifeguard from 16 year old to 23) and was maintaining alot of activities while never really training in a gym.

The first fall
During that whole period (until 23 years old) i was always around 170-180 pretty lean, not very muscular but decently shaped I'd say. When i settled down, got my desk job and current GF (around the same time) I slowly began to do less and less while eating more and more (having a good disposable income at the time while I had no house or car to pay).. In more or less 5 years I ballooned up to 230 pounds without really noticing it and it hit me back in christmas 2012 after coming back from a trip to Jamaica, I was a fat SOB...

The first shock
I was completely shocked to notice i had 25% bodyfat (probablymore) and began training like a motherfucker. I was enrolled in my project management masters, 2 class per week (6 to 9) I was training 5 or 6 days a week (even after my night classes when i had too) and had my full time job. My GF was also pregnant at that moment of our first kid (she is now 3.5 years old). I cleaned up my diet alot, but did not count my calories, i was eating "cleanish" and training a hell of a lot. It took me about 1 year to get down to 190 pounds close to 10% bodyfat

The second fall
At that time the pedal was still floored, we were approaching summer 2014, my little girls 1 year old birthday was coming up and the training lifestyle exploded; I had been in a really rocky up and down relationship with my GF because of it. I had no life really and I barely saw my kid (she was asleep when i left for work and 50% of the time she was asleep when i was back home at night) It had been close to 1.5 year I was going hard in the gym and not letting go and I gradually started to make concessions, I had been training with 2 friends during that whole time (1 during the first 4 months and another one afterward) and alot of friction happened between me, my GF and them. Fast forward a bit, me training alone, decreasing training frequency and not watching my diet my 2nd kid was born in october 2015 and I was focusing on keeping me and my GF out of the insanity state of mind that 2 kids can put you through. And we finally arrive to christmas 2015... I had been off training for maybe a few months at that time with a few burst of training a month and then taking a month off.. But the harsh reality is that I was 225 pounds 20%+ bodyfat. It felt horrible...

Drastic measures
In 2016 I felt like nothing was working, I decided to get on the ketosis bandwagon (going against the advice of all my friends who were training or in nutrition/kinesiology) it made me want it more and without much training (a bit of insanity or p90x that went inconsistently) and 3 months later I was at 197 pounds looking a bit better but weakened by the lack of training. April was around the corner and my family has a sugar shack and I finally broke and went off Ketosis, I was just starting 5x5 training at the time and decided I needed the carbs. I maintained the 5x5 for 2 months and fell in the loop again went back up to 220 pounds by the end of the year (oh by the way I did buy a squat rack for my house and a bench during that time that has seen maybe 4 months of use until today)

A new hope?
By the end of 2016 i decided to leverage again the gym I had bought and started doing 10x10 (German Volume Training) I started back in december and did 4 solid weeks followed by 2 weeks off (went in mexico and had the holidays aswell) and I'm on my second week back on my training. It takes me all my change to actually get in my basement/garage and start lifting. My night routine with the kids is probably a curlpit of what's sapping my mentality (I don't train until my 3 year old is down for the night which is around 9-10pm these days). Currently i'm 31 yo, 6 foot, 217 pounds, 20+% BF, I feel I have very little energy after my day of work and taking care of the kids, but I've managed to squeeze 3-4 workouts per week since early december (if we discard mexico and the week of christmas)

I find it really hard to get motivated at the moment, I try to read, to bathe into some motivational speech/videos about training. But I still wonder how others do it. I thought this would be a good way to share my journey and how I'm dealing with it and to get some real life feedback from people around my area that might be going through some similar stuff or people that overcame it with strategies (or some it's purely superior will power) I even wonder how myself was able to string 1.5 years of hardcore training while going to school and working fulltime with almost 1 year of it being with a newborn...

What is your story? Don't hesitate to comment or suggest anything.

BTW je suis francophone mais on dirait que le forum de bodybuilding est plus anglo... désolé je sais qu'on est au QC ;)

read my thread and learn to weight what you eat ;)

Si tu veux garder ta motivation et que tu as de la difficulté avec le gym, trouve une activité intense que tu aimes. C'est sur que faire du sport ça ne donne pas des muscles comme les gars qui s'entrainent en gym mais ça dépend de ce que tu veux.

Tu as raison, par contre niveau temps pour le moment je suis un peu contraint, mes disponibilité avec les kids sont trop tard le soir pour la plupart des activités que je voudrais faire. Mais je pense qu'on pourra s'en sortir quand ils seront un peu plus vieux.

I don't have time right now to post a long story, but have you considered re starting 5x5?

I really liked 5x5 for the lenght i did it. I'd say it's a fun training, but pushing for higher weight at each time near failure made me stress out a bit about it. Now i'm doing 10x10 which is very similar in terms of exercice. It's less focused on strenght and I'm enjoying it for now. I've been re-reading about trainings and it seems neither of them is optimal in terms of training for aethetics though. I might hop on a more classic PPL routine

read my thread and learn to weight what you eat ;)

Been really on and off the tracking of calories an nutrient. My eye has become pretty good at gaging what I'm eating, it's more the quantitative effect that's catching me up. But yeah I think i should put more effort into logging in Myfitnesspal to be a bit more aware of what I eat.

So far this week has been pretty good (on track with trainings, had good sessions), it helps to vent a bit, thanks guys :)

Tu as raison, par contre niveau temps pour le moment je suis un peu contraint, mes disponibilité avec les kids sont trop tard le soir pour la plupart des activités que je voudrais faire. Mais je pense qu'on pourra s'en sortir quand ils seront un peu plus vieux.

I really liked 5x5 for the lenght i did it. I'd say it's a fun training, but pushing for higher weight at each time near failure made me stress out a bit about it. Now i'm doing 10x10 which is very similar in terms of exercice. It's less focused on strenght and I'm enjoying it for now. I've been re-reading about trainings and it seems neither of them is optimal in terms of training for aethetics though. I might hop on a more classic PPL routine

Been really on and off the tracking of calories an nutrient. My eye has become pretty good at gaging what I'm eating, it's more the quantitative effect that's catching me up. But yeah I think i should put more effort into logging in Myfitnesspal to be a bit more aware of what I eat.

So far this week has been pretty good (on track with trainings, had good sessions), it helps to vent a bit, thanks guys :)

German style (10x10) and Stronglift (5x5 good old rippletoe system) have NOTHING to do between one and another.

German style (10x10) and Stronglift (5x5 good old rippletoe system) have NOTHING to do between one and another.

I did not say it was similar, one is hypertrophy/volume the other is pure strenght. I said I used very similar exercices..

I do squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, bent over rows in 10x10 format. Keeping accessories movement in 3x12 or whatever i feel appropriate.

My routine looks alot like a 5x5 routine, except it's 10x10 with 50-60% of my 1RM

Back