AC Launches Own FF Program - Aeroplan Program Impact

Dibbs

Pour ceux qui ont pas mal de points aeroplan... regardez les nouvelles ce matin.

Air Canada va lancer son propre programme, les points aeroplan seront transferables, mais pas beaucoup de details sur la suite.

le stock est down 55% a l'ouverture...

je veux pas sonner alarmiste, mais si tout le monde decide d'utiliser leur points en meme temps, il y aura pas assez de cash dans la compagnie pour payer les primes.

Ils ont pour $3bn de primes non-reclamées pis seulement ~$500mm en liquidités.

Tant qu'ils sont membres de Star Alliance ca change pas grand chose je dirais.

C'est comme toutes les autres compagnies membres de star alliance ui ont chacun leur progrmme, tant que tu as aeroplan tu peux voyager sur leurs ailes.

Jconnais pas vraiment le programme, mais c'est quel genre de rewards? Cashback, credit towards plane tickets, boutique de bébelles overpriced, cartes cadeaux?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Jconnais pas vraiment le programme, mais c'est quel genre de rewards? Cashback, credit towards plane tickets, boutique de bébelles overpriced, cartes cadeaux?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Billet, upgrades, et des cossins overpriced

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

J'ai 300 000 points.

"The Montreal-based airline said Aeroplan members can continue to earn and redeem miles until June 29, 2020, which is when Air Canada’s agreement with Aimia – which owns and runs Aeroplan – expires.

After that, miles earned will be credited to the new program."

Mias je m'en fous un peu, tant que c'est crédité 1 pour 1

J'ai 300 000 points.

"The Montreal-based airline said Aeroplan members can continue to earn and redeem miles until June 29, 2020, which is when Air Canada’s agreement with Aimia – which owns and runs Aeroplan – expires.

After that, miles earned will be credited to the new program."

Mias je m'en fous un peu, tant que c'est crédité 1 pour 1

c'est plus compliqué que ca. le probleme est le suivant: Qui est responsable pour payer la redemption des points avant et apres 2020? Aimia ou Air Canada?

De facon logique, Air Canada ne va pas seulement assumer la valeur des points sans qu'Aimia les compensent et Aimia ne semble pas avoir d'argent pour payer ces redemptions.

Si Aimia n'ont pas d'argent pour funder les redemptions, ils vont devaluer les points. Si le public n'ont plus confiance en Aimia, les gens vont redeem leur points et il va y avoir un bank run.

Ouin je vois ce que tu veux dire.

Ce qui va arriver à ce moment là c'est un gros dilemme pour Air Canada. Envoyer chier les clients Aeroplan et s'exposer à des poursuites - et perdre des clients comme moi - pour avoir "vendu" les bénéfices d'Aeroplan même en sachant ce qui pouvait arriver,

ou encore "patcher" pour les clients en leur créditant les points au nouveau service, ce qui leur coute pas grand chose à faire.

Ouin je vois ce que tu veux dire.

Ce qui va arriver à ce moment là c'est un gros dilemme pour Air Canada. Envoyer chier les clients Aeroplan et s'exposer à des poursuites - et perdre des clients comme moi - pour avoir "vendu" les bénéfices d'Aeroplan même en sachant ce qui pouvait arriver,

ou encore "patcher" pour les clients en leur créditant les points au nouveau service, ce qui leur coute pas grand chose à faire.

absolument... dans ce genre de situation, timing is of the essence. Si t'as $3 milliards de liabilities et $500mm de cash pour payer, pis t'as un headline comme celui ci sur la presse (Air Canada Abandonne Aeroplan, L'Action d'Aimia degringole)

Les consommateurs capotent et redeem leur points... et la spirale de la mort s'en suit (pour aimia).

Souvenez-vous du debacle de Air Miles (pas exactement similaire, mais plutot l'attitude troupeau)

absolument... dans ce genre de situation, timing is of the essence. Si t'as $3 milliards de liabilities et $500mm de cash pour payer, pis t'as un headline comme celui ci sur la presse (Air Canada Abandonne Aeroplan, L'Action d'Aimia degringole)

Les consommateurs capotent et redeem leur points... et la spirale de la mort s'en suit (pour aimia).

Souvenez-vous du debacle de Air Miles (pas exactement similaire, mais plutot l'attitude troupeau)

Devaluation is innevitable, also if you hold on to those aeroplans until a conversion you'll get screwed. AC will absolutely use the conversion period to devalue that liability.

I'm curious to see how the new program will be structured, will AC push into the credit card business like Rogers has been doing? I'm almost certain that they'll be making it much more difficult to earn miles especially non-status ones, they already did last year.

Jesus Aeroplan accounts for 71% of revenue for Aimia in 2016.

Devaluation is innevitable, also if you hold on to those aeroplans until a conversion you'll get screwed. AC will absolutely use the conversion period to devalue that liability.

I'm curious to see how the new program will be structured, will AC push into the credit card business like Rogers has been doing? I'm almost certain that they'll be making it much more difficult to earn miles especially non-status ones, they already did last year.

Jesus Aeroplan accounts for 71% of revenue for Aimia in 2016.

yeah I agree with you. I do think that points will be devalued between now and then, and that creates an issue for both companies: financially for Aimia and from a brand perspective for AC. AC could spin this to its advantage though... and saying that points will be stronger because they're now fully controlled by AC, so not at risk.

As for the future of the program, I'm not sure how it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if over time, AC realized that aeroplan members overwhelmingly redeem flight rewards and so having a network of suppliers is a bit useless and therefore seeing financial benefit in forcing members to redeem flights with them. What's missing tho, is who will be the accumulation partner? I doubt AC wants to be a bank, so they'll likely put this up for tender...!

Anyway, bottom line is that these announcements were very light on detail and there is much speculation at this point... but as a significant points holder, I guess I'm lucky to be currently planning a vacation in June?

yeah I agree with you. I do think that points will be devalued between now and then, and that creates an issue for both companies: financially for Aimia and from a brand perspective for AC. AC could spin this to its advantage though... and saying that points will be stronger because they're now fully controlled by AC, so not at risk.

As for the future of the program, I'm not sure how it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if over time, AC realized that aeroplan members overwhelmingly redeem flight rewards and so having a network of suppliers is a bit useless and therefore seeing financial benefit in forcing members to redeem flights with them. What's missing tho, is who will be the accumulation partner? I doubt AC wants to be a bank, so they'll likely put this up for tender...!

Anyway, bottom line is that these announcements were very light on detail and there is much speculation at this point... but as a significant points holder, I guess I'm lucky to be currently planning a vacation in June?

If the aeroplan/aimia product continues to exist it will be exactly like Air Miles, you can book flights with partner airlines but it will be at a terrible rate with almost no availability. I'm curious to see how AC will manage the transition, ideally they'll make more seats available for redemption but I doubt they'll do that.

I'd put some money down on AMEX going pretty hard to be the partner they have to make up for losing Costco.

Home capital, Aimia, même combat.

Home capital is getting crushed because you can withdraw cash,

Aimia can severely limit what they make available for redemption to stem the flow if they need to.

If the aeroplan/aimia product continues to exist it will be exactly like Air Miles, you can book flights with partner airlines but it will be at a terrible rate with almost no availability. I'm curious to see how AC will manage the transition, ideally they'll make more seats available for redemption but I doubt they'll do that.

I'd put some money down on AMEX going pretty hard to be the partner they have to make up for losing Costco.

If only amex has a good offering for Canadian consumers. I can't use my god damned amex anywhere...

Aimia can severely limit what they make available for redemption to stem the flow if they need to.

yes but you've admitted to capitulation at that point and time. there's no going back from a significant devaluation. banana currency.

TD also published a press release saying they're committed to bringing value to their credit card customers... but not really saying they support Aimia lol

Messemble Aéroplan peut être échangé 1:1 sur certains autres programmes de cies aériennes non? Ça serait une bonne chose à faire...

Messemble Aéroplan peut être échangé 1:1 sur certains autres programmes de cies aériennes non? Ça serait une bonne chose à faire...

pourquoi? si c'est pour conserver la valeur de tes points / mettre a l'abri d'une devaluation? oui ca pourrait l'etre.

Back